Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
This post speaks less to the style of new models and more to the technology. When I buy a bike it is with the expectation that I will do all or almost all of the maintenance. And it is certainly with the expectation that when something breaks, at home or on the road, I am responsible for knowing what needs to be done to fix it.

So any great leap in technology - fuel injection on the K bikes, ABS I, II, iABS, Canbus, etc. is my responsibility to figure out. And, to figure out without benefit of a dedicated new model school put on by BMW. So each leap forward is faced with some trepidation.

I used to use a dwell meter. Now I use a GS-911. I used to set carb floats. Now I adjust the TPS.

Every model I have ever worked on had troublesome warts: slingers, broken transmission springs and shift kits, missing circlips, spline wear, burned out fans, HES wiring, water pump issues, antenna ring failures, axle tube defects, and/or whatever.

Almost without exception, each technology advance has made the bikes more trouble free, not less so. But there is a steep learning curve to cover the exceptions. That is the way it is. They have added a dozen or so new elements to the Periodic Table of Elements, and are talking about the Higgs Boson, absolutely inconceivable in my school days. Time marches on. With us or without us. And to our benefit or detriment. It is our choice.
IMO, Paul's post should be made into a sticky that gets pointed to every time someone asks why things aren't as good as they were in the "old days." It applies to technology and life in general.

Praraphrasing just a bit. "Things in life change. There can be a steep learning curve for some new things. That's the way it is. Time marches on. With us or without us. To our benefit or detriment. It is our choice." That's a pretty good philosophy for life.