Thread: Old dog, new forum member

Old dog, new forum member

Hello!

Been a BMW rider since around 1976, and currently have a number of Beemers:
    2 R27's, R50/2, R80ST, R80RS, R75/5, 2 1200C's and an R65LS.

I also do a lot of British and Italian restorations, so that is where I spend most of my time. Needless to say, the Brits and Italians take a LOt more to keep running!

However, the two R27's are both restoration projects and I will be starting on them soon, so I figure I should get involved with a BMW forum. I was a member of the OA years ago, and it's about time I re-joined.

Glad to be back!

Glad you're back! That's quite a nice range of bikes...enough to keep you off the streets, huh? The R80RS is a custom job, no doubt... The guys in the Airhead forum would be interested in seeing pictures of that. Consider posting a picture or two in the thread we've started for bike pics.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The R80RS is a custom job, no doubt... The guys in the Airhead forum would be interested in seeing pictures of that. Consider posting a picture or two in the thread we've started for bike pics.
    Yeah, glad someone caught that. I never really cared for the 1000cc versions of the airhead. Always seemed a little buzzy to me. Many years ago, I'd been touring on an old R75/5 for years, and was thinking of upgrading to an R100RS. I rode a few but didn't like the feel. So I found a wrecked R80RT and built it in to an RS.

It's amazing how simple that is. Most of the fairing parts are the same, other than the center piece and mounts. And the result is everything I had hoped it would be. Smooth, plenty fast and gorgeous. I'll try to find a pic for the airhead forum.

I've been retired from long range touring for some time now, but I ride the ST every day it isn't snowing. Sounds like the airhead forum is the place for me!

Why limit yourself to the Airheads? Log on and hit the New Posts button. There's always good chatter going on.

Welcome back

Glad to see other more distinguished members returning to the Club... I was a member back in the early '80 and drifted in and out for a number of years. Let us know how your restorations are coming along...Your experience will benefit the club.

again, welcome back.

dwb
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by rsbeemer View Post
    Glad to see other more distinguished members returning to the Club... I was a member back in the early '80 and drifted in and out for a number of years. Let us know how your restorations are coming along...Your experience will benefit the club.

again, welcome back.

dwb
    OK, dude, who you callin' "Distinguished"? More like old, grizzled, fat, bald and grumpy!

But yeah, I think it's good to be back. Even though my long haul touring days are behind me, the Beemers are still my first love.

Funny though, I've spent most of the last 40 years restoring old Brit's and Italian bikes, but I always RIDE the Beemers. I spend a lot of time on the Britbike forum where I can share a lot of what I've learned, but over here I'll be asking more questions than I'll be answering. I've had these two little R27's for years, and am really looking forward to that project.

So far I like the tone of this site, but then I shouldn't be surprised. Beemer folk always were first class!