Thread: Shipping a R100rs

Question Shipping a R100rs

Could one of you rs riders please tell me some dimensions of a 1978 r100rs? I am buying one and will have to have it shipped. One shipping company said they have a container they can put it in and fly it in. The container is 61" long 44" wide and 44" tall and that is inside measurements. Cost for shipping ($898.) I used to have an RS but I don't remember the sizes. I could have the faring shield taken off and of course the bags but still not sure it will work. The gentleman I'm buying it from said it was 91" long. That seems awful long to me but maybe it is. And 50" tall with faring shield off. If someone would confirm that I would appreciate it. Also, I'm having the bike shipped from Portland, Or. to New Braunfels, Tx. Does anyone know a good shipper that they could recommend? The other alternative is to fly there and ride it back but I'm from South Texas and I'm old and allergic to cold, especially the Portland, Or. kind. Ok, I'm a wuss
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

where are you getting it shipped from

Have you checked UShip?
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

There's a whole bunch of shipping companies list at the bottom of this link:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47142

In the recent past, there was a discussion on shipping and recommendations, although I can't seem to find it. I found this one, although it was a while back:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39340&
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thanks Guys

From the info I have seen here, the shipping container is not big enough. So, I will check out some of the other places you recommended like U-ship, etc. Thanks again for your time. DW
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    maybe the current owner can go to a bmw dealer and buy one of their shipping crates that new bikes come in.

but at $898 and the bike is here in the states, you can fly in and ride it home that cheap,

if near enough even rent a u haul type van and bring it home yourself, around here one of the companies is like 28 a day, plus fuel and miles
    you might even find somone who will do it for you , for a price and maybe still be under that 898

I just used USHIP for a delivery from GA to NY

and it my baby came home in perfect condition, and without incident. For about 1/2 of what you are talking.....

as an aside, the driver did tell me that a lot of the delivery guys are take the rest of Dec. off for the holidays.

YMMV
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

shop-it

Uship you'll get bids. Best I've had from them was a fella with a 5th wheel trailer.
    Easy load, backed right up my narrow and steep driveway. Cost was about $450 for a R100GSPD loaded down.

I recently shipped an RS to MI from CA. Buyer chose to go with HaulBikes. A huge 18 wheeler, forget the driveway, "We don't do dirt". Easy enough at 4AM, but delayed a week and cost the buyer in excess of $600...

Shop around, U-ship has references and reviews. Bike dimensions shouldn't be an issue (unless maybe it's a AA dragbike!).

"...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

Give Tim a call. He is out of Topeka. So central to your pickup and delivery. We've had many bikes shipped with him. Top notch! No need to remove parts.

http://www.curvesaheadtransport.com/

or 1 800 869 4140

BMW friendly BTW.
    BMWMOA 99019 - 1970 R75/5; 1983 R80RT; R100 Cafe; K1200RS (gone but not forgotten)

Robrob
    You could fly me up and I'll ride it back for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Robrob View Post
    You could fly me up and I'll ride it back for you.
    or I could ride it down and you could fly me back. (does it have an accessory jack?)

Talking Wow! such nice offers..

Thanks again. I have since gotten in touch with Allied van lines; they have a special bike shipping dept. I can get it shipped from his door in Portland, Or. to me in Texas for about $600. That is less than I can fly there for and then ride it home, all things considered. So, that is what I will do. I appreciate all the info. I did check some of the others and this was either the cheapest or the others did not get back to me. Can't wait to get my new ride; you all know the feeling.

thanks again, DW