Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New member / new bike

The Dyna III is a common replacement for the points. However, it it works (the points), why fit it.

I hope you still have the points plate and advance unit, they're pricey, $175 & $277 at Hucky's. The ponts by themselves are under $20.

Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

The ponts by themselves are under $20.
    And specifically order "Noris" brand points... they're German. There are cheap Asian parts being offered that do not fit.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

protomike64
    Picture is from 3 days ago. I work pretty fast. I have a small machine shop in my garage. Used to work on bikes in Minnesota racing motocross for many years. Some good friends of mine have a Ducati shop back there. Used to hang out there all the time. The cafe thing has gotton me back into street bikes. This thing is perfect. I'm real excited to get her going. I traded for a bike I had $300 into. I have some room to spend some money. Sound like it's its worth more than $300 bucks.

Sound like it's its worth more than $300 bucks.
    Nice shape and running; three large, give or take a bit. Concourse-quality restoration six to eight, if you found the right party. Cafe, whatever the market will be.

Check out Shane's rebuild thread. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51716

Lew Morris

I'll give you $400 right now. Big profit

Look around and you'll see the value of this bike. If you parted it out (please don't!) I'd guess it's worth around $2000. That "toaster" tank in good nick (good paint, no rust, no dents) is worth $500.

While you're fixing the head, think about replacing the rings and a valve job (if needed) since you'll be into the top end. From the limited pictures this looks like a keeper. A few hundred bucks and it's back on the road.

You touched on the subject of cafe bikes. It's easy to do a mild cafe on this bike, a gunfighter seat, low bars will really change the look and easy to reverse the process to return it back to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by protomike64 View Post
    Picture is from 3 days ago. I work pretty fast. I have a small machine shop in my garage. Used to work on bikes in Minnesota racing motocross for many years. Some good friends of mine have a Ducati shop back there. Used to hang out there all the time. The cafe thing has gotton me back into street bikes. This thing is perfect. I'm real excited to get her going. I traded for a bike I had $300 into. I have some room to spend some money. Sound like it's its worth more than $300 bucks.
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

protomike64
    That's the look i'm goin for. I kinda even like the old stock paint. No way would I part it out. Me and her already have a relationship. It will run soon. Spring is just around the corner. Motor and wheels go on tonight to check frame.

Whats the best ignition system for these bikes? I like points myself, are they reliable if set right?
    I recently installed a Boyer Microdigital ignition system in mine- I'm very impressed with the way the engine runs now vs. with the points set-up (even with the Dyna ignition booster I had installed with the points). I had a Dyna III years ago that was good also, but I prefer the Boyer. I like the simplicity of the design, which eliminates the mechanical advance.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

protomike64
    Nothin came with the bike. No advance, points, condenser. Sounds like I would be better off to spend the money on the Boyer stuff. Who's got a right head and valve cover?

Who's got a right head and valve cover?
    As mentioned, there are a number of salvage places that you can try. Check here:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47142

for links to things like that. One salvage place run by a good guy, Mikey, is Airhead Salvage:

http://www.airheadsalvage.com

The tech forum is not the place to buy/sell/trade items. Please look into the usual Internet places and salvage yards. Deals handled by PM are great...just keep the direct stuff off the tech forum. Thanks!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Sounds like I would be better off to spend the money on the Boyer stuff.
    That way, when it stops running some night you'll have no clue what happened to it, or where to start looking... just my $.02USD.

My /5 is thirty-eight years old and still running on points & condenser (with spares under the seat).

Lew Morris

protomike64
    Good point on the points. Sorry bout the search for parts but can't find anything local. Thanks for the leads.... thats all I was lookin for. I'm a new guy here.

Found these for sale

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=34435

I personally might have a lead on a pair for cheap. One problem, one of them is damaged and I don't know which one. It's a 50/50 shot.

Edit: Found the guy, and got a (bad) picture. Said the right head (sorry) ate a valve and damaged a (both?) valve seats. The valve guide may or may not be okay. I think I can get the damaged head for $20. Would you be interested? If so I'll follow up.
    Picts

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    One salvage place run by a good guy, Mikey, is Airhead Salvage:

http://www.airheadsalvage.com
    Mikey is also very helpful for technical questions. He can give you good info on the Boyer set-up as well if you choose to pursue it.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

protomike64
    Quote Originally Posted by subagon View Post
    Found these for sale

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=34435

I personally might have a lead on a pair for cheap. One problem, one of them is damaged and I don't know which one. It's a 50/50 shot.

Edit: Found the guy, and got a (bad) picture. Said the right head (sorry) ate a valve and damaged a (both?) valve seats. The valve guide may or may not be okay. I think I can get the damaged head for $20. Would you be interested? If so I'll follow up.
    Ill pay for a good one. Thank for checkin. You guys are way awesome.

protomike64

Frame #s

2999584 is the number on this bike .... not too far off. How many LWB 75/5's are there?