Thread: New member / new bike

Hybrid View

protomike64

New member / new bike

Traded a old honda for 73 75/5 toaster. It needs some work but not real bad. I need to replace the right head and wondered which years/ models interchange. The bike looks pretty cool but dont know much about them. All the body work head light stuff is there and in great shape. I think it hit a curb then got parked. is it worth fixn?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it worth fixing? YESSSSS

It is one of my favorite models, I love the tank. I don't have one, and never have, but if things worked out I could see myself with one. Welcome to the Forum and post photos as you work on it.

Wayne

Total write off... I'll take it off your hands, no charge

Not sure what heads you can use, I do know the rockers changed in '74 (http://www.largiader.com/tech/rockers/). How about a picture of the damaged head?

The best thing you can do is to join the Airheads (airheads.org) in your area. Most hold Tech Days where you'll be shown how to fix your bike. Many experts who can figure out your problems. I was at a Tech day here in Florida yesterday. I took a dissembled gearbox to get opinions on what was needed to fix it.

Edit: Looked at Max BWM website and the part # for your head is 11121337870. This same part number is used for the all R75's (/5, /6, /7). Other here will be able to say if you could use a head from a different bike.
    Last edited by subagon; 12-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Mike Barfield - Plant City, FL
    '07 R1200 GS - '75 R90/6 - '93 R100GS PD - '71 R60/5 - 2 X '73 R75/5 LWB - '83 R80 ST
    Picts

birdmanbmw
    Welcome--- and nice bike. Good luck with the project.

michaelc
    Unless your new bike is seriously effed up on the inside, I'd say you definitely got the better end of that deal. Very nice work! 1973 R75/5 LWB (Long Wheelbase, which yours looks like it could be) Toasters are among the most desirable BMW bikes of the 70's, and yours looks to be in very nice condition!

Welcome aboard Mike. What a sweetie!!! Too bad it's a total write off. I'd leave it out on the curb for the scrap guys ... where'd you say you live?

I've been riding a '73 R75/5 since 1974. Take a bunch of detail shots of it for us.

Did you mean "head" or "valve cover"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner