Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite beemer

Quote Originally Posted by ridewv View Post
    My R1200GS is a great motorcycle and probably the best motorcycle I've owned. As far as my favorite? It's between my old 1991 R100GS (pictured) and the 1993 R100R I currently own. I guess I'll give the nod to the R100GS as the most fun and versatile.

very nice

Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    very nice
    Thanks!
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

scqtt
    I like to LOOK at my 1150 Adventure & Boxer Cup Replika (& also the R100RS, but I have never owned one)

To ride? the 1200 Adventure, is an ugly beast, but she does all the right things.

I could easily apply this analogy to women, but it would get way too graphic for this crowd.

I have had several oilhead GS's including my new to me 2009 GSA. GS is my favorite.
    Mike M
    2014 GSA
    MOA# 86571

I've had five. Two RTs, one F650 GS, one '81 R 100, one new R 1200GS. I still have the R 100 and the 1200 GS and the favorite hands down is the 1200 GS. The 650 GS was top runner 'till I got the 1200 GS.

Favorite Beemer

As has been noted, it's a tough call. Personally, if I were to be asked that question while riding, the answer would in all probability be "The one I'm now riding." But sitting before the keyboard, I would have to say it's my 1988 R100GS. That has been the most versatile, trouble-free bike I have ever owned. It does everything I've ever asked quite well. After owning the bike since new, I still am surprised how well that tiny fairing works on tours. And the bike is something of a burro or even an ox. One year it carried my wife and I plus all our camping gear all over the west for one month! My Bumble Bee is simply an amazing motorcycle!

Favorite ?

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    Favorite is so subjective. Like asking a parent which child they prefer.

The pleasures that I derive from riding and admiring both my BMW's do not permit me to chose one over the other. They each have their own charms and convey a certain je ne sais quoi quality about them.
    I agree somewhat with the quote from Johnny. But............In order of the BMW's I have owned..........

r75/5 most reliable.......... purchased in the early '70's

1974 r90s most fun and coolest.....purchased in the late '70's

1980 R100rs Euro Md owned for 30 years most enjoyable to ride touring but burned in 2010............purchased in 1980

1987 K75s smoothest ever owned but did not care for the hi reving engine....purchased in 2010

2004 R1150rs fastest ever owned but least enjoyable, too much technology.....purchased in 2010

1978 R100rs that I have just purchased this past Dec. 2011

I liked and enjoyed them all but my favorite touring bike would have to be the R100rs. It has very good wind protection, easy to work on, enough power for me when I was young and still now that I'm old. In my humble opinion it is the most beautiful BMW ever produced by far.
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

moosedog
    Had an 02 K12RS, beautiful, fast, smooooooth. After 30K miles, sold it and bought an 02 R1150RT (silver), protection, comfort, personality. Is now for sale with 62K miles on it. Have to make room for my new acquisition and favorite BMW, an 02 1150RT (black) with only 8K miles!!!! A perfect all around bike and is so much better looking than the 1200 RT's.

Ride well and be safe.

johnnywishbone

i like this bike, but....

it makes me dress funny!!

Sweet bike,
    Nice power ranger suit.

Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    Favorite is so subjective. Like asking a parent which child they prefer.

The pleasures that I derive from riding and admiring both my BMW's do not permit me to chose one over the other. They each have their own charms and convey a certain je ne sais quoi quality about them.
    Johnny, are you a politician, by chance?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Johnny, are you a politician, by chance?
    Have my years as a civil servant tainted me that much...
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

On purely sentimental grounds, my RS would win

Based on the bike I like riding the most and the one that has treated me the best, my current scoot, my second S wins

R80ST forever, for me

For me its my 1983 R80ST. Often touted as the best handling bike BMW ever made, this one got even better.
    Everything anyone has complained about in print with R80ST's has been corrected on my bike. R80ST's have flippy front forks? Fine, R100GS forks installed, with progressive wound springs. The OEM shock is awful? Fine, installed a Wilbers, set up for my weight. The battery is too small? OK, R100GS battery installed. Brakes are very inadequate on the R80ST? Fine, dual caliper Brembo disc's installed that stop this baby on a dime ("...and give you 9 cents change," as Bill Cosby said long ago). Tube tires are a headache to change? OK, tubeless Excel rims done by Woody's solved that issue.
    Top it off with bead bleasting the motor and powder coating the black until it is so clean you can eat off of it, and I have my perfect bike.
    1983 R80ST
    2010 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar001 View Post
    For me its my 1983 R80ST. Often touted as the best handling bike BMW ever made, this one got even better.
    Everything anyone has complained about in print with R80ST's has been corrected on my bike. R80ST's have flippy front forks? Fine, R100GS forks installed, with progressive wound springs. The OEM shock is awful? Fine, installed a Wilbers, set up for my weight. The battery is too small? OK, R100GS battery installed. Brakes are very inadequate on the R80ST? Fine, dual caliper Brembo disc's installed that stop this baby on a dime ("...and give you 9 cents change," as Bill Cosby said long ago). Tube tires are a headache to change? OK, tubeless Excel rims done by Woody's solved that issue.
    Top it off with bead bleasting the motor and powder coating the black until it is so clean you can eat off of it, and I have my perfect bike.
    That is a sweet bike. I'd love to have one like it. I found a photo of it over on the airheads forum. Got anything more recent, or is it pretty much up to date?
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.