Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: planning a trip 2 Nova Scotia> Niagra Falls

Paul is right, once you get into Niagara on the Lake make sure you take River Rd.
    south to Fort Erie, about 30 miles of million dollar homes 60 km road past
    Niagara Falls. Lots to sightsee and beautiful ride along the niagara River.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Thumbs up SO much great advice...

you guys are awesome,

Thanks!

We may have to rethink this a bit.... of course our real problem is time. I am with all of you in that i don't like whirl-wind tours- they leave you feeling like you have missed the Heart and Soul of a place. To miss the H&S of Nova Scotia might be regrettable!

Perhaps, as someone suggested, we might just forget about going over to Niagra Falls, and spend the bulk of our time on Nova Scotia as everyone suggests, then meander over to Quebec for a taste of that great city (one night, maybe two), and just go home from there. It looks like we'll have two weeks, with weekends on either end.

Reality check please?

We definitely will take US 1 from Round Pond ME up to St John (if they open a ferry from Portland to (Yarmouth?) Nova Scotia, we'll re-think that). We'd probably want to take the slower route and the small ferries and crossings. I see a night in St John. Google Maps puts it about 5-6 hours from Round Pond to St John (?)

Next day, we take the ferry over to Digby, and meander our way along the coast for a full day to a night's stay in Lunenburg. it's unclear to me but i think it's realistic to expect to do this in a day of riding the slower, coastal roads?

I'll have to really look at the locations of that small beach, the Glenora Distillery, and the other nice suggestions, to see where along the way these places are- then we may adjust accordingly.

From Lunenburg, it looks like a full day up to Sydney? Sticking to the coast, maybe longer with another night's stay in there somewhere? We DO want to ride the Cabot Trail, and "do" Cape Breton. As i said, we will almost certainly get to the Distillery and the beach village mentioned above....

Leaving Nova Scotia, it seems like a solid two day ride to Matane? The ferry ride to Baie-Comeau and the ride down to Quebec in one day?

I really see this shaping up into two targets- Nova Scotia being primary and Quebec City (Olde Quebec) secondary- with some serious get-along up, to, between, and back. Well, *serious* being relative- with us still staying off the Superslabs, sticking to secondary roads... i guess by serious, i mean utility stops only with no real sight-seeing on these legs between, say, Nova Scotia and Quebec, for example, or between Quebec and home.
    The Scenic riding days will begin in earnest when we leave Round Pond to go North to St John, and end when we leave Nova Scotia- tho from Baie-Comeau down to Quebec will be a leisure run, i think- this looks like an easy day's ride.

As for the roads, suspension, and whatnot, my 93 RS has the Ohlins gas shock on it, so i'm guessing the suspension is OK here- Ohlins was at the National last summer and i had those guys "tune" my shock- which was far off the factory settings. It's now set for my weight and riding style. My alternate ride is my 88 K100, also with a recently rebuilt (by the factory) Ohlins gas shock... so i THINK we can handle whatever comes our way. Our travel partners are on a new D/S Moto Guzzi- i don't see them having any issues at all. We're planning no camping, so there's a huge load of gear we WON'T be toting. I don't see the bikes being overloaded, or packed to capacity.

SO...
    Thanks a million, everyone, for your input and suggestions. Please keep 'em coming. I love things like the small bakery, and the little beach village with square dancing. I think i can speak for everyone and say this is what we are looking to discover on this trip. This is the very stuff that, in my mind, comprises the heart and the soul of a place.

I've written this post before going back to the maps and PC, so please excuse if my proposed path has skipped any of the suggested stops.

Cheers, all!
    Have a great day.

Tom

Tom,
    That's a more realistic target. Take your time, Halifax is a lovely city, see Lunenburg, and spend at least two or three days on Cape Breton Island. Stop in at Pictou on your way to eastern Quebec, as well. You'll enjoy that pace much more.
    Last edited by 32232; 12-05-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Tom,
    That's a more realistic target. Take your time, Halifax is a lovely city, see Lunenburg, and spend at least two or three days on Cape Breton Island. Stop in at Pictou on yor way to eastern Quebec, as well. You'll enjoy that pace much more.
    Thanks Dave,
    looks like that's going to be the gist of our focus.
    we'll look at Pictou.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    I found that 2 weeks is Nova Scotia, Was, if anything, just enough! I didnt want to leave.
    Bob tell them about the Bakery near the ferry; I cant remember the name.
    more elaboration on the Bakery location, please? somewhere in St John? or Digby?

sounds like it's right up our alley!
    small places for good local food are exactly what we are looking to discover. any and all info on out of the way or low key spots to eat is A-OK.

we've decided not to go to Niagra and to just spend more time on Nova Scotia.
    we WILL get over to Old Quebec City for two nights.

we'll probably try the low key border crossing in St Stephen, might be a good place for lunch if anyone knows of a decent place in town there?

The bakery is not far from Lunenburg, towards Halifax. We spent several hours there.
    If you visit Quebec city, you can leave your bike close to the info booth and take a bus for $3.00 to the old city. You will want to leave your boots behind and wear walking shoes.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    The bakery is not far from Lunenburg, towards Halifax. We spent several hours there.
    If you visit Quebec city, you can leave your bike close to the info booth and take a bus for $3.00 to the old city. You will want to leave your boots behind and wear walking shoes.
    we are planning to stay 2 nights in Old Quebec City.

i was looking at reviews on Trip Advisor
    (a fantastic resource BTW) but what i really want to know- is there a GARAGE?- isn't what folks are talking about in their hotel reviews...

any advice about hotels in Old Quebec would really help. i know it's gonna be expensive but what the heck- i also know it'll be worth it. and a nice chance to just get of the bikes completely for a couple days...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    any advice about hotels in Old Quebec would really help. i know it's gonna be expensive but what the heck- i also know it'll be worth it. and a nice chance to just get of the bikes completely for a couple days...
    Well - there is Le Ch?óteau Frontenac.. (been staying there on and off for about 40 years.. it was a LOT cheaper 40 years ago..) http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac

The Frontenac is the premier hotel in the old city.. and the prices reflect that, but there are some deals to be found at it if you shop with things like Priceline and Orbitz. Right across the street is IMHO one of the world's best resturants (Aux Anciens Canadians), and the Frontenac is right on the boardwalk/prominade. You can walk to almost any old-city attraction you want to, tour buses leave from right in front, the funicular to the lower old city is right outside.. It's a great location, and if you're only doing it once, it's worth the $$$$. When we've stayed there (about a dozen times now..) we parked the car and spent several days walking. It is safe to walk at 2AM in the morning in old Quebec..

Bikes aren't allowed in the old city.. but you should be able to find parking not too far from the gates. I believe there are public buses you can then take into the old city. Just outside the gates of the old city there are some large chain hotels like Hilton, etc. Not bad - but modern. Small hotels and B&B's are all over - in and outside the old city. They usually have some parking available (for a price.)

FWIW - the first time we stayed in the Frontenac - we first had a room for $17/night. It was up in very top of the tower, and we found out about the early AM 21 gun salute for some battleship entering the city.. so we moved down a few floors and paid $14/night. Things have gone up just a bit since then..

Gotta get back there soon - hmmm.... always wanted to do the winter festival.. (January-February..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    more elaboration on the Bakery location, please? somewhere in St John? or Digby?

sounds like it's right up our alley!
    small places for good local food are exactly what we are looking to discover. any and all info on out of the way or low key spots to eat is A-OK.

we've decided not to go to Niagra and to just spend more time on Nova Scotia.
    we WILL get over to Old Quebec City for two nights.

we'll probably try the low key border crossing in St Stephen, might be a good place for lunch if anyone knows of a decent place in town there?
    see post #27; if you would like a map I can post. mmmmmm .... don't want to miss it eh? - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    see post #27; if you would like a map I can post. mmmmmm .... don't want to miss it eh? - Bob

got it Bob.
    thanks. that's the kind of stuff i typically seek out, the little places that make up the character of a place, a spot the average person passing thru might not find.

got it Bob.
    thanks. that's the kind of stuff i typically seek out, the little places that make up the character of a place, a spot the average person passing thru might not find.
    If coming from Halifax direction: "Going south on route 103 take exit 10 and then #3 highway ( one of those backroads). Visit Mahone Bay and then onward into Lunenburg (stop here for a while and walk around and stay if you can!). Now, just out of Lunenburg on #3 take a left on #332 (Lighthouse Route) Soon you'll be in East Lahave. There's a little cable ferry that crosses the Lahave River. Get off the ferry and turn left and the bakery will be there on the riverside."

However, if coming from Yarmouth direction on the 103, take route 331 (also part of Lighthouse Route) and it follows the shore up to that bakery and ferry in East Lahave (they pronounce it with a long a sound not a soft a) That turn onto 331 is 10 miles past the turnoff to Liverpool. Look for it on the right. Follow 331 (lots to see on this path) for 22 miles and the bakery and then ferry will be on your right (river side). Take ferry across the Lahave River and reverse my original post.

Also a great little historic pub in Chester about half way between Halifax and the bakery. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Thanks bro.
    we'll be coming out of the south, sticking to the 3 and 331, as close to the coast as we can, avoiding the bigger roads all the way. Planning to stay in Lunenburg, maybe for a couple days (?)- thinking it'll be a good place to hang even for exploring Halifax and the surrounding area, maybe even the west side of the peninsula- before moving up to Cape Breton Island & the Cabot Trail...

the distances don't seem too vast. there's a great distance calculator on the
    Nova Scotia.com site which is going to invaluable for us.
    Last edited by bmwrider88; 12-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Get Harold and Wendy's book http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/ It is the original and truly invaluable resource for places in Nova Scotia done at a wee bit slower pace. Lots of ads in it but I guess they have to support a good thing somehow. BTW, Nova Scotia mainland is a peninsula and Cape Breton Island, while part of Nova Scotia, is an island. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

fixed it.

My bad, Bob. right you are.

i sent off for an M/C guide book off the main tourism website for Nova Scotia. bottom left on this page:

https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

another person off ADVrider is sending me a NS motorcycle tour guide book as well, so perhaps one of the two will be the one you speak of? if not i'll pick one up... i may wait until the 2012 version hits, tho.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Well - there is Le Ch?óteau Frontenac.. (been staying there on and off for about 40 years.. it was a LOT cheaper 40 years ago..) http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac

Bikes aren't allowed in the old city.. but you should be able to find parking not too far from the gates.

FWIW - the first time we stayed in the Frontenac - we first had a room for $17/night. It was up in very top of the tower, and we found out about the early AM 21 gun salute for some battleship entering the city.. so we moved down a few floors and paid $14/night. Things have gone up just a bit since then..

Gotta get back there soon - hmmm.... always wanted to do the winter festival.. (January-February..)
    You've got us beat. Forty years ago the Frontenac cost my wife and I $19 a night, with an additional $5.00 per night for valet parking.

Bikes are permitted in the old city IF you have an hotel reservation. Did that last fall.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333