Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bmw scooter

i lust for a Honda Ruckus... not enough motor.
    Maybe you just haven't found the right Ruckus.. ..

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Regarding the Burgman

The Burgman has been around since 03 I believe. I owned one for 5 years and remain convinced that is they could get people to test drive them and stop worrying about looking macho, they couldn't keep them in stock.

The seat release cable broke-that was the only issue in 5 years of ownership.
    Driveability was superb from the time you touched the starter button.

Quote Originally Posted by OCJIMMY View Post
    I like 'em.

I think the scooter market needs a shaking up and I believe BMW has done that.

C'mon guys, think....

This scooter isn't really for you. You have bikes, you ride 'em.... Nothing is gonna change that.

These scooters are for first-timers. People new to the concept of two wheeling and also attracted to the BMW Brand.

I think it's a brilliant move by BMW. Remember, BMW's already owns the male 45-65 market of Motorbikes. They've been trying to expand their market. They release the S1000RR. It's a huge success. It's the #1 selling bike from BMW defeating the mighty R1200 GS.

This attracted a huge group that previously wouldn't consider BMW.

With the scooter, I believe BMW will do it again.

The scooter should be taken seriously. It's not necessarily for us motorbike riders, but many of the scooter buyers may be motorbike buyers tomorrow.

Best,

Jimmy
    Actually the people I know that are most interested in the new scooter are motorcycle riders (both BMW and others).

For some a scooter just makes more sense. Heck I have two RT's and would not hesitate to have a GT make it's way into my garage.

For urban stop and go traffic it sure beats the airhead RT (heat) and the hexhead RT (price).

Next summer will be fun.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Maybe you just haven't found the right Ruckus.. ..

ok, now this one here is cool.... find some ATV tires for it and you're good to go!

but ain't there supposed to be a motor in that big open space in the middle?

ian

The motor on the Ruckus is part of the swing arm if i am not mistaken. That's the way many of the popular scooters have been designed for years ; eg: Vespa & Lambretta. I believe that contributes to the lower cost, and some wierd handling issues aside from the tiny wheels.

The bigger Maxi's seem to be moving the motor forward and therefore reducing the ability to step through. You sort of sit on and swing a leg through , at least that's the way i got on the few i have had the opportunity to sit on.

As to the comments about us losing our Macho attitude and go ride a Maxi.
    I got my Machoectomy a long time ago, don't miss it at all
    I think the Maxi's look macho as much as a Goldwing that has shrunk does. The connotation of "Scooter " is what turns many guys away I'll bet.
    Start referring to them as "Step Through" and get over it.

If I could find one to test ride, I'd be there in a heart beat

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I followed this 80 year old guy on a 500 scoot through the 3 passes ride in the Sierra Nevadas & man, he was flyin. When I can't swing the leg over a big bike, scoot is the first step, unless I buy one now, as my wife saw them & said, "I want to test ride one of those".
    Rider got blasted for writing up a CanAm as "not a bike". While I'm not flapped over what is or isn't a bike, I can relate to the above far more easily than a pricey trike type machine. Not trying to start a fight here but they just seem like massive tricycles to me w/o much in the way of 2 wheeling balance freedom. Yeh, theres wind in your face but isn't it really about more than that? That's exactly why even a small scoot is in fact , lots of fun. Same for a pizza bike.
    I like that "machoectomy"! HA! When told at the neurosurgeon "do you realize that you are able to do things that no 67 yr old should be able to do"?, I replied, maybe so, "but do you realize that you are looking at what little that's left of what used to be one hell of a kid"...
    Here I sit on my memory foam pillow with a McKenzie lumbar cushion behind me longing for the days of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Rider got blasted for writing up a CanAm as "not a bike". While I'm not flapped over what is or isn't a bike, I can relate to the above far more easily than a pricey trike type machine. Not trying to start a fight here but they just seem like massive tricycles to me w/o much in the way of 2 wheeling balance freedom. Yeh, theres wind in your face but isn't it really about more than that? That's exactly why even a small scoot is in fact , lots of fun. Same for a pizza bike.
    I like that "machoectomy"! HA! When told at the neurosurgeon "do you realize that you are able to do things that no 67 yr old should be able to do"?, I replied, maybe so, "but do you realize that you are looking at what little that's left of what used to be one hell of a kid"...
    Here I sit on my memory foam pillow with a McKenzie lumbar cushion behind me longing for the days of summer.
    I just read that letter too.

I think part of that is that RIDER got squoze together with American RIDER, most of the hater letters seem to come from the people who were transferred over... I don't complain about the new chopperistic articles in RIDER, don't really care for the combo as much as the old mag, but I still dig the mag.
    John.

ain't there supposed to be a motor in that big open space in the middle?
    neah... that's where your feet go. The engine in there somewhere in the back, hidden behind the turbocharger.. ...

With a $1,600 entry price for a beater (if you can find one) it seems like a lot of grin for the bucks. And you know when the likes of Yoshimura and Brembo are making aftermarket parts for them that there are more grins available.

Obviously, none of these are out-of-the-box products and their reliability and longevity are not to be counted on. That said, I don't suspect their owners care about that aspect too much; I doubt that any of these machines would be asked to do an LA to Phoenix round trip. (never say never). I've got to say, I still love a good surprise, and if one of these things passed me on my /5 out on the slab I'd get a good grin out of it.

Lew Morris

The Ruckus riders do an invasion of the Dragon here in NC. every year. The pictures are a hoot.

Scooters Roll-Off the Assembly Lines

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Don't know much at 'bout scooters but if I got one I think that something that I could tinker with a bit, like the Ruckus I suppose, would be more to my liking. The BMW version seems like another turn key 'off the rack' item for fair chunk of my wallet. Something for everybody I suppose. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Don't know much at 'bout scooters but if I got one I think that something that I could tinker with a bit, like the Ruckus I suppose, would be more to my liking. The BMW version seems like another turn key 'off the rack' item for fair chunk of my wallet. Something for everybody I suppose. - Bob
    Apples and Oranges or maybe big apples and little apples. Last I looked at a Ruckus it had a 125cc or so motor. I think it comes as big as a 250. I might have one instead of my Kawasaki 250 Sherpa for the desert around here. But the BMW scooter is reputed to come as a 600 or 650. Not the same thing. More comparable to the Silverwing than the Ruckus.

I want to get my hands, or at least eyes on one in the dealers shop to see how it goes together and how easily it can be worked on. Then I can decide if it is a suitable vehicle for me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Is that a gimmie?
    I like them. We had a Burgman for awhile when my wife thought she might like to learn to ride, the thing was a blast but lacked power and comfort at highway speeds. I'll be one of the first in line for a test ride.

the thing was a blast but lacked power and comfort at highway speeds.
    I think that "seated-in-a-chair" riding posture would flat tear me up over any kind of distance, which is what most of "us" relate to. And even at 600-650cc you won't find them doing any serious cross-country work. I think they (all of them, including the BMW) are intended for the short jaunt (30-50 miles) urban-transport/commuter-capable-of-5+mph role.

Lew Morris

For whatever it's worth...

I've been doing a long summer ride (1500-2000mi) with friends riding an eclectic mix of vehicles. One of the guys rides a Silverwing; he's the heftiest of the group. But he's not only kept up but often led the pack on his bike. Just sayin...

Larry Johnson
    El Paso Tx