Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bmw scooter

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Now that BMW is coming out with a couple of super scooters are they going to be added as a sub-group.
    Sure. I am fairly confident that when the time comes for a forum sub group we will all agree it should be called:

Scooter Thrash
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thrash,

or,

Trash?
    Bill Johnston

I think those scooters are gross. And I agree, they don't seem to do a great job of being scooters based on the limited "step-through" ability.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Thrash,

or,

Trash?
    Thrash, as in ride it like you stole it, flog it, etc.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Thrash, as in ride it like you stole it, flog it, etc.
    I know, I was just having fun with ya!!!

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

I Like My Bike
    I like 'em.

I think the scooter market needs a shaking up and I believe BMW has done that.

C'mon guys, think....

This scooter isn't really for you. You have bikes, you ride 'em.... Nothing is gonna change that.

These scooters are for first-timers. People new to the concept of two wheeling and also attracted to the BMW Brand.

I think it's a brilliant move by BMW. Remember, BMW's already owns the male 45-65 market of Motorbikes. They've been trying to expand their market. They release the S1000RR. It's a huge success. It's the #1 selling bike from BMW defeating the mighty R1200 GS.

This attracted a huge group that previously wouldn't consider BMW.

With the scooter, I believe BMW will do it again.

The scooter should be taken seriously. It's not necessarily for us motorbike riders, but many of the scooter buyers may be motorbike buyers tomorrow.

Best,

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by OCJIMMY View Post
    C'mon guys, think....

This scooter isn't really for you. You have bikes, you ride 'em.... Nothing is gonna change that.

These scooters are for old farts that can't hold their bike upright any more.
    fixed.

seriously, the people i see riding Suzuki Bergmans are almost all ex-Goldwingers.

I am 44 years old ( not quite a feeble old fart but getting there) and have a few medical issues. One of which is degenerative joint desease. There are days where it's all I can do to swing a leg over my R1200RT. I see the scooter as a serious contender to be a stablemate for my RT. I aim to ride as long as long as my body will let me. I will be test riding a scooter at my first opportunity. If it allows me to ride on days where I'm too stiff and creaky et on the RT then it's worth the price of admission. Also my girlfriend wants to learn to ride. The scooter would be a good thing for her to get the feel for two wheels without the complications of a clutch and foot shifter. Those skills could be added later after the basics were better understood.

P/S My orthapeadic surgeon has informed me that he has no doubt that I will need both hips and knees replaced before I'm 50.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by OCJIMMY View Post
    I like 'em.

I think the scooter market needs a shaking up and I believe BMW has done that.

C'mon guys, think....

These scooters are for first-timers. People new to the concept of two wheeling and also attracted to the BMW Brand.

I think it's a brilliant move by BMW. Remember, BMW's already owns the male 45-65 market of Motorbikes. They've been trying to expand their market. They release the S1000RR. It's a huge success. It's the #1 selling bike from BMW defeating the mighty R1200 GS.

This attracted a huge group that previously wouldn't consider BMW.

With the scooter, I believe BMW will do it again.

The scooter should be taken seriously. It's not necessarily for us motorbike riders, but many of the scooter buyers may be motorbike buyers tomorrow.

Best,

Jimmy
    You are obviously NOT planning for your less active senior years. That's a nice mind set but sciatica has me looking at scoots(and longing for the time to get back on a bike!) & I already had the notion of a lighter bike then later a scoot as a progression(if you can call it that?) toward less active times. I have had some fun rides on 49cc scoots and the only thing about the BMW's that turns me off is they are far too "spacy" looking vs., say a Vespa,Piaggio or Aprilla with some punch.

scqtt
    I mentioned a scooter or bicycle for a guy on here with a four mile commute and was flamed.

If I had a city commute of less that 10 miles I would buy a Yamaha Zuma 125 in a heartbeat. I think it would look just fine sitting to the row of BMWs sitting in the garage.

Scooters, bicycles.....almost anything with 2 wheels are fun.

They are not just for beginners.

At the beginning of this year I had made a decision to give up riding. Pulled the trigger and sold all my bikes, trailer ,and gave away some nice gear.

I was just miserable over this decision. Tried to find a sporty car to satisfy my desire to feel the breeze. Sadly nothing appealed well enough or was in a price range that fit my meager budget.

Saw a real nice 1985 R80 on line and ended up buying it.
    SWMBO supported the idea !

I like this machine a lot, but in retrospect i believe I would have been happier with a Maxi Step Through.
    The same physical difficulties i have that caused me to want to give up riding in the first place are ever present.

If i decide to keep on riding much longer ( I'm 67 ) I may be on a Maxi before long, and BMW is high on the list with the up coming offerings.

For those of you that make smart a**ed remarks about scooters. I suggest you come down to NC. and see the number of them flying through the curves in the mountains around here.
    Yes, they are usually piloted buy some gray haired person, but I'll wager you will have to work pretty hard to keep up with them.
    Believe me , I have tried , and those things are plenty quick in the right hands.

I followed this 80 year old guy on a 500 scoot through the 3 passes ride in the Sierra Nevadas & man, he was flyin. When I can't swing the leg over a big bike, scoot is the first step, unless I buy one now, as my wife saw them & said, "I want to test ride one of those".
    John.

JoeDabbs
    I think one will find it's way into my garage. They sure do look great!

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I am 44 years old ( not quite a feeble old fart but getting there) and have a few medical issues. One of which is degenerative joint desease.
    a good buddy of mine did the same thing. he hated giving up his GS but because of his hips he could no longer straddle a bike. his Bergy Executive let him ride with his legs together.

they need a dual sport one of these things. the fatter tires would make off-pavement riding easier.

i lust for a Honda Ruckus... not enough motor.

That Ruckus is sort of cute in an industrial sort of way.

I see them occasionally around here, kind of remind me of old Russian bikes.