Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blueridge Parkway 2012

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar
    It is $10.00 for motorcycles, 105 miles long, 35 mph speed limit and we prefer it to Route 81 with it's tractor trailers doing 70 to 80 mph. But that is just the way we roll.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Golden Age Passport

Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    It is $10.00 for motorcycles, 105 miles long, 35 mph speed limit and we prefer it to Route 81 with it's tractor trailers doing 70 to 80 mph. But that is just the way we roll.
    If you are 'old enough', you can get a Golden Age Passport and get free rides on The Skyline, plus many more free/half-price admission benefits!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kemosabe View Post
    If you are 'old enough', you can get a Golden Age Passport and get free rides on The Skyline, plus many more free/half-price admission benefits!
    Glad you reminded me. I just got mine a couple of months ago. It is no longer called the Golden Age Passport. It is now called a Senior Pass and it has a one time cost of $10 if you are 62 or older.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I got my senior gomer passport the first time i rode the Skyline drive a couple of years a go.

Blue Ridge:Awesome, Skyline Dr. 100mi : not so great

On the way to the '09 rally in Johnson City I rode it all. I enjoyed the Blue Ridge much more because staying within 9 mph of 45 is a lot better than staying close to 35 mph on Skyline Drive. I also rode back on much of the Blue Ridge.

A friend stopped on a dirt road just off the Blue Ridge with some buddies on dual sports. They were "told" by a local pickup driver, "What ya doin? Git movin." The group may have stopped to chat inadvertantly near a still or weed farm or something.

Careful there now partner, your talking about our two largest cash crops .
    They are guarded closely in their natural habitat.

I had friends tell me "You didn't ride the entire BRP if you didn't ride Skyline DR." I asked if it's part of the BRP why does it not have the mile markers, has a different name and you have to pay to ride it?

No matter what anyone tells you, the BRP goes from mile marker 0 near Waynesboro, VA to mile marker 469 near Cherokee, NC (or vice versa).
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar

To ride or not to ride, that is the question

Since I started this let me explain. This was the question that Ross asked.

So...my fellow adventurers...intrepid explorers...eaters of exotic roadside fare...those who fear neither rain nor roadside flats...

Anybody want to share a favorite road side stop...a cautionary tale...a favorite restaurant...a twisty back road that shouldn't be missed? I'll be riding my GSA and doing my best to avoid the interstates unless there's just nothing to see.

I'd love to hear about your experiences in this area of the country. ~Ross

Now I do not know how much time Ross planned to spend on his trip, but if he is in no hurry and wants to avoid interstate driving then the Skyline drive is an alternative. Yes it is a toll road, yes it is 35 mph, and it is 100 miles long. However, it rides the top of the mountains with some great scenic views and twisty winding road with plenty of wildlife and places to pull over to take pictures and enjoy the view. Now if time and funds are limited then taking 81 is the best route to the Blue Ridge. If time and money are no object then the Skyline drive is a nice ride, also if he likes water then he may want to stop at Luray, VA and ride down the Shenandoah River on a tube, raft, kayak or canoe.
    http://www.shenandoahriver.com/Rentalrates.html
    Or visit Luray Caverns http://luraycaverns.com/ He was asking for suggestions as to what to do and see on his trip and Virginia has a lot to offer in that respect. And no I do not work for the Virginia department of tourism. We have been to all of these places and had fun doing it.
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    I had friends tell me "You didn't ride the entire BRP if you didn't ride Skyline DR." I asked if it's part of the BRP why does it not have the mile markers, has a different name and you have to pay to ride it?

No matter what anyone tells you, the BRP goes from mile marker 0 near Waynesboro, VA to mile marker 469 near Cherokee, NC (or vice versa).
    The Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive meet at the top of Afton Mountain where I-81 passes under the Skyline Drive. Afton Mountain is between Waynesboro and Charlotteville but just up the mountain from Waynesboro. There's a big sign at the beginning of the Blueridge Parkway at mile marker 0 and there is an exit off of I-81 to enter and/or have lunch at the restaurant there.

After creeping along at 45 MPH for a few hundred miles on the Parkway, 35 MPH on the Skyline Drive just doesn't seem worth it. You just turn around and go back down the Parkway as the ride is totally different on the return trip and it seems like you are on a totally different ride. The curves and views are very different.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

HONDARIDER
    Coming from the north, I had never imagined skipping the Skyline Drive...I suppose 35mph is kinda slow, but I'm in it for the scenery and soaking up as much of the sights as possible. I'm figuring on a week to work my way down to Deal's Gap and then back home. I definitely appreciate the input I've gotten thus far...I'm taking notes and trying to lay out the perfect array of photo ops. dining opportunities, and twisty roads. I've got my new GoPro Hero and I'm shopping for a GPS as well. A new seat is probably in order as well.

As much as i ride the BRP , I am still finding things I did not see on the last trip. Also agree that riding the reverse of a route is so different it is even better than the last ride.

route 16 is a nice diversion from the parkway especially between tazewell and marion va. If you enjoy technical stuff. also rt 226a at the little switzerland exit off the parkway is fun. and the motels there are motorcyclist friendly.The little Switzerland inn also has a nice restaurant.

Luckies
    hondarider, if you see a GSA with an austrian flag on the windshield riding the opposite way, you may want to stop me for a break.

Must be somewhere in the end of May. We're riding north from Waynesville to Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I stop at the end of the Parkway and don't get on the Skyline Drive because the speed limit is 35 and they charge you money to ride it.
    I agree. Skyline is pretty, but you'll have more fun on the public local roads, albeit at lower altitudes. While BRP can be a fun ride, Skyline is very slow and you'll often get caught behind cars doing less than 25mpg, really!
    09 R 1200 GS

Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    There are many alternatives to 81, which is never an option for me. Local roads can be fun alternatives to Skyline for seeing the sights. If I want to get quickly from NVA on South, I'll choose 29. I can still go 75mph without a worry and not have the trucks. Don't know why I would ride 81, when I really can't get going much faster than on 29.
    09 R 1200 GS