Thread: another coil question

slowrider

another coil question

The last couple tanks of gas on my 04 1150 GS have only yielded 35 mpg ( I usually get 45 ) so I pulled my plugs to see how they looked today. Plugs looked OK with the right secondary a little black, but when I tried running the bike on the primary plugs it would run on one cylinder only. Disconnecting each primary plug did not have the same effect, bike started and ran ok. I used a dummy plug each time I pulled a Plug wire and the primary coils seem to be working ( getting spark ) Is it possible for the primary coils to be bad but still sparking since the bike will not run on the primary plugs alone but will run on the secondary plugs alone ?

that was one of the ways that i knew my stick coils

had gone bad... the fuel mileage went in the toilet. But also, when i grabbed a fistful of throttle, it would go BLAH.....

mine was around 37k miles when i first noticed the issue. waited til almost 40k till i changed them out.

like having a new bike again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomtietjen View Post
    The last couple tanks of gas on my 04 1150 GS have only yielded 35 mpg ( I usually get 45 ) so I pulled my plugs to see how they looked today. Plugs looked OK with the right secondary a little black, but when I tried running the bike on the primary plugs it would run on one cylinder only. Disconnecting each primary plug did not have the same effect, bike started and ran ok. I used a dummy plug each time I pulled a Plug wire and the primary coils seem to be working ( getting spark ) Is it possible for the primary coils to be bad but still sparking since the bike will not run on the primary plugs alone but will run on the secondary plugs alone ?
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......