Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: When does 'Official' 2012 Rally INFO appear?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    birdmanbmw
    Guest

    When does 'Official' 2012 Rally INFO appear?

    We're new members/owners and want to make the Rally in MO. Wondering when info about hotels, schedule, etc is published.

    It seems like the information is floating around and experienced members are up to speed on the details, but not me.

    I know my dealer sold a lot of BMW's this year... so there are probably others like us that want information- official info.

    If the rally info is put out next spring- great- just wondering, thanks! Don't want to be 'left out'...

  2. #2
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    654
    The location (Missouri State Fairgrounds, Sedalia MO, and dates have already been announced. As for hotels, just do an online search for hotels in/around Sedalia. Other info, like entertainment, vendors, seminars, door prizes etc. won't be out until the new year.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

  3. #3
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,476

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    The location (Missouri State Fairgrounds, Sedalia MO, and dates have already been announced. As for hotels, just do an online search for hotels in/around Sedalia. Other info, like entertainment, vendors, seminars, door prizes etc. won't be out until the new year.
    Mark's advice is spot on. If you're planning on camping, nothing more need be done until 'official' details get published in the Owners News this Spring.

    However, if you're hoping to score a motel room, you might want to start a search NOW and make some phone calls to secure a reservation. Anything within a half-hour of Sedalia would work - obviously, the closer to the Fairgrounds, the better.

    Good Luck, Welcome to the MOA and see you in Sedalia!!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  4. #4
    Outlander Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    6,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    We're new members/owners and want to make the Rally in MO. Wondering when info about hotels, schedule, etc is published.

    It seems like the information is floating around and experienced members are up to speed on the details, but not me.

    I know my dealer sold a lot of BMW's this year... so there are probably others like us that want information- official info.

    If the rally info is put out next spring- great- just wondering, thanks! Don't want to be 'left out'...
    Hi Dave, last year the "official" page went up around December 10th on the International Rally page http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally11 (from the top of this screen). Chances are that would be a place to check in the coming weeks. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

  5. #5
    birdmanbmw
    Guest
    Thanks for all the replies and info.

    I tried to find a room a couple weeks ago, nothing available in my 'special needs' department- 'non-smoking'. So I was hoping that when they announce the details, they will have some blocks of rooms for the MOA members.

    You see where I'm going with this? I'm assuming they do want new members to attend?

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    3,476

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and info.

    I tried to find a room a couple weeks ago, nothing available in my 'special needs' department- 'non-smoking'. So I was hoping that when they announce the details, they will have some blocks of rooms for the MOA members.

    You see where I'm going with this? I'm assuming they do want new members to attend?

    Thanks again!
    Dave - glad you're using the Forum to 'glean' information about the MOA. It's just one of several sources (i.e. the Owners News, Club membership, direct contact with other members, etc.) that can educate a new member as to what this experience is all about.

    Good for you.

    As for rooms, while the MOA selects rally sites where approx. 3,000 rooms will be in the general vicinity, snapping one up is another matter. You may wish to consider tent camping (I did that at Gillette, Johnson City and Bloomsburg - all unique memories), as NO reservations needed. Just pay your Rally fee and find a sweet spot to call home for a few nights somewhere on the Rally grounds.

    Another option is the Sherpa service - an entrepeneur who transports everything you need for a campsite (tent, sleeping bag, mattress, chair, etc.), sets it up for you and all you do is pay his going rate. It's an option many have taken advantage of and swear by.

    As for equating "wanting you to attend" with "having a block of rooms standing by for general membership," that's not feasible. While the MOA blocks the minimum number of rooms needed for it's primary staff, entertainment and rally chairs, it's impossible to provide accomodations for a 'fiesta' that numbers in the many thousands, as these rallies are very popular.

    So, bottom line: You are most welcome at the rally, expecially as a new member. Come see what all the hustle and bustle is about. But start out conservatively with your lodging expectations till you've gotten your feet wet at a National. If it's something you like, I'm sure you'll be on the phone within a week of it ending, arranging for whatever style of accomodations you desire for 2013!

    Welcome to the MOA and see you and as many other 'newbies' as you can gather, at Sedalia!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

  7. #7
    Curmudgeon At Large Bobmws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Astatula, FL
    Posts
    1,128
    Dave, welcome to the club. Put your name on the waiting list with any and all hotels you may be interested in, there are always cancellations as rally time approaches. Also be sure to monitor this forum as many folks will announce that they are cancelling.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

  8. #8
    birdmanbmw
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
    Dave, welcome to the club. Put your name on the waiting list with any and all hotels you may be interested in, there are always cancellations as rally time approaches. Also be sure to monitor this forum as many folks will announce that they are cancelling.
    I like this idea! Thanks

  9. #9
    Registered User Scott C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL / Tampa FL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies and info.

    I tried to find a room a couple weeks ago, nothing available in my 'special needs' department- 'non-smoking'. So I was hoping that when they announce the details, they will have some blocks of rooms for the MOA members.

    You see where I'm going with this? I'm assuming they do want new members to attend?

    Thanks again!
    I dont know if this helps you or anyone for that matter but the Holiday Inn in Warrensburg has (2) double queen non-smoking rooms still available at a rate of $98.10 per night, breakfast included.

    It's about a 25 minute ride to the fairgrounds which I dont mind and they have an indoor pool which I want. After riding there from Chicago and then being outside in the sun and heat all day, I want some creature comforts like air-conditioning, a decent bed and shower and a swimming pool.

    Camping is great, it's just not for me.
    Last edited by Scott C; 11-28-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    2004 BMW 1150RT
    Secretary--Chicago Region BMW Owners Association.

  10. #10
    birdmanbmw
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I dont know if this helps you or anyone for that matter but the Holiday Inn in Warrensburg has (2) double queen non-smoking rooms still available at a rate of $98.10 per night, breakfast included.

    It's about a 25 minute ride to the fairgrounds which I dont mind and they have an indoor pool which I want. After riding there from Chicago and then being outside in the sun and heat all day, I want some creature comforts like airconditioning, a decent bed and shower and a swimming pool.

    Camping is great, it's just not for me.
    Good stuff Scott, thanks-- I just made the res. I'm ok for camping, but the wife needs the room- ha...

  11. #11
    OldBMWMaster JDOCKERY132445's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pleasure Island. NC
    Posts
    966

    I had one of those

    Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    Good stuff Scott, thanks-- I just made the res. I'm ok for camping, but the wife needs the room- ha...
    I had one of those. I got rid of her and now the newer model loves to camp.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

  12. #12
    Registered User Scott C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago IL / Tampa FL
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Davev1954 View Post
    Good stuff Scott, thanks-- I just made the res. I'm ok for camping, but the wife needs the room- ha...
    Your welcome Dave, I'm glad it worked out for you.

    This will be my 1st rally and I can't wait. I plan to volunteer
    for something, what I dont know yet, but will cross that
    bridge when I get to it.

    Lets all hope for good weather.
    2004 BMW 1150RT
    Secretary--Chicago Region BMW Owners Association.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •