Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Places to see from NC to MO?

Depending on how you route yourselves, a little gem I discovered riding back from Ohio through east TN a few years ago - The Lost Sea in Sweetwater, TN.

It's on TN 68 about 35-40 miles north of Tellico Plains (and just southeast of I-75 between Chattanooga and Knoxville). Not far out of the way if you plan to ride the Cherohala Skyway from near Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN.

Largest underground lake in the Western Hemisphere; second largest in the world. It only took me about 2 hours or so to take the tour of the cavern and the pontoon boat ride on the lake and hit the gift shop. Trout as big as my leg in the underground lake, thanks to an old university experiment. A one-of-a-kind stop IMHO.

Open 364 days/year. Closed Christmas.

I found it entirely by accident looking up a red star symbol in my road atlas while planning that trip.
    Mark J
    Merritt Island, FL

Quote Originally Posted by 68820 View Post
    Hi folks, I found this route on Jalopnik:

It's MO-32 from Roubidoux to Bismarck, Missouri.

Why it's the road to Nirvana: Running through Mark Twain National Forest, this masterpiece in the middle of the country will liven up those coast-to-coast runs right when you need a break from superslab droning the most. Good roads are like rock songs: short-and-intense is usually the order of the day, but a good serious long stretch can be a beautiful thing if done right. This one is.
    Looks like a winner.
    As someone who lives just a few miles from 32 I can vouch for this link. As well as 19 from Mammoth Springs to Salem, 106 from Emminence to Ellington (short but well worth it) and just about any of the "lettered" county roads in the Mark Twain. Alley Spring in Emminence is worth a stop.
    08 R1200GS aka Stormy.
    1989 Honda GB500 aka Ton Up.

I hate deer and love venison

Going early

I want to be at the rally site on July 15. Driving time for me is 19 hours on the interstates. I am guessing that translates into a three day trip for the "scenic" route. Anyone want to ride out?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Boone, NC

I think I will route myself through Boone, NC into TN for the trip to the Rally. Looks like it might be more interesting than the interstate routes.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

It's a bit too far out on the calendar yet to decide what day we plan to leave.

There will be several of us from the Lewisville , Clemmons , area around Winston Salem riding mostly secondary roads to get there.

Doug

NC to Rally

Friend and I are leaving Richmond, VA Friday after work and going to Blacksburg, VA to stay at his apartment for home football games. Sat morning going to Ashville area and then not sure. May go to Nashville or Memphis (never been to either) than cross the river and head toward the Rally area. Plan on getting there Wed afternoon. Have to follow this thread for ideas on good roads to follow.
    Ken Denton

If you are interested in the War of Northern Aggression and history in general you might consider following the Great River Road once you hit the Mississippi River. You can chose to ride gravel or black top. I prefer the east side over the west so you stay in the Mississippi River Bluffs instead of the valley.

Hare are a few pictures from a trip I took along the east side of the Mississippi River:

Pierre Menard Home (1800)

Entrenchments at Columbus-Belmont, KY, Site of 1861 Battle-Grants first

Along the west side:

Tower Rock;

Historic Home In Ste. Genevieve:

I would take it north to the ferry at Ste. Genevieve, MO. Spend some time in Genevieve. It was settled by the French in 1735 with home dating back to the 1700's.

From Ste. Gen there are 100's of routes west from gravel to alphabet highways to State Highways. For me, if I have the time, I would grab the first gravel road heading west and go. However if you want to stay on blacktop and a little more direct I would recommend, 32 out of Ste. Gen to US 67.

Around Desloge look for MO 8 west. (North of Desloge is the town of Bonne Terre and the Bonne Terre Mine tour. It is a fascinating tour of an underground lead mine. http://www.2dive.com/bandwtours.htm#hours)

Along Highway 8 is Meramac Spring State Park and pretty place to stop but I believe they charge to get in.

At St. James you can take 68 to 63 to 50 and take 50 to Sedalia. OR get on Old Route 44 and travel SW a little until Waynesville. At Waynesville take 117 north to 52 through Cole Camp to 65 and then 65 north to town.

Another option from Ste. Genevieve (this route will keep you from dealing with St. Louis traffic and is scenic).
    Take US 61 to Bloomsdale and Y Highway to 67.
    Take 67 North to Valles Mines and V Highway. Take V North.
    V to 21 and north a few mile to Y.
    Y will take you to 30.
    go East on 30 to 47 and then north to Washington, MO.
    From Washington take any road that follows the Missouri River to Hermann.
    Both Washington and Hermann are historic river towns. Hermann is in the heart of MO wine country.
    From Hermann you can continue west along the river to Jeff City. At Jeff City you can pick up 50 to Sedalia.

Between Washington and Jeff City either side is pretty.

Cemetery in Hermann:

Hermann Concert Hall:

Leaving Saturday

I am leaving the coast on Saturday and spending the night near Winston Salem. Leaving VERY early Sunday morning and riding straight through to the rally. Anyone else want to make a run for it?
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449

Hear that ticking sound? jnerges's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I am leaving the coast on Saturday and spending the night near Winston Salem. Leaving VERY early Sunday morning and riding straight through to the rally. Anyone else want to make a run for it?
    Hi Jerry,

I am leaving Columbia, SC on Sunday at noon and going to meander to Sedalia. I was planning to arrive early Wednesday morning. What will you do if you get there on Sunday? Will the gates be open?

Your offer is tempting but a day too soon.

John