Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need a quieter Helmet

PAULJR
    I purchased a new Shoei Qwest based on the ratings for quiet in magazine tests. My wife loves hers, I find it much louder than the Arai Vector we were wearing previously. We always wear ear plugs but my ears get sore after 8 hours with them in and I wanted to be able to ride at slower speeds without them for a while. Bottom line is you need to try a helmet out on your particular bike to find out what really works. Mortons BMW will let you do this (unfortunately I did not ride up there and take them up on that) so check with local dealers to see if one of them will provide that service.

I have a Bell full face helmet and always use new earplugs.
    If you are using foam ear plugs, I personally found their effectiveness was highly dependent upon proper insertion. Something I was rather poor at. I opted for custom fitted ear plugs from an audiologist.

As for helmets, Shoei Rf-1000 (now RF-1100) and Multi-tec are my helmets of choice.
    I have use the Shark RSR-2, but you won't find it quiet with the top vent open.

If you bought your Qwest from a local dealer, perhaps go back to him to have fitting issues resolved. It may just be that some padding needs to be changed out , some thicker, some thinner to better seal it against your head and behind your ears.

I might also consider adding a piece under the chin to help with quietness. I have Shoe TZ-R which I liked for quietness other than it had low frequency noises. Ear plugs aren't as effective with lower frequencies. Some jackets and neck ware would make it much better or slightly worse. My Shoei X-12 has much more hiss, esp with the vents. This frequency is easily handled by ear plugs. It has very little low frequency noise and thus I enjoy it more.

NCS
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

i recently was going crazy trying to solve a noise issue on my bike. i tried different helmets, different wind screens and all sorts of things. what i found was my custom earphones were not sitting in my ear properly. these earphones were approx. 5 years old and i am unsure if my ears changed in that time. without the earphones everything was fine, with the earphones the noise was so bad i thought my ears were going to start bleeding. i put some foam (hearos) plugs in and if they were inserted properly everything was good, the problem was the time and trouble it took to make sure they were in correctly, i also could not listen to the XM radio or ipod. i finally went and had a new, different set of custom earphones made by Westone. these are without a doubt the best earphones i have ever used. i have had earphones made by a few different companies over the years and nothing compares to these Westones. the sound reduction is on par, if not better then the foam plugs i previously used. they are incredibly comfortable and i could not be any happier. so before you go crazy, like i did, i would look at your earphones or earplugs as to the reason your getting so much noise.

I don't listen to music but my wife does. I gave her some Westones. She loves them. The sound is incredible and the do a great job of blocking other noises.

1+ on the westones (if the wife is happy, the world IS a better place)
    03 K 1200RS (Black is Best)
    03 Honda RC51
    74 Honda CB750 K4

Nick Kennedy
    Thanks for the excellent advice Gents I'm going to buy either a Shoei or the Shuberth. and get some custom earplugs.. I'm going to also look at pulling the guts out of a BOSE noise reduction headset and try and retro fit it into my full face Bell. I have a noise reduction headset in our airplane and those things are remarkable. And the price of those units has really come down the last couple of years.. I wonder if the future is ANR [ active noise reduction ] in motorcycle helmets.

keelerb
    Try one of these: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windj...nd-blocker.htm

I just got one. Works great for noise AND cold.

Downsides: Makes pulling helmet on and off more difficult, and contributes to glasses/shield fogging. But, overall, I like it a lot.

GrahamL
    Nick hang fire purchasing the Shoei Multitec for a couple of months,

They have a new multitec called the Neotec it has the slide down sun visor

I tried it on at the Milan show last week, very nice too.

They are claiming lighter weight, increased visibility, and better ventilation (although my Multitech seems "ventilated" enough). Increased peripheral "viewage" would definitely be welcome however. Internal sun visor... I don't know, it's hard enough to keep both sides of the front visor clean, the added two surfaces... I'll stick with my Serengetis. Removable interior!!! Breath guard and shin curtain, available in three shell sizes, ... you bet.

But will we ever see it here in the States?

Shoei Neotec

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    They are claiming lighter weight, increased visibility, and better ventilation (although my Multitech seems "ventilated" enough). Increased peripheral "viewage" would definitely be welcome however. Internal sun visor... I don't know, it's hard enough to keep both sides of the front visor clean, the added two surfaces... I'll stick with my Serengetis. Removable interior!!! Breath guard and shin curtain, available in three shell sizes, ... you bet.

But will we ever see it here in the States?

Looks like a nice helmut, but they don't indicate it's weight. That was the biggest drawback with the Nolan 103. My neck could really feel the weight. Hopefully, it's not too heavy.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

"But will we ever see it here in the States?"

Revzilla and Competition Accessories both list it on their sites...with a bit of info indicating a spring '12 release is planned.

I'm hoping the Shoei booth at the International Motorcycle Show in December in Seattle has some Neotecs to try on... This "could" be the helmet that would replace two aging helmets in my collection...

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Hi Gents
    I own a 1978 R/80 and have ridden it for 5 seasons now. One nagging issue I have is that under some high power conditions the the engine noise sets up this resonance in my ears that is hard to handle. I have a Bell full face helmet and always use new earplugs. I want to keep the bike but I need to get a handle on this painful noise problem. I'm looking for a new Full face helmet with the best noise reduction out there.Any suggestions? Do riders ever install a BOSE noise canceling headset in there helmets?
    Thanks in Advance
    The word "resonance" struck me. Are you sure that you're "hearing" something external? Could it be vibrations from the bike affecting your inner ear? I ask because I've ridden my fair share of motorcycles and I've never had an experience where a pair of earplugs worked dramatically more or less depending on the motorcycle.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I have a lot more noise in my helmet lately, almost always wear a set of custom made ear plugs.

When they are" in and i am wearing my Shoei Multi Tech " the noise is pretty bad.
    If i open the visor the noise is less ??
    Do not like to ride that way as the wind bothers my eyes behind my glasses.

If I take the ear plugs "out " and wear the same helmet the noise is a lot less ???

I tried a couple of different styles of ear plugs with about the same results ??

If I scrunch down behind my Parabellum wind screen and look through it , there is very little noise.
    I cannot stay in that position very long and do not like looking through all four
    ( glasses, helmet shield ,with a pin lock ,and then a windscreen)

Suggestions ?????????????

C3 +1

I've tried a lot of helmets and really liked the Nolan 103 until I bought a Schubert C3. It doesn't fit me quite as well as the Nolan but the ventilation is good, it's extremely well made and really quiet.

I've tried ear plugs but wonder about the safety factor - I want to ensure that I can hear what's going on around me and with the ear plugs I felt limited.

FWIW, Lowe's sells 3M ear plugs (hot pink or grape purple) that do a good job on "dimming" wind noise while letting car noises, sirens, etc. through.
    Don't let your bike go anywhere your brain hasn't already been five seconds ago...