Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shoei Multitec helmet

Question about the visor settings of the Multi Tech,

I bought mine slightly used from another forum member, but it did not come with an instruction/owners book.

Cleaning the face shield today I see there are three settings via a small plastic lever on the left side of the face shield.

Does one of them lock it in place to reduce wind noise ?

Seems like one of the other positions opens it slightly for some air inlet,

what is the 3rd for ??

I cannot manipulate the lever with gloves on anyway.

what is the 3rd for ??
    normal shield operation, e.g. open and close via the tab
    The shield has a ratchet type mechanism and will stay open at several positions.

Like you, I have found the lever difficult to use with gloves and generally find the tab for opening the visor easier and open it to the first ratchet detent for defogging.

(until I got a pinlock insert)

Mine came with a pin lock visor , it works a treat !

Multitech

My wife rides with one. Best helmet she ever wore. I can't get one to fit my anvil shaped head. Chin guard hits my mouth. If it fits, you will have a hard time finding a better helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Our local LEAs have to wear open-face helmets. Something about a kinder-gentler presence and not intimidating the soccer-moms, and tourists, with a Darth Vader aura.. .. . I'm guessing it's more like problems occurring at a really inopportune moment if the visor should drop unexpectedly after a stop.

I like my MultiTech... if it had more side cut-out to increase peripheral vision (like the new NeoTech is supposed to have) it would be perfect. As far a drop-down sun shades go... don't need 'em. And, the chin-bar is pretty close.. ..

Too bad the buy-in for the NeoTech is probably going to be pushing $650+.

Insert Fabreeze fabric-softener sheets after wearing... keeps mine fresh, and I don't have to use conditioner when I shampoo my hair anymore
    I'm confused, The whole reason for LEO's wearing modular helmets is so when we do have to talk to anyone, we simply open the chin bar fully. When we're done yapping, flip it back down and head on down the road. Never had any complaints...

We have installed quick releases on ours so if we need to get that helmet off in a hurry, we can. We have done some emergency drills with the helmets on and they don't really present a problem. I'm talking about gun fights of course, which are on average, at a distance of 7 yards and over in about 5 seconds...
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey

Klaus Von Beemerhausen
    The new NeoTec is only $584.00 here:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet

I'm seriously considering it over the C3

I'm seriously considering it over the C3
    And I'm seriously considering the paying the rent for the shop, or a new helmet ... .. guess which won.... dang!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Bell

Couldn't stop meself last week, picked up a Bell Revolver for less than 100 bucks new. I'll give it a try in the spring, for 99 bucks get to see if the flip up front end works with ear plugs and glasses, and, got a Hi-Vis yellow. No Snell 2010 on this lid. CAn't have too many helmets.

New Neotec

Just purchased a new Shoei Neotec. So far so good. I have been wearing the helmet around the house to give it a little break-in. So I will be outside riding my RT. First impression, I really like it. I have never had a Shoei before. Last Helmet was an Arai Quantum II. Head fit seems good so far with no hot spots. Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in. I am planning to install a Sena SMH10 on the helmet but have not seen or heard anyone else's install experience with the clamp style. Any advise would be great.

JL

Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in.
    Most Shoei products allow the cheek pads to be replaced with thicker, or thinner, ones.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

It seems the cheek pad sets for the Neotec aren't available yet - maybe 2-3 more weeks according to my dealer.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Quote Originally Posted by jjlawrence View Post
    Just purchased a new Shoei Neotec. So far so good. I have been wearing the helmet around the house to give it a little break-in. So I will be outside riding my RT. First impression, I really like it. I have never had a Shoei before. Last Helmet was an Arai Quantum II. Head fit seems good so far with no hot spots. Check pads are thick. Will need to get used to the pressure on my face until the pads settle in. I am planning to install a Sena SMH10 on the helmet but have not seen or heard anyone else's install experience with the clamp style. Any advise would be great.

JL
    I'm in the same boat as you regarding the Sena mount. I have three other helmets with mounts. Two with the standard mount and one with the detachable/extended line mic. The latter is in my Nolan modular. I don't see that I will have room for the quarter sized plastic base on the extended boom mic mount on the Neotec like I did on the Nolan. So I'm going to order the stock type mount.

Boy is this helmet quieter than my Nolan 103. And it seems to vent well. Only thing I can complain is that I can't put it on while I have my glasses on. It is stiffer in the cheek area than the Nolan because the hard inner shell extends out there so it doesn't flex enough to get past the ear pieces. That is also why the Sena mount I mentioned above doesn't fit either. No access room.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

Replaced Multitec with C3

I used a Multitec for five years before replacing it last spring with the C3.

I just saw an ad for the Neotech in one of the half-dozen m/c magazines I read each month. I chuckled when I saw Shoei's listing of the improvements in the Neotech over the Multitech - internal sun visor, quieter, lighter, less aerodynamic drag - all the reasons why I decided to replace the Multitec with the C3.

The C3 was an evolutionary improvement over the Multitec. The C3 is far lighter than my Multitec, and it's whisper-quiet inside. The sun visor works perfectly, and I'll never own a helmet without that feature.

My only complaints with the C3 are the initial purchase price, and the price of replacement visors as they get scratched and pitted with normal use.

When it's time to replace my C3, I'll investigate what's on the market in 3-4 years, but as of now, I'd be perfectly happy with another C3.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by jjlawrence View Post

JL
    Here's my Neotec with the Sena attached. The microphone boom is a bit of a PITA, as i must move it into position after lowering the visor. I removed the foam pads at the ears, which left a nice recess for the Sena speakers. Easy install.

12 R1200RT, 12 Street Triple R, 08 Tiger 1050

Neotec and Sena install

Zoomzoommo, thanks a lot for posting the pictures of your Neotec with the Sena. This gives me a great look to work with. Did you have any issue pushing the mount into the helmet between the outer shell and core lining? Looks like you didn't have any issue with the visor lever either. I may look into the Sena plate with the detached mic. It gives you a little more room to work plus I may be able to install the mic in between the check pad.

JL