Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoei Multitec helmet

Hybrid View

Shoei Multitec helmet

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet? It's Time for two new ones. Thanks in advance

I like mine. It fits better than any other modular helmet I have test fitted. All the others make contact with my chin. Reasonably well ventilated and quieter than other modular designs. I wish it had a removable liner.
    2015 R1200GS

birdmanbmw
    Shoei's seem to fit my head the best, and they are high quality. I've had my multitec for about three months and really like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the input, Ive tried one on and liked it. Am replacing a HJC modular after a wreck. I also wish it had the removable liner.......

I purchased one last year to replace my Nolan. Unfortunately, life has thrown me a curve ball over the past year, and riding has been extremely limited. But, I'm happy with the helmet. It's not perfect, but then again--no helmet is. I may have purchased the Schuberth C3, but it was not available in the US at the time.

As far as head shape goes, I find it interesting to note that the Syncrotec was uncomfortable, while the Multitec is very comfortable. So, the head shape appears to have been changed. Of course it's possible that my head changed over the past five or so years, but I wouldn't even know how to document that.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

No experience with the Multitec, but I had a Schuberth Concept for several years.

My wife and I each just got a Nolan N90 based on the reviews on Webbikeworld (it won their award as 2010 helmet of the year) and elsewhere. Internal flip down sun shield, pinlock anti fog insert and removable liner as well. I like it better than the Schuberth and at less than half the price it's a bargain. I'd recommend giving them a look.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

I've been with a multi-tec for about two years. The chin bar is a tad close if you deal with any com gear. Otherwise no complaints. I've checked out the Shuberth C3, but the cheeks don't fit quite right.

too many choices

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    No experience with the Multitec, but I had a Schuberth Concept for several years.

My wife and I each just got a Nolan N90 based on the reviews on Webbikeworld (it won their award as 2010 helmet of the year) and elsewhere. Internal flip down sun shield, pinlock anti fog insert and removable liner as well. I like it better than the Schuberth and at less than half the price it's a bargain. I'd recommend giving them a look.
    Thanks for your input....Looking for a new one also. I've got a Nolan now, and I hope the new Nolan will fit my melon a tad better than my old one. I tried a full face, but I don't like having to yank them on!

Thanks again
    Will in Indy

Dale Rudolph
    I have had mine for 2 years, am very happy with it and would buy another.

Shoei Multitec- Best Helmet Ever IMHO!

Hey, saw your post and have had experience with Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan, and Arai (as far as top end stuff goes). After 2 weeks with the Nolan, sold it for a loss (poorly built [cheaply built!]). Schuberth didn't fit my head (thank God$$$). Arai doesn't make a modular helmet (why?). I know why... but really.

Shoei Multitec- one of the highest quality helmets out there. When you close the Multitec, you know it's closed. I have a pin lock insert and never worry about fogging. I ride year round in Seattle. Have the Scala G4 in it too. Mine is getting close to 5 years old and will be buying another one soon. I may order overseas to get their Shearwater model (different colors). Or look at the new Neotec. I will happily pay more than $500 for a Shoei, but not many others.

There you go. Avoid Nolan! I will never understand how they got such a good rep! A friend bought one and we went back and forth about the quality of Nolan for more than a year and he finally admitted it sucked.
    The Closer

Visor Info

I've seen people complain that the Shuberth's visor doesn't stay open when vented if you are in direct wind. The Multitec has visor settings so that it stays open just enough and I have not had any problems with it closing due to wind. Of course, I do have a windshield but I ride with it in the down position mostly and still no problems. Good luck!
    Eric
    2011 R1200 RT (1st Beemer)
    "Hey guys, watch this!"

I wear the Shoei modular for work because they make me.
    Our local LEAs have to wear open-face helmets. Something about a kinder-gentler presence and not intimidating the soccer-moms, and tourists, with a Darth Vader aura.. .. . I'm guessing it's more like problems occurring at a really inopportune moment if the visor should drop unexpectedly after a stop.

I like my MultiTech... if it had more side cut-out to increase peripheral vision (like the new NeoTech is supposed to have) it would be perfect. As far a drop-down sun shades go... don't need 'em. And, the chin-bar is pretty close.. ..

Too bad the buy-in for the NeoTech is probably going to be pushing $650+.

As far as the non removable liner, ...
    Insert Fabreeze fabric-softener sheets after wearing... keeps mine fresh, and I don't have to use conditioner when I shampoo my hair anymore
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Question about the visor settings of the Multi Tech,

I bought mine slightly used from another forum member, but it did not come with an instruction/owners book.

Cleaning the face shield today I see there are three settings via a small plastic lever on the left side of the face shield.

Does one of them lock it in place to reduce wind noise ?

Seems like one of the other positions opens it slightly for some air inlet,

what is the 3rd for ??

I cannot manipulate the lever with gloves on anyway.

what is the 3rd for ??
    normal shield operation, e.g. open and close via the tab
    The shield has a ratchet type mechanism and will stay open at several positions.

Like you, I have found the lever difficult to use with gloves and generally find the tab for opening the visor easier and open it to the first ratchet detent for defogging.

(until I got a pinlock insert)

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Our local LEAs have to wear open-face helmets. Something about a kinder-gentler presence and not intimidating the soccer-moms, and tourists, with a Darth Vader aura.. .. . I'm guessing it's more like problems occurring at a really inopportune moment if the visor should drop unexpectedly after a stop.

I like my MultiTech... if it had more side cut-out to increase peripheral vision (like the new NeoTech is supposed to have) it would be perfect. As far a drop-down sun shades go... don't need 'em. And, the chin-bar is pretty close.. ..

Too bad the buy-in for the NeoTech is probably going to be pushing $650+.

Insert Fabreeze fabric-softener sheets after wearing... keeps mine fresh, and I don't have to use conditioner when I shampoo my hair anymore
    I'm confused, The whole reason for LEO's wearing modular helmets is so when we do have to talk to anyone, we simply open the chin bar fully. When we're done yapping, flip it back down and head on down the road. Never had any complaints...

We have installed quick releases on ours so if we need to get that helmet off in a hurry, we can. We have done some emergency drills with the helmets on and they don't really present a problem. I'm talking about gun fights of course, which are on average, at a distance of 7 yards and over in about 5 seconds...
    Brian-NC
    (Matthews)
    Current bike
    2010 RT Ostra Grey