Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: lane splitting

The AMA has a section on State Laws:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...isltn/laws.asp

For California, it says:
    Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

For comparison, for Florida it says:

Lane Splitting 316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

So when is is OK to you if not in traffic or filtering to the front at a light? When else would you do it?
    Crap! I dunno. it's a Karma thing... . . I think.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Tonk
    Dunno what the law says in CT. I do it occasionally, when traffic is bad. Usually dirvers are cool about it, although in NY I once had some jerk in a pickup open his door to try to stop a friend and myself. We just rode around it continued on our way.

In Custer State Park, SD, that same friend and I were trying to keep moving through stopped traffic to get away from a herd of buffalo (we felt pretty vulnerable) and some idiot in an RV tried to edge over and stop us. Words were exchanged and we moved on ... to another herd where I was chased down the road by a cow. And acquired a road name.

Quote Originally Posted by tonk View Post
    Dunno what the law says in CT. .
    it says its illegal.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

And acquired a road name.
    (Ta) tonk (a) ?
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I just paid a ticket that I got for doing it in Mass. I see it going on all the time, but my luck ran out.
    Karl

2007 K1200GT
    1987 K75C - sold

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    The problem I had with it, growing up in california, was when you were traveling in a car at say 55mph in some traffic (say speed limit is 65) and some jackalope zooms between you at 80 mph just flying up the road. That's dangerous and crazy, but still no reason to make proper use of it illegal.
    The "jackalopes" give lane splitting a bad rap. When performed properly, it's not anymore dangerous than riding down the freeway in the center lane at the limit (which is not recommended). I only split when traffic is at a crawl and there is no space allowing cars to change lanes. In CA, most cars move over and give you berth (at least in the SF bay area). As soon as traffic speeds up above, say 25, I stay home in my lane. I also find lane splitting in commute traffic easier than other times of the day. It's like they appreciate more bikes, which leaves room for more cars and less congestion.

Vanch, I grew up in Sacramento. I don't see where we disagree. I lane split as you do, and I still do it (illegally I guess) in NC. "Jackalopes" was the G rated word I used to describe NOT those who lane split, but those who shoot up between cars at high speeds when traffic is also moving at high speeds. If you're doing 55 in a 65, and a guy lane splits at 65, that's crazy. And you well know, living where you do, that many cruise down the free way at 80+mph splitting lanes when traffic is at a crawl. That, again, is crazy.

I meant to be derogatory towards those riders, not all lane splitters, of which I am one.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Unhappy

The problem I had with it, growing up in california, was when you were traveling in a car at say 55mph in some traffic (say speed limit is 65) and some jackalope zooms between you at 80 mph just flying up the road. That's dangerous and crazy, but still no reason to make proper use of it illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    they even have a training video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XihQe...ayer_embedded#!
    I think I have PTSD just from watching this video....

Vanch, I grew up in Sacramento. I don't see where we disagree. I lane split as you do, and I still do it (illegally I guess) in NC. "Jackalopes" was the G rated word I used to describe NOT those who lane split, but those who shoot up between cars at high speeds when traffic is also moving at high speeds. If you're doing 55 in a 65, and a guy lane splits at 65, that's crazy. And you well know, living where you do, that many cruise down the free way at 80+mph splitting lanes when traffic is at a crawl. That, again, is crazy.

I meant to be derogatory towards those riders, not all lane splitters, of which I am one.
    I'm with you. Those idiots (jackalopes) splitting lanes going at 80 are the ones that give lane splitting a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    legal in CA, illegal everywhere else.

(that would be the reverse of most things.)
    Not quite. Texas statutes simply don't address it. The tickets I've seen for lanesplitting in Texas are for "unsafe driving" or some other generalized thing. It depends on the officer. I know officers who ride that won't write a ticket for it as long as you aren't being an idiot, and I know officer's who've never been on a motorcycle who insist on writing a ticket for it. I've also seen judges who ride throw them out. But most judges will go with the officer.

In Texas, your best bet is to assume you'll get cited for it, but it is not statutorily illegal.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I would replace the word "illegal" with "accepted." A cop can write you a ticket for unsafe driving as you said. But in California, they won't, because it is accepted.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Texas statutes simply don't address it.

Wow. How often are Texas and California on the same page on anything.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    In California, according to the CHP, there is no law against lane splitting, and no law allowing int. But, you can be cited for unsafe speed - if your differential is more that 5 or 10 MPH, illegal lane change - if you ride the yellow line between the carpool and normal lanes, or just unsafe driving if the officer feels it so.

Ride intelligently and the CHiPs normally don't bother you. 36 years of riding and I have never had a ticket on a bike.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I agree. You live in California. So tell me you don't see that kind of activity all the time. I support a lane sharing that is well defined (like filtering to the front of a red light), and splitting when the traffic is congested, say 30 mph and lower for example. This would allow the original intention of the practice, which was cooling an air cooled engine that would overheat at a snails pace, to hold true. RT owners wouldn't be installing fans or overheating.

Lew, I had a 73/5 as my first bike.
    It seems to be regional. When I've been in LA, I see plenty of high speed strafing. Not so much up here.

And yes, I love lane splitting and since moving here in 1999 have used it constantly. When I go to other states, I have to overcome my reflex to ride right up to the front of the line at red lights and sliding up through slow moving traffic.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.