Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: R100 Cafe Racer Build Thread R100CCR

Rally Rat

Looking Good

Looking good my friend.

Thanks,
    Shane

PS: Thanks for the shop manual, that was way too generous of you.

Hubs Arrive

A pair of paralever hubs from a GS arrived over the weekend. They look good without any blems or damage. The bearings are smooth and there's little wear on the brake surface, so maybe a low miles machine?

The paralever hubs, from what I could find in parts books and sales lit, provide the only 4 bolt hub option to match the 4 bolt late model monolever final drive. The early monolevers (GSs) were 3 bolt.

A little over 20 mm needs to be removed from the paralever hub so it'll match the monlever final drive at the lug bolt mating surface.

Up front, there were a number of options for a dual disc wire wheel hub. But the gentleman with the rear hub from a GS also had the front, so the wheels are underway!

Going with a spoked wheel setup is a major part of the theme for this build, so glad this is rolling along.

Photos of the front and rear test setup on the bike and some prelim measurements for machine work here:

http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jgrooms; 12-14-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update link
    BMWMOA 99019 - 1970 R75/5; 1983 R80RT; R100 Cafe; K1200RS (gone but not forgotten)

What year/model is the front from? I'm looking to dual disk my cafe project as well with spokes. I don't really want to run snowflakes if I can help it.
    John.

GS Hubs

Using the GS rims??

GS Spoked wheels are able to use a tubless tire do to the spokes going to the outside of the rim. Making a spoked wheel that will be able to use a tubless tires.

Hub/ spoke angle may require you to use a GS rim.

Just a thought
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    What year/model is the front from? I'm looking to dual disk my cafe project as well with spokes. I don't really want to run snowflakes if I can help it.
    These are from a 92 GS I believe. I was initially looking for hubs from a 91-95 R80R or R100R. I wasn't sure initially on the spoke count for GSs. But later found they are the same, so this opened it up to 88-95 GS models also.

However, for just the front you have more options available, as there were a number of machines using the 285mm disc fitted hub. For the the rear the issue is the 4 bolt hub and those paralever years are it from what I can tell.
    BMWMOA 99019 - 1970 R75/5; 1983 R80RT; R100 Cafe; K1200RS (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    Using the GS rims??

GS Spoked wheels are able to use a tubless tire do to the spokes going to the outside of the rim. Making a spoked wheel that will be able to use a tubless tires.

Hub/ spoke angle may require you to use a GS rim.

Just a thought
    No hoops at this point.

Now that I have the hub, and after it's machined. We'll look at the offset required, probably around 10 mm, to get the roughly 3 mm rubber to swing arm clearance.

If I had found hubs laced up to rims, I think we would have issues anyway with offset because the paralever swing arm is longer. While I don't have one to compare, I'm guessing it has an indentation like the monolever swing arm does at the tire's widest point.

Also, the GS was a 17 in cross spoked setup. I think the R100Rs used the same. Plus monolever stock is 18 in.

So maybe GS rims will be the way? I'm not that familiar with what options might be available in non stock form on these.

And while for esthetics, the wire wheels are the way to go, the rear in complete setup, in stock from, is pretty heavy. So maybe there are some rim and spoke options to offset this?

Anybody built up some trick GS or R paralever stuff with some tips?
    Last edited by jgrooms; 11-28-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    Oh and when machine work is done, the Y shaped cast wheels will be available if anyone is interested.
    [ Admin Hat On ]

Please keep this type of posting off the forum...use the PM to make contact. Thanks...

[ Admin Hat Off ]
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    [ admin hat on ]

please keep this type of posting off the forum...use the pm to make contact. Thanks...

[ admin hat off ]
    10-4.

Hub and Wheels Moving Along

Jim has been on the phone with Buchanan's looking at the options. We'll go with Buchanan's Sun rims. The spokes have to be made and we should see everything by mid week next.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/categories/index.asp

In the meantime, the rear hub is with Layne Machine Works. These guys are great and we are talking old school. As Bobby says: "a big run for us is...two."

Dropped off the Y cast wheel for reference and the GS to be machined and then talked Indy cars. Yep, they had recently finished restoring an Offenhauser equipped Indy car that was driven in 1955 by Jimmy Ryan(?).

http://www.laynemachine.com/

BUBBAZANETTI
    $14,000?
    hahahhahahahahaahahhh..........ahahahahahhhhahhhhh hhhhhhh

good luck, I hope you don't end up sinking that much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    hahahhahahahahaahahhh..........ahahahahahhhhahhhhh hhhhhhh

good luck, I hope you don't end up sinking that much into it.
    No, my 'budget' is significantly less than that

R100RT paralever hub to monolever final drive

Picked up the rear GS hub. Used the Y cast hub/wheel as a guide and here it is.
    Need to bolt it up to check fit -- tonight. Then off to Cyclops to build the wheels!

Few more picks of Bobby at Layne Machine Works at work. Cost- $80.

http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum
    Last edited by jgrooms; 12-14-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Bad pic file.

Picked up the rear GS hub. Used the Y cast hub/wheel as a guide and here it is.
    Need to bolt it up to check fit -- tonight. Then off to Cyclops to build the wheels!

Few more picks of Bobby at Layne Machine Works at work. Cost- $80.

http://s1180.photobucket.com/albums/...Racer%20Build/
    I was curious about the lathe and found this 22 sec clip of same model in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtrWGI4Z4bE

What exactly are you having modified on the lathe? Yeah, I see it is the hub, but what is being done?
    John.

Not so fast my friend.....

Well the now machined paralever GS hub didn't match up so slick with the monolever final drive. The mating surface machine work was spot on per my measurements and all my super smart factoring

However, I failed to account for the fact that the spoked hub has the spoked boss area extending inward that the mono hub does not. The darn thing's nubbers hit the raised groove.

Well what's a build without a little drama? Taking into account that the spokes mount here, I proceeded over to the bench grinder and carefully whacked off the nubs. Then cleaned them up with a file so roughly 4 mm at the inner part and 1 mm near the out diameter is gone.

I was still getting some interference at one spot on the final drive and with a straightedge noted that this spot was higher. Since this wasn't a critical tolerance on the original setup, I suppose the manufacturing was a bit 'loose' here. So I used the 1/8 shaft diegrinder to even it up.

Considering the overall mass of the area where the two spokes mount, I don't believe I've compromised the integrity in any significant way by removing this small amount. I'll discuss carefully with master wheel man and see what he thinks before building the wheel. Didn't matter much to try this at this point, since the hub was machined. (disclaimer--proceed with caution whenever altering a factory design. Especially something as critical as wheel).

More pics here: http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum
    Last edited by jgrooms; 12-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.