Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: R100 Cafe Racer Build Thread R100CCR

Leadown test

Did some tinkering with the R100 last night. Mostly learned its rough. Some SAE fasteners here and there. Quite a few rounded fasteners, so I'd say there was a problem with the tool set. I hate that. The valve adjustment on the right side was nearly a 1/4 in! I doubt it ran very well. The mostly telling sign was the beat to ---- exhaust ring nuts. Hammers, screwdrivers, and probably a big pair of channel locks. Fortunately I was still able to get THE tool on them and they came off after a bit of a soak.

The leakdown showed 16 and 20%. Not earth shattering, as a top end refresh is called for no matter what.

I really should get the engine running, to get a sense of what could be wrong and make sure the gearbox goes through the gears. But the wiring nightmare with some funky cutoff switch on the airbox makes me want to pass.

I'll get the big magnet out and then strain the tranny and engine oils for debris. I'm sure I'll be into the lower end on this one....

If so, big cam to go with a bigger bore?

What's this headlight off of?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea why people use photobucket? The photos are so small, they are like postage stamps. So I get nothing out of them. Unless there is something I don't understand about making them larger.
    Les... are you "clicking" on the images? They should enlarge when you do so. In fact, it's a two step enlargement, i.e. they will enlarge twice.

The linked page can be considered the "proof sheet".
    Click on one of the images to enlarge it.
    Then click on the "enlarged image" to go one step larger.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Les... are you "clicking" on the images? They should enlarge when you do so. In fact, it's a two step enlargement, i.e. they will enlarge twice.

The linked page can be considered the "proof sheet".
    Click on one of the images to enlarge it.
    Then click on the "enlarged image" to go one step larger.

When I click on the the 2nd time they never do anything, in any browser.

Might try another computer. I may be blocking something.

Ideas from photos....

Here is an ad posted recently on IBMWR: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/rabs

This R80 monoshock conversion has some really trick elements to it.

First off, the wheels. I'm not a big fan of these and already mentioned that I'm going to attempt to use a set of paralever bike spokers. But these wheels, with the polished rim and I assume powder coated rest, look sharp (the ad says the fork legs are powder coated).

The Hagon single shock is trick.

Note the frame mods. The rear shock and bag hanger weld ons were removed and the frame gusseted and then drilled. Of course the lack of a mud guard is impractical.

The engine/exhaust, stock as it is, is super clean and looks good. The cockpit/instrumentation is dialed in IMO.

Seat/cowl looks like: http://flatracer.com/#/bmw-cosmetic-parts/4538130542

$14,000?

But these wheels, with the polished rim and I assume powder coated rest, look sharp (the ad says the fork legs are powder coated).
    It sure look powder coated, or at least painted. I powder-coated my top triple clamp on my /5 and really liked the result. I used a "pewter" color, but the gray in the photo is subtle. I live within a half mile of the Pacific Ocean and the salt air has always played havoc with the bare metal on my bike. I'm seriously considering powder-coating the lower triple clamp this winter, aluminum turn signal housings, etc. No exactly "correct" but it would certainly be different.

I also like the "coordinated" look between wheels, front sliders, etc. "Continuous" would be the design term... There would more than likely be a number of other elements that could be the same color.

It might even be fun to explore powder coating the tank, fender, and seat, and then use gloss areas to accent them. I don't know whose bike it was on /5United, but he painted his Toaster panels the same color as the tank and it was striking (IMO) Like NOT painting your knee pad recesses...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Image is Everything. . .

Les, and others --

On Firefox (mine), I have to first click on the picture, then go up to the top of the page, right under the Toolbar words (File, Edit, etc.), where I find a new little "bar" related to the picture, such as "BMWMOA Flea Market. . ." Click on THAT, and ONLY then will it show me an enlarged picture.

Trust me, I know NOTHING about this stuff, and on some days, it's clearly the hand of the devil at work. It it took me awhile to figure this out, and it was mostly an accident. Before this revelation, I ruined my eyes by squinting at the miniature pictures, so don't let this happen to YOU. Tragic.

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    Les, and others --

On Firefox (mine), I have to first click on the picture, then go up to the top of the page, right under the Toolbar words (File, Edit, etc.), where I find a new little "bar" related to the picture, such as "BMWMOA Flea Market. . ." Click on THAT, and ONLY then will it show me an enlarged picture.

Trust me, I know NOTHING about this stuff, and on some days, it's clearly the hand of the devil at work. It it took me awhile to figure this out, and it was mostly an accident. Before this revelation, I ruined my eyes by squinting at the miniature pictures, so don't let this happen to YOU. Tragic.

Walking Eagle
    No worky! I don't have that.

I think you guys who get this option have registered with Photobucket possibly.

The advantage of Picasa and Flikr are that you don't need to register. I don't register if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten View Post

I think you guys who get this option have registered with Photobucket possibly.
    I checked again on pc with no Photobucket history and it works full screen.

Quote Originally Posted by jgrooms View Post
    I checked again on pc with no Photobucket history and it works full screen.

Well figured out what it was, definitely my end. Funny thing is that it affected all 3 browsers on my Computer. I cleared out all History, Cookies,and cache and the page is totally different.

UPS man comes today!

Not much getting done. It's been too nice and riding calls. However, the weather will change with the time change, so more shop time.

Can't find any wire wheels off a paralever bike. The bike's overall concept depends on wire wheels IMO.

The Brown man did bring me a nice minty NOS Koni shock today. Not as much bling as the Hagon, but that's good. The spring has a gunmetal flake to it that looks good offset by the gray engine. Probably won't show up in the pic. More http://bit.ly/ClymerFlatRacerPhotoAlbum
    Last edited by jgrooms; 12-14-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: update link

Probably the closet thing available would be the wire wheels off a R80ST, Would probably need the final drive and total front end assembly off the ST to use those wheels. These bikes were monolever so it has that going for it. The rear wheels I think were mounted with 3 bolts instead of 4 on the later monolevers. Might work for you though.

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    Where did you get the NOS Koni?

Barron

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Probably the closet thing available would be the wire wheels off a R80ST, Would probably need the final drive and total front end assembly off the ST to use those wheels. These bikes were monolever so it has that going for it. The rear wheels I think were mounted with 3 bolts instead of 4 on the later monolevers. Might work for you though.
    Thanks. I think the issue is as you mention, the 3 vs 4 bolt wheel/hub on ST/GS monolever. At least that's what I've seen on a quick look of pics and parts info. I have been emailing with a guy who used a 4 bolt paralever spoked hub. "Easy" was his explanation. It did require a spacer to be made and machine work on the inner part of the hub to final drive mating surface.

So from parts lists this narrows it down to a R100R or R100R Mystic 91-94. This may include GS models, but I wasn't sure if the spoke count was same. I now think it is, so maybe a GS paralever will be a good donor as well and that would certainly add to my chances of finding some used parts. Although there are some other parts on the Mystic that I'd like to source. So if there is a wrecked one out there, let me know.
    BMWMOA 99019 - 1970 R75/5; 1983 R80RT; R100 Cafe; K1200RS (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Williams View Post
    Where did you get the NOS Koni?

Barron
    Found it on IBMWR!
    BMWMOA 99019 - 1970 R75/5; 1983 R80RT; R100 Cafe; K1200RS (gone but not forgotten)