Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: k1600GTL Tires

kaygee
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritrider51 View Post
    Replacing rear tire on my k1600gtl today. 12,000+ miles. Bike has been traveled across the country. Using stock Bridgestone tire. Front tire not even close to needing replacement, will use same. Peace
    Based on your mileage I want to order a set of these Bridgestone to replace the Metzler Z8 that came on my GTL. Can you provide details regarding the specific model of Bridgestones?

Rod Podhola

tires

yah round ones with air in them as long as there not made in china

Michelin PR3's went on my 1600 GT yesterday what a difference, I'll be happy to get 6k miles out of them, who would have thought a 1600 was a sport bike

If you don't get 6k please send me your GPS tracks as I think I'd like those routes. 5k on second set and they have tons of life left in them. Swapped prior set @ 7k because I had long trip planned. (Had at least another 1k in them before hitting wear bars)

Tire Time

Today will be new rear tire time on my GTL (original tire). I always maintain proper tire pressure and my bike is primarily two up touring and the occasional trailer pulling. I just started seeing the cord and my rear has 8.5k miles on it. I think that's pretty good so I am putting the stock tire back on as my replacement.

Loading the Bike

Tire change

I had the Metz Z8 on the bike when it was purchased. Great tire, very sticky dry or wet. These only lasted 6k though.

After research and talking to a couple BMW shops I put on B-stones Battlax BT 023 GT's. After a 15 day ride putting just under 5k on them, I found they also feel good in dry or wet conditions. Front shows very little wear and back at 90%+.

These tires get a regular work-out on CA Hwy 74. The Palms to Pines road, as it's called, starts at 233 ft elevation with a nice series of twisties (9 switchbacks) which takes you up to approx 4,800+ ft elevation in about 17 miles. Than ride back roads of SoCal (San Diego Co.) for 200-300 miles, than come back down Hwy 74 twisties.

Dealer says they are seeing many K1600GTL owners are replacing with the B-stones BT 023 GT tires and are hearing positive feedback. With about 8k miles I can attest these tires Stick, Feel, and Wear well.

Drew

New Year, New Tire

Replacing my stock Metz after 9100 miles. Going with the Michelins..

The new PR4's (GT) are boasting an additional 20% longevity over the PR3's. So they may now come close to the longevity of the PR2 but with the additional wet weather traction of the 3's.

PR's Rule!
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Speed1 View Post
    The new PR4's (GT) are boasting an additional 20% longevity over the PR3's. So they may now come close to the longevity of the PR2 but with the additional wet weather traction of the 3's.

PR's Rule!
    I replaced the stock Metzlers ( which were OK at best) on my K1300GT with the P3s and I was amazed at the improvement in all types of handling.. wet and dry. I put ~6k driven hard and put away wet trouble free miles on them when I traded her in.
    Since then I have moved awn up to a deluxe apt in the sky with my K1600GT. The OEM Metzlers are ok at 3k mikes and I anticipate an additional 2-4k more before the inevitable.

The PR4s look promising and in my experience, with the 3s, looking forward to the change. But, has anyone actually mounted and can speak to the experience with these on the K1600GT beast?
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

K1600GTL tires

Got 7800 miles out of my stock Metzlers. Planning a trip from Jackson Springs, NC to Alaska in early June. Been doing a lot of research on tires, because I don't want to buy tires in Alaska. My dealer (Carolina BMW) suggests the new Michelin PR 4s. Hopefully I can complete the 12,000 mile round trip on those.

Quote Originally Posted by bcarpenter10350 View Post
    Got 7800 miles out of my stock Metzlers. Planning a trip from Jackson Springs, NC to Alaska in early June. Been doing a lot of research on tires, because I don't want to buy tires in Alaska. My dealer (Carolina BMW) suggests the new Michelin PR 4s. Hopefully I can complete the 12,000 mile round trip on those.
    Hope you post a trip thread with pics! . A father / son combo did this last summer on a GTL and another bike and they got a flat on way home. I think if it was me I'd look into staging a pair somewhere within easy shipping distance of your route as a precaution.

Just my .02 and probably not worth that.

Good luck,
    Dave

Picking up my riding buddy's brother in Olympia, WA for the ride on up to Alaska. May be a good location to stash a couple of tires for the ride back to NC just in case. Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to post a trip thread with pics

I'd never make 12K on a set of tires. I'd plan ahead on having a set installed somewhere around the 8k mark. A little prior planning and this shouldn't be too difficult.
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

Some peeps just get better mileage out of tires period. I'm going to the PR4's as well, heck if I get 8-10K I will be a happy camper. You say 12K is needed for your round-trip, hmmm... well maybe. Since they are new?, nobody really knows for sure. Since 6K is your halfway point, I would bet dollars to doughnuts you'll least get back out of Alaska before needing new sneakers, and who knows, you may make it all the way back.

Wish you a great trip, and most of all, tread lightly ...hey, but ya have to have fun too!, right?
    Business comes first, riding comes always. One puts bread on the table, the other eats all the bread. Oh well, I'm riding happy!
    Go-Karts 'R' us | Power-Sports Forum

My 2013 GTL came with Metzler Z8's last June. I replaced them in October at 3,870 miles due to uneven wear, scalloping.

Put on Michelin PR3's with B spec rear. So far only 1,100 miles but a much better feeling set of tires. More responsive, smoother ride.
    Jerry, Monument, CO, USA; 2013 K1600GTL, Mineral Silver
    "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense?" - Patrick Henry