Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: k1600GTL Tires

Smile k1600GTL Tires

any opinions on tire replacement for street riding. bike came with bridgestones and need to be replaced at 12,000 miles

Search is your friend

Countless posts on tires oils etc
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Smile k1600 gtl

can search but not many gtl are listed

On page 5 of the Nov ON is an ad for MaxBMW and a feature of tires available for each model. I tried it a few minutes ago and it only lists one rear tire currently, which is a Metz Z8...or my computer is loading very slowly.
    . The magazine ad shows a 12RT and several brands and full product info

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...rket&vid=53246

Any manufacturer that meets the size listed in your owners manual will work. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are in the same category as the Metzeler.
    Depends on how you ride and in what type weather as well and everyone has their favorites.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Smile k1600GTL tires

thanks for info i am sure thier will be more comments as bikes get more mileage

Washington Crossing, Pa. Along the Delaware River
    You got 12,000 miles from a pair of tires!!!!!! I would put those Bridgestones back on. I got Metz. Z8s They get very lumpy at 3,000 miles. Will try Mich. Road Pilot 3 next.

Love 2 Ride
    I was getting about 8000 miles a set out of the dunlop roadsmarts on my 1150RT. They worked very well in all weather conditions. I am finishing the buying process of my new 1600gt through the mail now. My bike is in WA and I am working in Hawaii till the end of Dec. Hoping for a wet not white christmas so I can play with my new toy that will be waiting for me in my garage.
    I will probably use the roadsmarts again or try the pilot road 3's, unless something better turns up.

K1600GTL Tires

Quote Originally Posted by ashley12 View Post
    any opinions on tire replacement for street riding. bike came with bridgestones and need to be replaced at 12,000 miles
    Yeah, 12,000 miles on your first set of tires on a 1600? Must be breaking the bike in real, real slow?

Well, there's something to highlight about this new model.
    04 R1100s (gone), 92 K75s, 97 F650st

I ride a heavier K1200LT. I just put my second set of Avon Storm II Ultra's on. Love those tires. Had Metzler's before. The Avons are much stickier. Got just over 9,000 miles on the rear, and 10,000 on the front.

I've been running the Michelin Pilots for the last 3 tire sets on my K1200RS. They are great tires, they will be my next set again.

Rick
    '99 K1200RS (the fast one)
    '08 R1200GS

Rather be flying, but....
    At 12k on your tires you are way ahead of most out there.

I got 5500 out of the Metzlers and they had to be replaced. Mostly highway miles and I don't ride hard.

I had to replace them with the same because no one could get me the Pilot Road 3s at the time I needed replacement.

I have a new set of PR3s in my garage for next change. Good reports on them from those running them now. Hopefully there will be better mileage reposrt on the PR3s.
    '04 R1200CLC
    '06 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by hungstart View Post
    I've been running the Michelin Pilots for the last 3 tire sets on my K1200RS. They are great tires, they will be my next set again.

Rick
    '99 K1200RS (the fast one)
    '08 R1200GS
    I'm on my second set on a K1300S. Even with a track day, that last pair got 12,500 out of 'em and still had another 1,500 to go but I was planning a trip and needed new tread before I left.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '96 K1100LTA 'Dusty'
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Quote Originally Posted by Furman View Post
    You got 12,000 miles from a pair of tires!!!!!! I would put those Bridgestones back on. I got Metz. Z8s They get very lumpy at 3,000 miles. Will try Mich. Road Pilot 3 next.
    Hi Furman,
    I had Metz Z8 and only got 3080 miles out of them, Patches of chord showing all the way around. Handeled Great loved the tire ,just wore out too soon. Then I put Road Pilot 3 on it and have put 900 miles on them, and they are showing cupping pretty bad allready. Showed the dealer ( did not purchase them from dealer) and the dealer said that the road pilot tire wasnt designed for that heavy of a bike. I would rethink the Pilot 3's.
    Comments Please.

2012 GTL
    Last edited by Joseph206; 12-12-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Not enough info.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Any manufacturer that meets the size listed in your owners manual will work. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are in the same category as the Metzeler.
    The size is only one of the three important specification's to be met when looking for a tire. The weight & speed rating should also meet the manufacturer's specification.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

k1600gtl rear tire

Replacing rear tire on my k1600gtl today. 12,000+ miles. Bike has been traveled across the country. Using stock Bridgestone tire. Front tire not even close to needing replacement, will use same. Peace