View Poll Results: How do you use your GS and what about tires?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Street tires only, love new pavement and hate rough roads

5 5.26%
  • Dual sport tires but avoid dirt roads when possible

14 14.74%
  • Dual sport tires and ride wherever the GPS says. Seeks out forest and dirt roads.

59 62.11%
  • Switch between dual sport tires and knobbies. Some trail Ridingods

10 10.53%
  • Knobbies all the time, let's get dirty!

10 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How you use your GS

Ditto Visian;

I doesn't matter to many indeed. People don't belong! Makes me sick to hear'em speak. Too many do indeed wreck the woods too, so hope we are the majority and respect our lands, but USE them. I am SO tired of one bad apple, equals ALL must be thrown out! Even my horses are subject to some of this stupid idealism, dogs too. Their isn't a place for me to get far enough away from stupid at times! Randy

how u use it

Always had a street bike visiting the GP races, Assen,Hockenheim and Brno, but that of course made more sense in Europe twisties and a regular on the Autobahn, but in the US and Canada riding the interstates and HWY no fun, speed limits no use for your HP and besides that passing on the right is common practise in North America doesn't make it safer, so I decided to go with a GS. Well never looked back again.

We (my buddy which is riding the Globebuster tour Willem the flying Dutch man) are riding a lot of old log roads (Canada) and yes drop the bike regular, just got my Woody's front 80/90/21 TL that will be fun more dirt to hit, preparing the bike for next season 2012, 21 inch wheel, shorten the signal lights add an rotopax on the back of the rack and add a rear fender (Maier usa) do most of the fab and maintenance stuff my self save some $$$$.

The plan ride the TAT start at Guymon OK and on the way back the rally in Sedallia,
    probably no time for the GS Giant but can't have it all.
    Every turn an opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by de Razendebol View Post
    Always had a street bike visiting the GP races, Assen,Hockenheim and Brno, but that of course made more sense in Europe twisties and a regular on the Autobahn, but in the US and Canada riding the interstates and HWY no fun, speed limits no use for your HP and besides that passing on the right is common practise in North America doesn't make it safer, so I decided to go with a GS. Well never looked back again.

We (my buddy which is riding the Globebuster tour Willem the flying Dutch man) are riding a lot of old log roads (Canada) and yes drop the bike regular, just got my Woody's front 80/90/21 TL that will be fun more dirt to hit, preparing the bike for next season 2012, 21 inch wheel, shorten the signal lights add an rotopax on the back of the rack and add a rear fender (Maier usa) do most of the fab and maintenance stuff my self save some $$$$.

The plan ride the TAT start at Guymon OK and on the way back the rally in Sedallia,
    probably no time for the GS Giant but can't have it all.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I would guess I'm 75% pavement. Tourances are doing just fine on forest roads and roads with 'Notch' in the name.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Does water count.....had to clean the old G/S off.
    Richard
    2004 R1150RS
    1984 R80 G/S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I would guess I'm 75% pavement. Tourances are doing just fine on forest roads and roads with 'Notch' in the name.
    Next year, Damn Yankees Rally.

Put on some TKC's, ditch all the luggage and come do the dual-sport ride with us.

I know you can do it.

F800gs

I ride my GS all over the Place... Dirt Roads.. Fire Roads... ATV Trails. Places I probably should not but due anyway

I Have been running TKC-80's front and back, getting about 10-12k miles out of the front... and about 5k miles out of the back. But the Tires are great, even when I ride though Mud Water Rocks...Etc...Grip well at High Angles, slide predictably (After some wear) and confidently come back inline.

How Far Off The Pavement?

So I had this great F800GS with full farkles and Knobies. The Missouri River flooded and I had to take the bike for a swim. Got a bit deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

F650GS - Chile/Argentina 2009

I still have the bike named El Pinguino. Ran on Dunlop dual sports and Metzler Sahara II - when we could find tires! This was a good road, just trecherous because it was windy, sandy, rutted, and a long way to anywhere. Taken outside of Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile.

No awesome backgrounds today...but instead of a boring 40 mile trip in the Dodge to pick up some electrical supplies, I turned it into a 100 mile early morning all Smiles errand and got to ride with Helen as she was headed to work.

I know someone will chime in again with..."just because you can doesn't mean you should"
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I'll chime in..... just because you should not doesn't mean you will not.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    i'll chime in..... Just because you should not doesn't mean you will not.
    I usually do
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I like to ride off road... but lately i've been looking to step up the challenge a little.

Stagehand.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    No awesome backgrounds today...but instead of a boring 40 mile trip in the Dodge to pick up some electrical supplies, I turned it into a 100 mile early morning all Smiles errand and got to ride with Helen as she was headed to work.
    Where's the red flag? 2

Carrying pipe is OK, but I prefer smaller loads....

2010 Rocky Mountain GS Challenge (Canada)

There is a GS Adventure upside down about 1/2 way up the hill.

Video: http://kloc.smugmug.com/Other/vids/1...VxMfh&lb=1&s=A