Thread: Day Rides Around Glacier National Park

Hybrid View

Day Rides Around Glacier National Park

I'm leading a club ride from Denver to Glacier in late June 2012. We'll be coming up from Salmon ID the fourth day and spending two nights in Whitefish MT and two nights in Waterton AL. Wondering if anyone could recommend a day trip from the Whitefish area and a day trip from the Waterton area. We'll be doing the Follow the Sun route in between. Just looking for around a hundred miles for each of the day trips, most will be two-up on RTs and we will have done quite a few miles to get up to that area. Any ideas? Thanks!! Steve

Not a local by any means, but my niece is a Park Ranger at Glacier.

We were up that way summer 2010. Usually, the Going to the Sun road is open by late June. It was mid June when we were there and was still closed near the Logan Pass summit. Depends on how much snow they get up there.

A truly great road recommended to us by Jim Shaw is MT 37 from Libby to Eureka called the Lake Koocanusa Scenic Byway. It's a bit east of Whitefish and can be reached from the Libby side by US 2 or to the Eureka end on US 93. Great scenery along the way. We had it to ourselves most of it's length and the pavement was new. We did it north to south and had the lake on our right along the route... beautiful road.

We did a loop to Waterton for lunch from West Glacier headed east on 2 crossing on 17 at Chief Mtn and came back thru Roosville/Eureka back to Whitefish...however it was near a 300 mile loop and neither my sister who rode with me nor my sister in law on back with my brother were happy with my long day.The route was changed at lunch due to a huge line of storms w/lightning from where we came from. I took us west to re-enter the US to avoid the light show...caught us as we entered Whitefish.

The huge lodge above Waterton is worth stopping and looking down at the town and Waterton Lake glacier carved views. My brother was on a mega large Victory Vision, I was on a GSA and Helen on her 1150R...no issues with roads.

I am sure more local info will be headed your way...makes me want to go back just talking about it. You going to catch Chief Joseph Hwy, Beartooth Pass or Lolo Pass while in the general area?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

We were out in Glacier at the end of June, 2011. Going to the Sun was not open, and in fact did not open until well after we got home. It was some time in mid-July I think. It would be a great road to ride, but we had plenty of riding without it. Route 2 that runs from East to West Glacier is actually very picturesque, as is the road along the east side of park and up into Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park.
    Dan

Steve:

From Waterton, take #6 north to 507 (just south of Pincher Creek), then west to 774, and south to Castle Ski Area. When you run out of pavement, backtrack north to #3 and go east to Lundbreck. Follow the signs to the falls. Continue east to #6 and go south to Pincher Creek, where you can have lunch.

From Whitefish, the best run is probably the Koocanusa, as mentioned above. Another one would be 40 east to 206 and 35 south, around Flathead Lake, and returning north up 93.

I just did a trip report on the Rennlist, that covers part of your route:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ip-report.html

Finally: plan your trip on the assumption that the Going to the Sun will be closed in late June. However, there is new asphalt between Kiowa junction and St. Mary, on 89, and it is now a glorious ride.

...route 2... is actually very picturesque...dancogan
    For the riding, or driving, I actually prefer the Marias Pass route over Going to the Sun.
    Last edited by rinty; 10-29-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Goint to the Sun Route

Sounds like not assuming that the Going to the Sun highway will be open on June 28th would be the prudent thing to do. These suggestions are very helpful, guess I'll dig my maps out and try to get a little more specific. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by BMorleyW View Post
    Sounds like not assuming that the Going to the Sun highway will be open on June 28th would be the prudent thing to do. These suggestions are very helpful, guess I'll dig my maps out and try to get a little more specific. Steve
    You never know. But 2011 was the second latest opening ever for Going to the Sun Road. The only later one was the year it first opened. There is plenty of riding around there even if it's closed.
    Dan