Thread: Bosch condensers

Bosch condensers

I just received a BMW Group condenser (made in Turkey) from a California BMW shop. While it may be fine in electrical terms, it's "form factor" leaves a lot to be desired.

The tangs of the "clamp" will not compress together requiring a longer screw be substituted. Even then, when tightened, the mounting screw hits the clamp of the condenser causing it to not seat correctly unless "blue torqued" ... a procedure I never use on my old Airhead.

I didn't realize it was not a Bosch part when I opened the plastic bag, so I'm stuck with a $16 part that I can't use. When ordering, I specifically requested Noris points, I guess I should have specifically requested a Bosch condenser.

So, WHO has the real-deal, HTFG, Bosch condensers?

It's Monday, so I can't call around . . ..
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

James.A
    Lew, the last time I ordered an ignition set from MAXBMW the parts came in boxes labelled "Made in Austria". That's gotta be about as close as you might find.
    I ordered a point set last year from RE-Pscycle, "Made in China".

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've discovered this morning too James.

I talked with the guys a BenchMark and they were more than a little surprised that these "new" condensers don't fit unless you do a little re-enga-neering on them. The "fix" appears to be a washer, or two, placed between the mounting tangs, and a longer screw; so the clamp doesn't distort. There isn't much room for a locking washer, so a tiny dab of Loctite Blue may be the answer... grrr The real fix would be if the #$%@! clamp were formed correctly to start with.

I really don't give a rat's tucus if the parts bags reads BMW Group on it, I would very much prefer that it read Bosch.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Moto Bins
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves