Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: centerstand vs kickstand for parking

i use my sidestand most of the time. i added one of those bolt on pads to increase the footprint. when fueling, i'm usually sitting on the bike so i can hold it upright. i usually just use the centerstand for maintenance or to save garage space.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

Wow, lots of posts with nothing but opinions. You know your bike, you know how its loaded, you know the surface you are parking on. Park it on which ever stand you feel the most comfortable with for the set of circumstances.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Sit View Post
    Wow, lots of posts with nothing but opinions. You know your bike, you know how its loaded, you know the surface you are parking on. Park it on which ever stand you feel the most comfortable with for the set of circumstances.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.

It also depends on which battery and tires you have
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Nah! It is the nitrogen in the tires that makes it bounce if you are standing beside it.

And the uneven pressure front to rear always makes it bounce away from you.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Side Stand

I have an '04 R1100S "Boxer Prep", not equipped with a centerstand. I manage.

Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it?[/QUOTE]

If you're going to be standing next to it, you really should use the accessory center stand safety strap with the titanium retention clip to secure it to your belt so it doesn't get away from you. Model specific and only $376.95 at the dealer, but you might be able to find a used one.
    Good judgment comes from experience, but experience often comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by 182242 View Post
    Now for the big question. Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it?

If you're going to be standing next to it, you really should use the accessory center stand safety strap with the titanium retention clip to secure it to your belt so it doesn't get away from you. Model specific and only $376.95 at the dealer, but you might be able to find a used one.
    That is a good idea, but get it with the optional upgrade-bungee cord, so it just bounces back up to you, like a 600 pound yo-yo.
    Last edited by Bmandiego; 08-01-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Two reasons I use the center stand at all times:
    1. Can't really access hard cases while on side stand.
    2. Bike leans too much on side stand.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I only use the center stand while wearing lederhosen.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I'm pretty sure I don't wanna see that.
    2000 R1100RT-P

Austin, Texas, USA, Earth, SOL, Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Lightbulb

... Do you take it off the center stand while on the bike or standing next to it? I think it depends on whether you are using synthetic oil or not.
    "Take" it off the center stand? About 1 in 15-20 times I'll ride it off the center stand. (Probably not good for the longevity of the stand, engine case, etc.)

Half of the time I'll just push it off the stand, the other times I'll rock it off the stand while on the bike. It mostly depends on whether or not I'm on level ground or "uphill".

The only thing with leaving the bike on the sidestand is that I've found almost every time I've done so, I'll walk up to the bike with someone either on (or just about to get on) my bike.

YMMV...
    Josh Friedman
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    "... Love Much, Laugh Often..."

I use the centerstand 95% of the time. I only had it fall once. That was when the arm on the side of the stand broke off!! Has anyone else had that happen? The stand is hollow. I machined a solid insert and welded it back together. That fix has lasted ~10 yrs.
    1998 R1100RT
    FPB111 1998 R-RT

need a fix for the side stand

I primarily use the center stand only because the lean angle of my side stand is SO extreme. I'll only use the side stand if the ground is slightly sloping up that way.

Any thoughts on how I can extend (or can it be adjusted) the side stand? I'm thinking upwards towards an inch or so.

Please insert answer here: ________________________________________
    -Ride Safe & Avoid Anyone On The Phone-
    **2000 R1100RT (Bullfrog), 1976 R90/6 (Tadpole)**
    beemerFROG a.k.a. Douglas E. Rost
    MotoFrog.net -- Black Frog Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by 182242 View Post
    i use my sidestand most of the time. i added one of those bolt on pads to increase the footprint. when fueling, i'm usually sitting on the bike so i can hold it upright. i usually just use the centerstand for maintenance or to save garage space.

Off the subject a bit: I never fill my tank while mounted. Rapid departure from a gasoline fire is enhanced by being off the bike. I also fear a mishap where gasoline is sprayed in my lap which seems much more likely when mounted. Gasoline you know is a strong skin irritant and particularly tender skin is close by.

I use the centerstand because I can't reliably set my helmet or bag on the bike on the sidestand without it falling off. No problem with the sidestand, though. I have succumbed to the temptation of fueling on the bike. Twice as fast, and I get it topped all the way off, but it's just not smart.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.