Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rear Shock...need adjusted or worn out?

Quote Originally Posted by 156327 View Post
    Here's another after market shock question. Maybe you Ohlins and Wilburs owners know...
    I notice that when you need to get under the alternator cover to check or replace your HES or your alternator belt an Ohlins shock is too big to allow removal of the cover.
    Is this also the case with Wilburs or HyperPro or YSS or ??

To me that is a negative on the Ohlins front shock.
    I have a Wilburs up front on my R11S. i only need to pull the fairing off to give me adequate room for removal/install of the shock, and no need to remove shock to get the alternator cover off the bike. have never had an HES issue, so don't know about that. Have changed alt belt a few times, no concern. no idea about an Ohlins up front.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    I have a Wilburs up front on my R11S. i only need to pull the fairing off to give me adequate room for removal/install of the shock, and no need to remove shock to get the alternator cover off the bike. have never had an HES issue, so don't know about that. Have changed alt belt a few times, no concern. no idea about an Ohlins up front.
    That's good to know. So Wilbur shocks must have a slightly smaller dimension spring on them. That alone would have me leaning towards Wilbur when the time comes on my 1100RT. With 21k miles on it now it won't be long I suspect.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.ph...=33159&catid=2

I see you have multiple bikes which is the way to go!! Flea market somtimes has used stock or replacement schocks for sale. Patience on these items will always save you $$$$
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.ph...=33159&catid=2

I see you have multiple bikes which is the way to go!! Flea market somtimes has used stock or replacement schocks for sale. Patience on these items will always save you $$$$
    that's a crappy deal.
    those shocks are not just used, they are used UP!
    25-35K is about the extent of the useful lifespan of a set of stockers. those would be a good set to buy if you already owned Ollies or Wilburs, and wanted a spare set to install for those times when the good ones were getting rebuilt, and you "needed" a running bike. otherwise- total waste of $.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Nickname: Droid
    I understand the rationale of buying a used/salvage shock for the $$$$ savings. But is it really any savings? I would only buy a stock OEM used/salvage shock if I knew it had less than 10,000miles of use on it. Any stock OEM shock with miles on it close to 30,000 is used up and crap, probably no better than the shock it replaces.

Then cost to purchase. To me, a stock OEM shock would only be a deal for $50 or far less. Again, it has to do with the useable life. IF the shock is confirmed to only have about 10,000 miles on it, and it can be bought for $50, then it may be good for about 10,000 miles of use, which for me is one riding season. Now if I do the installation work myself there is some savings. But to pay a shop to install a used shock is money wasted too.

Plus I am convinced now, after three seasons, and three front tires (I go about 10K to 12K on front sport touring tires), with a good quality non-OEM shock on the front, my front tires no longer cup/scallop/wear significantly on the left side. So a crappy worn out front shock also leads to accelerated front tire wear. What savings is there in that OEM shock then?

Talking

I notice that when you need to get under the alternator cover to check or replace your HES or your alternator belt an Ohlins shock is too big to allow removal of the cover.
    Is this also the case with Wilburs or HyperPro or YSS or ??

I have WILBERS and have no problems getting under the alternator cover on my 1100RT......
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    I have WILBERS and have no problems getting under the alternator cover on my 1100RT......
    I have two BMWs; both bought used.

When it came time to rebuild the Ohlins on the K 100RS, I pulled the shock and called Ohlins to see about a rebuild. "Sir, that model cannot be rebuilt." WTF???

I found a used Wilbur for it and sent it to klaus for a rebuild. I paid $50.00 for the used shock and the total for parts/labor /shipping was $143.00. Total cost $193.00 for a like new shock.

My R1100RT came with Wilburs. I rode it for a year before it started to bottom out when riding two up with luggage on our trip to the Unrally X. Those were $150 each for the total cost.

i recommend Wilburs and Klaus is my new shock expert. He even called me to discuss how I wanted him to set up the shocks.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

vidking

Stock BMW Showa shocks - any good at all?

All the talk about after-market shocks being so much better than stock shocks has me wondering. Would BMW really place crappy shock absorbers on their bikes? I'm thinking the answer to that is "no."
    Of course, with time and mileage all shocks loose the damping qualities they had when they were new. Everybody seems to agree with that, regardless of the shock absorber brand.
    So someone explain to me why a rebuilt stock Showa shock would be so much worse than a rebuilt after market shock.

How hard do you ride? Do you need big $ aftermarket shocks? You can get the stock BMW "non-rebuildable" shocks rebuilt for a fraction the cost of new at a couple of places.

I had mine done at Lindemann Engineering http://www.le-suspension.com/

because a stock Showa, rebuilt or otherwise, is "merely adequate".

BMW has to meet price points, just like every other manufacturer. shocks are an easy place to cut costs, as most riders can't tell the difference, or don't even care about the difference. that, and the average rider sells the bike before the stock shock gives out (approx. 30K miles). as long as it keeps the rear tire from hitting the undercarriage, most don't really know or care what is going on back there.
    Last edited by bikerfish1100; 11-01-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: hyperbole reduction
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    because a stock Showa, rebuilt or otherwise, is crap.

BMW has to meet price points, just like every other manufacturer. shocks are an easy place to cut costs, as most riders can't tell the difference, or don't even care about the difference. that, and the average rider sells the bike before the stock shock gives out (approx. 30K miles). as long as it keeps the rear tire from hitting the undercarriage, most don't really know or care what is going on back there.
    I have gone after market on my BMW's, however, I did a rebuild on my first S rear shock for only $150. It worked as good as stock and for many people that is all they really need.

To answer an earlier question:
    I have an '04 1150RT with an Ohlins up front. Yes: to remove the alternator cover, I have to un-do the bottom shock mount and slip it forward a little. No Big Deal.

JohnWC
    [QUOTE
    So someone explain to me why a rebuilt stock Showa shock would be so much worse than a rebuilt after market shock.[/QUOTE]

This has always been a mystery to me. BMW touts their bikes as being the best in the world, bar none. And they price them accordingly. I agree that most motorcyclists don't put that many miles on a bike before selling it, hence the shocks aren't an issue for the original buyer. But judging from the MOA milage figures, BMW riders are not "most motorcyclists". They pay considerable cash for high quality on every part on that bike. And in most cases, they get it. If Showa shocks were that bad to begin with, would they use them? And if they can be rebuilt to original specs, aren't you getting the ride that BMW designed the bike to have?
    I wouldn't mind trying a pair of Ohlins or Wilburs, but at $1000 to $1600 it's a pricey experiment. Plus, my 1100 is getting up there in years, and much newer bikes are plentiful. If I invest that much money in a set of premium shocks, I am wondering if anyone, in a few years, will need/want those used shocks for an equally old machine for which they probably didn't pay that much.
    Lastly, I now follow David Hough's (Proficient Motorcycling, Mastering the Ride) philosophy that being a safe, careful, and skilled rider is the only thing that really matters. I want to get back home without injury, every time I go out. It's a personal challenge to just ride well. Fast corners, scraping the pegs, top-tuned suspension, it's not why I ride. Adequate, BMW spec'd shocks, are probably fine for me.

many would say that you don't actually purchase top end shocks, you only rent them. even well used, because of quality, rebuild ability, and reputation, you can take them off, return your originals to the bike, and sell the better shocks for about 60% of cost.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    There is a shop in Ontario that actually does rebuild BMW OEM Showa shocks. It is called Brunos. Here is the link but I notice the shocks part of his new website is still in progress so call or email for details on your shocks I guess. http://www.brunos.us/index.html
    I spoke to Bruno at the end of last winter and he told me that he no longer rebuilds stock shocks. Maybe he's changed his policy since then.

I have a Wilbers on my K100 and Ohlins on the R1100. I prefer the Ohlins and wish I'd spent just a bit more for an Ohlins for the K. Of course the Ohlins were setup for my weight and ride, whereas the dealer who installed the Wilbers just told me to ride and make whatever adjustments I felt were necessary. One winter project will be to take the time to read how to and then setup the Wilber shock for a better ride next summer.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333