Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway "End-to-Enders"

Grew up there:)

I'm a Virginia native, long removed to the West Coast these days. BUT, I grew up in CulpepperVA., an hour from the BRP, MISS IT. My riding it was a long time ago, except a short 100 mile section in NC, after the Tennessee Rally, couple years back. My GSA1200 and I managed to see it again after a LONG absense. I may retire back there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another BRP:)

A nice day Along the highest part of the BRP, N.C.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Count me in !

I did the BRP End to End in September 2010. I left The Finger Lakes Rally on Monday and headed South to Virginia and camped the first night in at Big Meadows Campground. I'm surprised I didn't run into you Snookers. As I was going down the Parkway I kept running into many of the same people that I saw at the campground I was at the day before. I was at Willville in Virginia one night and I ran into the same guys at The Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, NC the next night. It was fun, the video you posted makes me want to go back next year and do it all over again. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. Don

http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I'm a Virginia native, long removed to the West Coast these days. BUT, I grew up in CulpepperVA., an hour from the BRP, MISS IT. My riding it was a long time ago, except a short 100 mile section in NC, after the Tennessee Rally, couple years back. My GSA1200 and I managed to see it again after a LONG absense. I may retire back there?
    Retire to somewhere near where the Parkway crosses the VA/NC line. You grew up in the expensive part of the state (compared to most of the state except Fairfax, Arlington, etc). You can live in the mountains for a fraction of what you spend where you are now.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Does this count?

End to middle and other end to middle?

I rode Skyline Drive and BRP south thru VA to the NC border in 2009 prior to the MOA Rally. Spent a few nights at Hungry Mother State Park and riding the area before Johnson City.

After the Rally, I went west to Arkansas before heading home. I rode BRP north from Cherokee thru NC into VA before heading off on other roads.

Beautiful ride, making plans to do north to south end to end in 2012.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Yep:)

I agree. I have three acres where I live now in CA., far from people and could have 30+ back there, same price Culpepper in the 60s was cheap, maybe not now. That bottom 100 miles of the BRP is to my liking. Randy

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I agree. I have three acres where I live now in CA., far from people and could have 30+ back there, same price Culpepper in the 60s was cheap, maybe not now. That bottom 100 miles of the BRP is to my liking. Randy
    The prices aren't so good near the San Francisco of the East (Asheville). Flower children of the 60s and their relatives have taken over most of the area and driven up prices. The area has become popular and relatively expensive. Some of the other mountain counties have been discovered by monied city folks and it has made some areas expensive. I live in a cheap undiscovered area.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Brp

Wife and I are planning to go Oct 27-30,2011. Any recommendations for where to say and rides. Thinking about staying at little Switzerland. Any help or advice would be appreciated
    Bill Ragon

Cherahola Skyway!

Hey Bill,

My favorite ride on the whole trip was The Cherahola Skyway. Love those long sweeping curves! I also spent a day riding around in Great Smokey Mountains National Park........it's spectacular. Don't forget to get some of that yummy BBQ! Have fun and be safe. Don

Quote Originally Posted by billragon View Post
    Wife and I are planning to go Oct 27-30,2011. Any recommendations for where to say and rides. Thinking about staying at little Switzerland. Any help or advice would be appreciated
    Bill Ragon
    Bill,

So far as Little Switzerland and places to stay here's what I know of:

Big Lynn Lodge: This is where we stayed for 2 nights and really liked it. They have suites, hotel rooms facing the parkway and mountains and cabins. Very friendly atmosphere. Your room/cabin rate includes breakfast and dinner for 2. Great dinner views. The slide show on our blog (link below in signature) has pictures from there in the posting "As Promised" in the section of "Fandy Gap to Little Switzerland" in the slide show.

Switzerland Inn & Diamondback Lodge (lodge is motorcycles only): We saw it and it looks nice. I have a friend who stayed there and really liked it.

Skyline Inn & Cavern Tavern: We drove past it and it looked cool. All room overlook the mountains and have balconies.

Enjoy the trip!
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by cehlbeck View Post
    Bill,

So far as Little Switzerland and places to stay here's what I know of:

Big Lynn Lodge: This is where we stayed for 2 nights and really liked it. They have suites, hotel rooms facing the parkway and mountains and cabins. Very friendly atmosphere. Your room/cabin rate includes breakfast and dinner for 2. Great dinner views. The slide show on our blog (link below in signature) has pictures from there in the posting "As Promised" in the section of "Fandy Gap to Little Switzerland" in the slide show.

Switzerland Inn & Diamondback Lodge (lodge is motorcycles only): We saw it and it looks nice. I have a friend who stayed there and really liked it.

Skyline Inn & Cavern Tavern: We drove past it and it looked cool. All room overlook the mountains and have balconies.

Enjoy the trip!
    This is where I like to stay in Little Switzerland Its a little place called the Alpine Inn
    It is just about a 1/2 mile from the Switzerland Inn down 226A. Small, quiet, quaint and run by a great couple. Views as good as the big Inn without all the turmoil and hustle of the bigger Inn and they make a great breakfast in the morning. I will wander up the Switzerland Inn for dinner as they have a great 5 star restaurant there (the roasted Duck is awesome!), but I always stay the Alpine Inn and just eat at the Switzerland Inn.

RM.

Before we built, we used to stay in Blowing Rock. A bit further north than Little Switzerland though. It's been 8 years since we stayed in a hotel / motel along the BRP. We've covered it all, but in segments.