Thread: Amalfi Coast (or Naples) October...rental options?

Amalfi Coast (or Naples) October...rental options?

Planning 10 day trip to Italy in early October with my son....would ideally like to spend some time in Rome and 5-7 days in Amalfi coast area with a couple of bikes.. I can find bike rental places in Rome, but not so much in Naples or Amalfi area.
    Also might consider renting in Rome/Naples/Amalfi and dropping off on Adriatic side or maybe even Sicily, if the dropoff charges are not too steep.

Any advice/ideas or positive feedback on rental options

Quote Originally Posted by sjcdal View Post
    Planning 10 day trip to Italy in early October with my son....would ideally like to spend some time in Rome and 5-7 days in Amalfi coast area with a couple of bikes.. I can find bike rental places in Rome, but not so much in Naples or Amalfi area.
    Also might consider renting in Rome/Naples/Amalfi and dropping off on Adriatic side or maybe even Sicily, if the dropoff charges are not too steep.

Any advice/ideas or positive feedback on rental options
    Formia and Gaeta

Are much less visited by the tourists, but the lodging, food and wine are wonderfully inexpensive. What a wonderful few days I spent there.....after work, that is.

Would I drive in Italy? Oh, heck no.......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Having "been there" it's kinda funny to post in "off the beaten path" for Amalfi,Italy?
    I mean well here but just remembering the tour buses parked all over the place & hordes of people in a beautiful place that's very well "discovered"...
    One of the best meals we had in all of Italy! Trattoria on the left, as you walk uphill past the church. Enjoy
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    One way rentals are not common. Most rental places are independent, many are new bike dealers that have a small fleet of bikes for hire. So the cost of them driving miles to retrieve them is costly, even if they have the manpower to do so.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Having "been there" it's kinda funny to post in "off the beaten path" for Amalfi,Italy?
    I mean well here but just remembering the tour buses parked all over the place & hordes of people in a beautiful place that's very well "discovered"...
    One of the best meals we had in all of Italy! Trattoria on the left, as you walk uphill past the church. Enjoy

I have been there once as a side trip from a cruise I took with my very young kids. I agree it isn't off the beaten path, but I couldn't really find a more appropriate forum. I am hoping that October will see the whole coast less overrun by those pesky tourists (I of course am never a tourist...just a displaced local). We are probably going to stay in one of the smaller towns along the coast to further avoid the high tourist area. Exploring some of the off-the-coast towns is another reason I would prefer a bike vs. scooter.

I still have not found anyplace outside of Rome to rent a motorcycle in southern Italy. This place http://www.amalfibikerental.com/ has all of ONE 600cc bike, the rest are scooters.

We were there in Oct. & was a very busy place. Hotel reservations recc. etc.! Neat place & extremely scenic spot. I was just poking fun with the snarky "off the beaten path" comment. Actually, no other "best place" on this forum for that stuff? In Italy car rentals are a "more guarded" thing as thefts are common-maybe that carries over to MC's too? My VISA CDW doesn't cover rental auto theft there.
    FWIW, my fave part of Italy is the Dolomite region and that area is a MC riders delight!

Seriously, a scooter would take you as fast as you can ride along that Amalfi coast. Inland, I still see a scoot as a fun ride.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.