Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ride of the Century?

Unhappy Ride of the Century?

I was riding home from the BMWMOA BBQ in Ballwin, MO this Saturday when I encountered what appeared to be close to 200 sportbikes coming the other way on the STL outerbelt (270). I realized that these guys/gals were taking up all 5 lanes in that stretch with many doing stand up wheelies, tank sit wheelies.... There was even a pick up truck amidst the organized mayhem videotaping [yes, there were idiots (Darwin Award Nominees if you prefer)standing in the back of the truck at freeway speeds and beyond recording this stuff.] I read about it in the paper today and noticed that many of the law enforcement agencies in our city had been flooded with calls of hooliganism on the streets and utter lawlessness, but they did not issue any violations throughout the weekend.

Here is a link to some you tube video of these guys from last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEWcaNHuv8U and from what I saw, heard, and read it was even larger this year.

At least one guy died trying to retrieve a back pack from the middle of the freeway. Any LEOs out there? What can we do about these goons? They are dumb enough to post their antics online.

BTW - I am very pro sportbike. I love a good wheelie, but there is a time and place. The guys that I saw were very good at what they were doing, but should choose to do their stunts on deserted stretches of road where they won't injure anyone but themselves. That is what I do when I choose to break speed laws in twisty stretches.

Anyone else happen upon these riders?

It's all fun till the horrific crash/wreck and all the maimed, mangled, and dead happen.

Dale Rudolph
    What a bunch of idiots. Would I feel sorry for anyone killed? Not for a second.
    It's stupidity like this that give all motorcyclists a bad name. If this is something
    they do every year, where are the police? They could pay a couple of teachers
    a full years salary with the fines they would get from this.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/09/...ouis-highways/

Imagine my relief to find out it wasn't BMWs going to the Open House!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    What a bunch of idiots. Would I feel sorry for anyone killed? Not for a second.
    It's stupidity like this that give all motorcyclists a bad name. If this is something
    they do every year, where are the police? They could pay a couple of teachers
    a full years salary with the fines they would get from this.

It is yearly from what I've seen on YouTube and could be the next wave of taxation. If I were a LEO, I'd have called ahead and shut down the entire freeway. I know that would inconvenience some motorists who were uninvolved, but using their own video.....Ticket them all.

Dale Rudolph
    There must be a drag strip or racetrack somewhere in the St. Louis area that
    could put on a stunt riding show once a year. Have the riders sign a release.
    I'm sure plenty of people would pay to see a show like that.
    After reading my responce to this tread again, I guess it shows how people
    change as they get older, I did a couple of drag races in the streets late at night
    back in the 60's. There must have been some older people at that time who
    thought I was one of those Idiots.

Lots of skin ready for road rash. Cool on dudes but the girls might want to think twice about it (if they could of course).
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

bobh41

Why?

Why are they wearing helmets?

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsonderman View Post
    it is yearly from what i've seen on youtube and could be the next wave of taxation. If i were a leo, i'd have called ahead and shut down the entire freeway. I know that would inconvenience some motorists who were uninvolved, but using their own video.....ticket them all.
    +100
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by DRUDOLPH148006 View Post
    There must be a drag strip or racetrack somewhere in the St. Louis area that could put on a stunt riding show once a year. Have the riders sign a release.
    you can't get insurance for an event like this, afaik.

I'm sure plenty of people would pay to see a show like that.
    they already do, they pay for cable TV to see Stealthriders.

Love the event or hate it, its all because of social media is getting people involved and excited about something. Social media is similar to Peter Pan, he is climbing through your windows ( unless you have a MAC ) and snatching your people up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

drew3714

Not as good as they thought they were.

The report says there were several accidents, and they had to close 270 for a while to airlift injured riders to the hospitals. So I guess they weren't as good as they thought.

Update: just watched the video, read the comments. There's teenager dumb, and then there's full on stupid. This is 100% pure, unadulterated, full on stupid. I'm sorry for the families that have to identify them at the hospital, hopefully they're organ donors.
    Last edited by drew3714; 09-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.

I remember when I had my first beer.
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Who pays the helicopter flight time,and med bills when all is said and done...
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Who pays the helicopter flight time,and med bills when all is said and done...

Insurance vs the hospital system doing it as a charity case / tax deduction.

In Pennsylvania there s a EMS / Trauma Act that allows the health care provider to submit a claim for immediate reimbursement.........no need for them to wait months as they may do with Medicare.

If you have your insurance(s) combined to save money and since they are attached to other belongings / property the health care business could seize assets if coverage could not be received. *I was told that at a medical meeting and very off the record. This may explain the big push to combine your coverage into a nice package ?????????? Not for you but to lower the insurance company risk, and you thought you could save money ..... you can, till something very bad happens. Please check with your insurance comapny on what if you exceed your limits, think long term hospitalization to rehab to long term care !!!! If you are young and have nothing well that is differant...... heck they may even qualify for help.

What is tough are the Life Flight guidelines. For example if you fall anymore than 18 feet in height, any head injury, and any motorcycle accident etc etc. you can get flown. A friend of mine dumped his motorcycle trying to avoid an animal, he was shaken by the incident, EMS showed up and he was flown to the Trauma Center and discharged within the golden hour with a sprained ankle and about 30 grand in Emergency Services to look forward to. He never hit the dog nor did much damage to his motorcycle. Maybe if he wasn't upset he could have picked the bike up and rode off.

Society may say they can't afford this luxury but the health care system here went from a 2 helicopter based system to a 7 since the Act was passed so someone has money to pay for it.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance