Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Honk at Animals?

Honk at Animals?

My wife and get a kick out of blowing the horn at animals on our trips. OK, I am the one technically pushing the button but she plays along. Sounds quite silly and childish but sometimes it is a hoot. Sheep most times will run away as a herd. Chickens by the road side freak out quite nicely. Goats act like sheep and run away in a herd. Have yet to run across fainting goats but that would be awesome. Horses on rare occasions buck or scare. Cows hardly pick up their heads and maybe one will look. On one occasion we were heading towards a herd directly before we hit a 90 degree curve. One of the cows freaked with us coming at him and started a mini stampede. All of this is quite silly but it makes us laugh and no real animals were hurt while making this film. Today we startled a large herd of sheep that ran away quickly which of course made us quite happy. It always makes me laugh and I asked my wife "do you think anyone else does this"? So are we alone in this guilty pleasure or are there other sickos out there participating in this future PETA picketed activity?
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

I occasionally get held up by a line of geese crossing the road. They pretty much ignore my horn, but sometimes one of them will honk back at me.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Talking

And I thaught we were the only insane ones! Me and the girfriend do it all the time! W honk and wave just like we would to our friends!!LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Quanto12 View Post
    And I thaught we were the only insane ones! Me and the girfriend do it all the time! W honk and wave just like we would to our friends!!LOL.
    Do any wave back ?
    2004 BMW 1150RT
    Secretary--Chicago Region BMW Owners Association.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

It's very cheap entertainment!

Cattle caller horn on the Vstrom. Riding by a pasture of cows, every last one of them will look at you. It has spooked more than a few calfs too -- turning around looking for mama.

A week ago in Cape Breton on the Salty Fog Rally, the rest of the group was avoiding a small pack of dogs -- one blast on the horn sent them all back to the side of the road.

And it brought a smile to every kid waiting on the school bus and waving to us as we rode past.

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

iscream-stop
    I have always done it. It always makes me smile when they look up at you. I figure it can not be any worse than a group of Harleys going by.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    Do any wave back ?
    No just a funny face on them!!! Damn, I think they're laughing at us!!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    My wife and get a kick out of blowing the horn at animals on our trips. OK, I am the one technically pushing the button but she plays along. Sounds quite silly and childish but sometimes it is a hoot. Sheep most times will run away as a herd. Chickens by the road side freak out quite nicely. Goats act like sheep and run away in a herd. Have yet to run across fainting goats but that would be awesome. Horses on rare occasions buck or scare. Cows hardly pick up their heads and maybe one will look. On one occasion we were heading towards a herd directly before we hit a 90 degree curve. One of the cows freaked with us coming at him and started a mini stampede. All of this is quite silly but it makes us laugh and no real animals were hurt while making this film. Today we startled a large herd of sheep that ran away quickly which of course made us quite happy. It always makes me laugh and I asked my wife "do you think anyone else does this"? So are we alone in this guilty pleasure or are there other sickos out there participating in this future PETA picketed activity?
    You are not alone out there!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Talking

Hmmm. Any ranchers out there? I wonder if they might feel that needlessly stirring up a herd of livestock might be a bad thing.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

From MARS
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Hmmm. Any ranchers out there? I wonder if they might feel that needlessly stirring up a herd of livestock might be a bad thing.
    I'm not a rancher, but live amongst them, and I can tell you that they take a dim view of anything that causes the cattle to needlessly burn calories. Ranchers make their money on the difference between the weight of the cattle at purchase and their sale. Anything that that takes away from that weight gain is bad.

Honking at grazing cattle is not only childish, but does nothing to promote our sport.

Tom

I have never done that to any animals but I love honking the horn when I pass a golf course when a golfer is about to swing!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Talking Guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    I have never done that to any animals but I love honking the horn when I pass a golf course when a golfer is about to swing!
    I'll do the same thing!! This winter I'm adding a Stebel Nautilus to the RT. The golfers will LOVE that!

Guess we're the "bad boys" of the Beemer world.. 1%'ers. HAHA
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Just to move the deer about to cross, it tends to work most of the time and they head back in the direction that they came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'll do the same thing!! This winter I'm adding a Stebel Nautilus to the RT. The golfers will LOVE that!

Guess we're the "bad boys" of the Beemer world.. 1%'ers. HAHA
    I'm a golfer and will agree that, unlike livestock, scaring the "herd" and burning off a few calories is a good thing.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    I tried to honk a large herd of goats off a narrow ranch road recently. The rancher was not in sight, but the three Great Pyrenees herd watchers were not pleased with me driving thru the middle and ruining all their work. One gave chase and I had to get on down the road.

I honk at golfers at the driving range and goats a lot rarely at deer as they are already insane and do not need any help. Our local free ranging cattle couldn't give a rats tail about honking, they will not moooo-ve out of the way until you almost bump them off the road. Now, the little ones will go crazy at moments notice...without a honk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henzilla; 09-19-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: add some more...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait