Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pick your feet up!

Pick your feet up!

If your feet aren't on the pegs you are not in control.

Yup, that's all it takes........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

You must have heard me last weekend during my MSF class. For some reason, this was a big issue this week.

Then there were those who wanted to use the Fred Flintstone brakes to stop. Sheesh! It was a tough class!

Equally important is to be on the BALLS of your feet, not hooked at the heel. The exception being the cruiser frame, where the handling is so bad it really doesn't matter where your foot is!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    If your feet aren't on the pegs you are not in control.
    "Feet on the pegs!" is what I used to holler at my younger son when he got started on his PW50.

ian

I've commented on this when observing bikes in the area SO many times that now my wife (a non-rider) spots these people frequently and says something akin to..."there's another painful lesson coming..."

Not to be TOO judgemental, but the day I can't get my feet up on the pegs immediately from a stop is the day just before I quit riding. LOL

Bill Johnston

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    I make similar comments to my MSF students. The bike, any bike, is easier to balance and control when your feet are on the pegs. Many riders think dangling their legs out there will help them, but the weight of your legs off the center of the bike actually disrupt balance more than sustain it. But also, I bet many riders that dangle their feet are also looking down just in front of the bike, which also hinders balance and control.

Dragging your feet is also a balance deterent, and is a good way to ruin your boots and possibly deflect a foot underneath the bike.

Look out well ahead, get your feet on the pegs, develop good throttle/clutch control and you should be able to ride at a walking pace.
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

A metropolitan motorcycle police department here puts on several motorcycle riding classes every year.. They are good classes and those moto-cops sure can ride those beast.

The last time i went, the foot on the pegs was a big deal... they kept repeating it over and over... also telling people not to break with there legs... and sure enough on one of the courses, the guy right in front of me on his Goldwing, while going through the cones, tries to put his leg out to stop the bike and broke it!... shut every thing down until they carted him to the hospital... eye opener...

Pete in OKC,OK
    Ich Fahre Nicht Zu Schnell, Ich Fliege Nur Niedrig
    Oklahoma Adventure Trail

My favorite is the cruiser goof at walking speeds in a plaza parking lot with his feet stuck out forward on those stupid "highway pegs". I half hope that he stabs the front brake to maybe learn a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Not to be TOO judgemental, but the day I can't get my feet up on the pegs immediately from a stop is the day just before I quit riding. LOL

Well, if you have a Russell seat, there is a minor delay in getting the feet up on the pegs. First the bike begins to move, then the a** slides back a couple of inches, then the feet come onto the pegs. I might call it the "Russell A**-Shift." A little arthritis in the hip joints slows it even a little more.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Well, if you have a Russell seat, there is a minor delay in getting the feet up on the pegs. First the bike begins to move, then the a** slides back a couple of inches, then the feet come onto the pegs. I might call it the "Russell A**-Shift." A little arthritis in the hip joints slows it even a little more.
    Perhaps that's why I have a Rick Mayer seat on my R11S! But I hear what you're sayin'!!!
    Bill Johnston

iscream-stop

Way out of control.

followed a chopper guy a couple months back.He rode two blocks with both feet skimming along the road.I was 390 miles into a 400 mile ride and not happy having to follow this goofy riding style.Ed
    Ed Baker

Quote Originally Posted by David Whittle View Post

Way out of control.
    Yup.

The question is did he regain control or crash.

That is the new MOTO GP corner entry style. They kick the inside leg way out to help weight transfer & initiate the turn, then pull it back onto the peg.
    John.