Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rally Review Committee - Board Action Item

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    cool. but let's center these events more on the types of riding we do.... and don't forget the sport tourers! Drag racers, too....

the GS Giant thing was a pattern that can be applied to all kinds of riding. The goal is for people to meet each other and have fun riding together.

ian
    Have to agree with Visian on this one. While I do not ride a GS, do not wish to own a GS and do not have urges to leave paved roads while on two wheels, I did pitch my tent in Bloomsburg adjacent to the infield where the GS Giant shenanigans were taking place.

Never saw such a bunch of dedicated riders having so much competitive fun in such heat. Seems an event worth keeping in our future rally matrix.

For us 'cleaner' riders, perhaps something will be thought of to mimic the GS comraderie.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 09-13-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    That's exactly what I proposed in the 'Rally Forum', last April, the direction of another event such as the S1000RR..being the fact of being so close to Pocono Downs Raceway, Long Pond, Pa...this past summer... I guess I didn't make a big enough fuss such as I did for not having enough local Food Vendors represented..thus a Food Vendor Committee was formed..
    Hi Clay -
    It takes more than making a fuss. If you really want to see something at a national rally, then *YOU* need to come up with a plan. That's what Ian did, and the results were amazing.

I think you will find that we are always open to ideas, but we don't have your vision - nor your passion - for your concept.

So start thinking about it and put together a proposal. Outline your idea, how to make it happen, how you would market it to generate enthusiasm, come up with the costs and revenue stream, what kind on space would you require on the actual rally site itself, etc etc etc.

And then, if you are serious about your concept, you need to bring it directly to the board. I, for one, would love to hear what you come up with.

Thanks
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

4 years and running, GS:)

We've got dedicated GSers, who love to play adventure dirt riding skills! It has grown into a very active group of riders and rally attendees, looking for a annual event to share comraderie like no other time of year. I hope the GS(National Rally) events continue on and on and other BMW model specific can do the same, as volunteers suggest and step up to the plate. Its a volunteer rally, made from members stepping UP. Kudo's to Visian, making the GS Phenom this year a success and new level achieved. Well done. Thanks to all my GS Rider friends, showing up, willing to go the distance at the rally track and beyond. Without guys/gals like you yearning for the real BIG gusto in life, where'd we be!!!GO GS. Randy"Polarbear"Owens

I had dinner with Josh Farnsworth last night (winner of the GS Giant). He has taken the lead in forming a GS charter club and it is our hope to continue what Ian has started. Our vision is to become active and constructive members of the MOA and promote the overall GS adventure. Our goal, once the club is officially launched, is to host regional events, training, etc. and work with the MOA to grow GSG rally competition.

Look for our future presentations to the BOD!

If the rally is held somewhere near a track, why not try to invite one of the superbike schools to give a track class, kind of associated with us, but not part of... Then, you get those S1000RR riders involved with the rest.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    If the rally is held somewhere near a track, why not try to invite one of the superbike schools to give a track class, kind of associated with us, but not part of... Then, you get those S1000RR riders involved with the rest.
    Track days are a great idea but what about... a Motorcycle Gymhkana?

Set the track up in a parking lot area at the rally. Hold several sessions. Bike classes can be established to put like bikes together so people can compare times and do a bit of bragging. It keeps the event on site. Minimal additional expense. Provides entertainment for observers and participants. This can appeal to the avid sport rider, militant ATGATT MSF proponent, young or old because it combines a timed competition with a low speed track that requires both great street riding skills and the ability to pick the best racing line for the track layout.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

results of meeting?

What was the outcome of the meeting held to review future rally direction?

We are still in the middle of the discussions. This week on Thursday will be our fourth conference call on this topic. We hope to have some sort of a report at the board meeting next week, but in no means will we be finished with our discussions. There are some good things coming out of this though! I am optimistic with our direction.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post

Set the track up in a parking lot area at the rally. Hold several sessions. Bike classes can be established to put like bikes together so people can compare times and do a bit of bragging. It keeps the event on site. Minimal additional expense. Provides entertainment for observers and participants. This can appeal to the avid sport rider, militant ATGATT MSF proponent, young or old because it combines a timed competition with a low speed track that requires both great street riding skills and the ability to pick the best racing line for the track layout.
    If anyone is interested in helping put this event on, please PM me with your contact info. Now, to feed your curiousity...

I can say "yes" and "yes" to both of those ideas

Future Rallies

I, for one, am very happy that the board is responsive to the membership. Knowing many of the BOD quite well, I can assure everyone that they, as a whole, are a group of very hard working, great people.
    Unfortunately, at the last few rallies, I've not been able to partake of many wonderful events, { the WWII encampments come readily to mind.} being ensconced in my personal 3rd circle of hell. AKA: THE BEER GARDEN. { Fortunately, the "germans" like beer , so they showed up, and brought their machine guns too!}
    That having been said, these rallies are phenomenally better and more varied in content than in the past. Remember Durango guys?
    My rally consists of old/new friends, Airhead Central for an hour or two each day, and the fun/trouble I can get into riding to and from the rally.
    So...regardless of my low participation, from what I see, it is a robust, wonderful time. Can it be made better? Sure. But enjoy what we've got too. It's pretty darn good.
    See you in Sedalia.
    Jim Faucher
    Beer Chair

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post

Excellent suggestion John.

On site, low cost, everyone can participate.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Excellent suggestion John.

On site, low cost, everyone can participate.
    i found something earlier this week that is premature to talk about but would make for the motogymkhana from HELL! watch this space...