Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rally Review Committee - Board Action Item

Rally Review Committee - Board Action Item

Friends -
    This week, an ad hoc committee meets in a conference call to discuss the possible restructuring of our rally process, planning, and goals. The committee is comprised of board members, our Executive Director Ray Zimmerman, and a future rally chairman. This will be a STRATEGIC PLANNING session. We will not be discussing the nuts and bolts about future rallies.

Below is a snippet of our discussion points for our first meeting. This will probably morph, grow, and change as we work through some of these line items. The goal of this committee is to submit a report to the full board at the October board meeting, and possibly walk away with some actionable items.

Points of discussion should include, but not be limited to:

--->What is the Purpose of the Rally?
    --->What are the Goals of the Rally?
    --->Date Selection
    ------>Should we expand upon the current dates we focus on?
    --->GS Giant
    ------> Where should we go with the GS Giant concept.
    --->Budget & expense guidelines
    ------>Restructure how we do it now?
    ------>Define - or Redefine - spending authority
    --->Rally Budget Model
    ------>What are the top goals for the rally?
    ------>How much a party for members and how much marketing?
    ------>What should we spend money on, and what to skip?
    ------>How to reduce costs? (What to reduce or eliminate.)
    ----------->a. Identify non-core expenses (those not aligned with rally goals).
    ----------->b. What expenses only benefit a very few, or are a poor bang for the buck?
    ----------->c. Other?
    ------>Admission fee: do we raise it and how much?
    --->Rotating through past rally sites

If you have additional suggestions for discussion points at the strategic-planning level, please reach out directly to me at: SUE'S EMAIL ADDRESS. As the committee chair, I will integrate your thoughts into the discussion as well.

thank you.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Bravo!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Hard to argue

I am worried. Trying to please everybody results in pleasing no one. I think having clear goals are a good thing. However, I would like to know what the answers to those questions are as things stand now? How did the past rally compare to the goals and intensions as they stood before the rally?

I have no axe to grind. I am familar with volunteer organizations and how they tend to self destruct with unrealistic goals and purposes. Is the goal to make money? Push the brand? Push a certain model (factory bringing only one demo model??)

Is the Rally for current owners or future owners? What is the definition of success? Number of people coming to the rally? Number of new people? Number of returning people? Number of vendors that come? Number of volunteers? Number of kids, women, old people, young people, married people, single people, gay people? Education? Training? Good deals? Value?

Questions like, "most bang for the buck", "expenses that only benefit a few" are very tricky concepts that can be pushed or pulled in any direction you want. It is very similar to the concept of marketing itself. On an budget basis, people tend to want a return on investment. IE By spending X, how much do we get in return? That does not easily translate to success if your are targeting certain goals that have no real return in terms of money. Kids come to mind.

I have seen organizations try to run an event to "make money", only to burn out all the volunteers simply because they did not "make money" However the event was extremely "successful/popular" which lead to big growth for the organization. The event was abandoned because they did not "make money" and eventually the organization withered away. Their mistake was not correctly defining success. Those that worked long days as volunteers only to be told the event was a failure. I am not suggesting that the organization lose money. Only recognize that having an event make money is different from having money spent only on areas that have a return of biggest bang for the buck. We are talking about BMW owners right? Quality and focus on value for areas and interest one can only find at a BMW rally etc should win out over cost jusifying games.

I don't know that any one area is key. It takes all of the little things added together. This was my second rally. I had a better time at this one than the last. However the reason for that was mainly me. Can I make the next one better? I hope so and I plan to.

Good Luck

It looks like a good start Sue. Thank you for your efforts in this area!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    --->GS Giant
    Sue - this is a nuts and bolts question. The GS Giant event was a tactic, a way to implement a socially-based marketing strategy.

It was also a demonstration of an integrated marketing campaign strategy, aligning multiple forms of media communications to achieve a common goal.

And part of a larger strategy: effective marketing of the MOA.

Here are some strategic questions we might ask:

- Are we effectively marketing our rally?
    - Can our community help strengthen our rally marketing?
    - Can we work our rally and community together and be more effective in creating and retaining members?
    - How can the rally help our vendor partners grow their businesses?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Sue - this is a nuts and bolts question. The GS Giant event was a tactic, a way to implement a socially-based marketing strategy.
    It was included because it's possible that events like the GS Giant (or possible S1000RR events, etc) may change some of the basic requirements that we should consider in the future, for broad-ranged rally planning.

So far I have received several private messages with some excellent feedback. Thanks everyone!
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Vendors

I was impressed by the vendors. All of the vendors I talked to had very knowledgeable people working the rally. I realized i had ridden with a lot of them at various rallys around the US. How they functioned so well in that heat was amazing. I am old [66] but am used to the heat; but I was impressed at how well the volunteers worked to help people cope who were in need of some help in surviving. I hope the next rally will do more for the vendors.

I will be at the next BMWMOA as a volunteer, again. I enjoyed the people I worked with at the stage set up and in the beer garden. I hope I am given a job which will be tailored to help the vendors have an easier time of it; but will accept any role the committee assigns me.

If any vendors are reading this...thank you for hanging in there during adverse conditions. You did an amazing job.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    I have two suggestions for the up coming rallies.
    1 Have it in downtown Chicago in January.
    Plenty of hotel rooms and it will not be too hot. ( not serious)
    2 along with mugs, patches, pins and rally books, pass out cheese to go with the wines (whines).
    Personally, I think the rallies have been great and I enjoyed all I went to.
    I was packed and actually on the bike this time when I got a phone call about a death of a close friend's mom and had to change my plans.
    I will be at Sedalia and will not complain if it is a little too warm. I am always a volunteer as well.
    GOOD JOB organizers!!!
    Last edited by lilredroadster; 09-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by lilredroadster View Post
    I have two suggestions for the up coming rallies.
    1 Have it in downtown Chicago in January.
    Plenty of hotel rooms and it will not be too hot. ( not serious)
    2 along with mugs, patches, pins and rally books, pass out cheese to go with the wines (whines).
    Personally, I think the rallies have been great and I enjoyed all I went to.
    I was packed and actually on the bike this time when I got a phone call about a death of a close friend's mom and had to change my plans.
    I will be at Sedalia and will not complain if it is a little to warm. I am always a volunteer as well.
    GOOD JOB organizers!!!
    Obviosly a far left winger!!!
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

One thing for sure is that those who were dissatisfied have not chosen to keep their issues to themselves! Lots of ideas have been presented on the forum for ad hoc consideration.

Clay
    It was included because it's possible that events like the GS Giant (or possible S1000RR events, etc) may change some of the basic requirements that we should consider in the future, for broad-ranged rally planning.

So far I have received several private messages with some excellent feedback. Thanks everyone!
    That's exactly what I proposed in the 'Rally Forum', last April, the direction of another event such as the S1000RR..being the fact of being so close to Pocono Downs Raceway, Long Pond, Pa...this past summer... I guess I didn't make a big enough fuss such as I did for not having enough local Food Vendors represented..thus a Food Vendor Committee was formed..

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    That's exactly what I proposed in the 'Rally Forum', last April, the direction of another event such as the S1000RR..being the fact of being so close to Pocono Downs Raceway, Long Pond, Pa...this past summer... I guess I didn't make a big enough fuss such as I did for not having enough local Food Vendors represented..thus a Food Vendor Committee was formed..
    next time, volunteer to run the S1000RR event and amazingly enough, it will happen.

Friends -
    This week, an ad hoc committee meets in a conference call to discuss the possible restructuring of our rally process, planning, and goals. The committee is comprised of board members, our Executive Director Ray Zimmerman, and a future rally chairman. This will be a STRATEGIC PLANNING session. We will not be discussing the nuts and bolts about future rallies.

Below is a snippet of our discussion points for our first meeting. This will probably morph, grow, and change as we work through some of these line items. The goal of this committee is to submit a report to the full board at the October board meeting, and possibly walk away with some actionable items.

Points of discussion should include, but not be limited to:

--->What is the Purpose of the Rally?
    --->What are the Goals of the Rally?
    --->Date Selection
    ------>Should we expand upon the current dates we focus on?
    --->GS Giant
    --->Budget & expense guidelines
    ------>Restructure how we do it now?
    ------>Define - or Redefine - spending authority
    --->Rally Budget Model
    ------>What are the top goals for the rally?
    ------>How much a party for members and how much marketing?
    ------>What should we spend money on, and what to skip?
    ------>How to reduce costs? (What to reduce or eliminate.)
    ----------->a. Identify non-core expenses (those not aligned with rally goals).
    ----------->b. What expenses only benefit a very few, or are a poor bang for the buck?
    ----------->c. Other?
    ------>Admission fee: do we raise it and how much?
    --->Rotating through past rally sites

If you have additional suggestions for discussion points at the strategic-planning level, please reach out directly to me at: SUE'S EMAIL ADDRESS. As the committee chair, I will integrate your thoughts into the discussion as well.

thank you.
    Very interesting hmmm
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    A few folks have suggested specific events based around the genre of motorcycles currently being sold by BMW. There is an initial plan for an event like Visian's GS Giant, but focused for the "sportier, less dirtier" BMWMOA members.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaD View Post
    A few folks have suggested specific events based around the genre of motorcycles currently being sold by BMW. There is an initial plan for an event like Visian's GS Giant, but focused for the "sportier, less dirtier" BMWMOA members.
    cool. but let's center these events more on the types of riding we do.... and don't forget the sport tourers! Drag racers, too....

the GS Giant thing was a pattern that can be applied to all kinds of riding. The goal is for people to meet each other and have fun riding together.

ian