Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kisan modulator and Kazoo county sheriff

Modulator regulations

I always carry a copy of the attached in my motorcycles with headlight modulators. It is a PDF file with the complete U.S. and Canadian federal regulations. That way I can show an officer the regs without arguing at all. If he/she chooses to ignore the regs I can turn my headlight to low beam. But at least he/she would have seen the regs and, perhaps, accepted them. Indeed, he/she would be welcome to keep my copy.

That said, I have never been stopped.

If you want to print out the regs, be my guest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    I always carry a copy of the attached in my motorcycles with headlight modulators. It is a PDF file with the complete U.S. and Canadian federal regulations. That way I can show an officer the regs without arguing at all. If he/she chooses to ignore the regs I can turn my headlight to low beam. But at least he/she would have seen the regs and, perhaps, accepted them. Indeed, he/she would be welcome to keep my copy.

That said, I have never been stopped.

If you want to print out the regs, be my guest.
    Likewise, I took the summary of Federal Regs that comes with the Kisan kit and laminated it - it's always with me (in a compartment under my Sargent seats) and can be shown if stopped. Having ridden in over 25 states while in use, no issues when having passed LEO's. However, I use this tool judiciously - in other words, only in heavy traffic - not 24/7.

Makes no sense to get motorists so acclimated to it that, like our headlamps that are now mimiced by everyone's daytime running lights, it becomes 'commonplace' and ignored.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Kevin' point is a good one about not overusing a modulator.

But you shouldn't worry about taking a little time to go to court over a dispute on what the law means either. A judge will be happy to teach the LEO whose training was inadequate. I had the opportunity to do this once when a VA kiddie (basically a young snot with a bad attitude not typical of folks I know in that business) cited me for a device he called a radar detector when in fact it is a scanner specifically exempted by the same VA statute that makes detectors illegal there. His failure to learn the law, believe what I told him, or consult a more experienced colleague on his radio or his statute book caused him a red faced episode in the courtroom that I suspect he'll remember after I explained the facts to the judge. To me, that's a fair exchange for wasting my time with his ignorance.
    I've had enough friends in various aspects of law enforcment that I know how easy it is to develop a very cynical approach but that's why we've got courts.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    I must say, and have many times before that i find a headlight modulator to be the most annoying thing (only after loud pipes) that i have ever seen on a motorcycle. Watching them come down the road towards me raises my blood pressure. But too each his own.
    I'm not a fan either, but maybe not as annoyed as you are. Wrong color headlights can be annoying too. I don't like the idea of annoying other drivers--maybe that's what triggered the officer to pull Tom over. I'd much rather put the money towards MotoLights to increase conspicuousness.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

I wrote this email to the Sheriff,
    Folks, any time you need to communicate something to any agency of the government in correspondence regarding a legal issue, don't even consider email.

ALWAYS use the U.S. Postal Service.
    ALWAYS obtain proof of delivery signature required.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

proof read

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    That's a good letter, Tom: clear, direct, polite.
    No it is not. It is so full of typos and grammatical errors that I would dismiss it immediately.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    No it is not. It is so full of typos and grammatical errors that I would dismiss it immediately.
    Perhaps, Jerry, but my experience with law enforcement and elected officials (decades of both criminal defense and local government law practice) informs me that these recipients are not English teachers. Yes, one must meet a minimal level of coherence to communicate, and the OP's letter did. One does not need to tender a Ph.D thesis.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Agreed. He's trying to communicate with a police officer. I was one and still work with them on a daily basis. Trust me when I tell you they are not spelling police, grammer police or any thing close to someone that might discard an email because of the way it's written.

As an email to the Sheriff, it's fine and gets the message across. However, as noted, emails may get some attention but paper someone had to sign for gets far more attention.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    I'm not a fan either, but maybe not as annoyed as you are. Wrong color headlights can be annoying too. I don't like the idea of annoying other drivers--maybe that's what triggered the officer to pull Tom over. I'd much rather put the money towards MotoLights to increase conspicuousness.
    I also find them Quite annoying. I use Moto lights to form a triangle for safer riding.
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    In my opinion that's the best you can do on the highway.

Teaching LEO's the letter of the law is a really bad plan.
    I'm not 100% sure all my lighting is legal but I'm ready to cut wires or unplug stuff on the side of the road to avoid a ticket.

Hope you didn't get a ticket.
    As a retired LEO after 30 years I will confirm that "teaching LEO's the letter of the law" or aguing your case on the side of the road is a very bad idea. The court is the provided venue for that. And if you were cited, the law is obviously on your side on this one. And it's in a public forum if the lesson is taught there.
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I use a headlight modulator on my R1200RT and R75/5. I have them on most of the time in daylight. I turn them off when following a car closely or when stopped at a stop sign or stop light behind another vehicle. So I mainly use them to show approaching cars and cars waiting at intersections or turning left that I am on the roadway.

I also have Motolights on my R1200RT. They are off most of the time. When I feel I may be in a dangerous situation, however, I turn them on as well as have the modulator on. I also wear a white full-face helmet (http://www.bmwdean.com/white-helmets.htm) and retroreflective jackets or vests. I do not know what else I can to be visible to approaching cars or cars at intersections. I have not tried waving my arms vigorously.
    Jeff Dean − Tucson, Arizona − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/2014-r1200rt.htm − MSF Chief Instructor (1994)
    Friend of the Marque (1999) − Prof. Gerhard Knochlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
    2014 & 2007 R1200RTs, R60/2s, R67/3, R51/3 ↔ 1949 R24

I got this answer

Thomas,

Your question was the first one I have had on the topic. I researched your question with the Michigan State Police website. To answer your question I have copied the information from the site:

Motorcycle Headlamp Modulators

It has come to the attention of the Traffic Services Section that some motorcycle operators have been stopped and ticketed for having installed headlamp modulators. A modulator causes the headlamp to flicker at a set rate and intensity.

The tickets have been improperly written under MCL 257.698(5), which states The use or possession of flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights of any color is prohibited except as otherwise provided by law Motorcycle headlamp modulators are otherwise provided by law under MCL 257.698(4), which states in part Unless both covered and unlit, a vehicleshall not be equipped with a lampunless expressly required or permitted by this chapter or that meets the standards prescribed in 49 C.F.R. 571.108. Motorcycle headlamp modulators are allowed as a safety device pursuant to 49 CFR 571.108 S7.9.4.

Legal devices can be used on either low-beam or high-beam, but not both, and will flicker approximately 240 times per minute. Properly working devices will give the appearance of a loose connection. Devices that alternate between high-beam and low-beam are illegal.

I hope this helps.

Lt. VanDyken
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

I got the from Kisan

Kisan manufactures all pathBlazer headlight modulators in full compliance with the FMVSS 108. A single headlamp is modulated between Full and 17% intensity, whereas dual headlamps are modulated similarly but synchronized.

Following link will serve as Manufacturing Certification.
    https://www.kisantech.com/regulations.php

Andy
    andy@kisantech.com
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    I have a print-out of the legal authority to operate my modulating headlight with the paperwork for my bike. If the officer wants to see my registration and proof of insurance, he'll also see 49 CFR 571.108 S7.9.4, which permits me to operate a flashing headlight at four flashes/second on my motorcycle between dawn and dusk.

I don't look at it as being confrontational with the officer. I view it as an opportunity to educate someone who obviously doesn't know the law when it comes to motorcycle headlights. There are right ways to educate a LEO, and there are wrong ways to educated LEOs, and I advocate using a diplomatic approach.

If the law supports you not getting a ticket, or otherwise endorses the equipment you're operating, let the LEO know that you have a different take on the situation - and a copy of the law to back up your position. Every police officer knows federal law trumps state and local laws, and producing a copy of the rules from the Code of Federal Regulations can't hurt your position.

I'm willing to bet that many LEOs will look at your federal citation and consider it before writing a ticket. If you're arrested for offering the officer a copy of a federal law to support your contention that your equipment is legal, you'll find yourself a wealthy person in a few years at the conclusion of your civil suit against the police department.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I'm utterly unimpressed by headlight modulators. I'm all about some tailight/braklight flashing though.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.