Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: These are BMW MC Boots?

This summer I bought a pair of the BMW sneakers. As a geezer, they help me recapture my youth when I wore sneakers. They don't offer the protection of regular boots, but they are much better than the flip flops that the Harley guys are wearing.

They are also nice for walking or just hanging around looking cool.

If I were 40 years younger I would feel that I was "styling" in them, but I know better-----and so does my wife.
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

How much protection do you need in your Paddock boot?

How many high or low side get-offs have you had on the way to the toolbox from the bike?

Just because some copy writer says you can wear them riding does that make them riding boots?

Why do you assume they are intended for RR riders?

Why do you assume a RR rider would wear them for serious riding?

We own, care for and ride motorcycles. For various and sometimes unknown reason that is what we do.

BMW manufactures and sometimes brands other companies products and sells them. They do that to make a profit because that is what their investors want.

The 'Pit Crew' regularly calls into question my taste and that of BMW's but they all like my roadster

I like many of the gear items at my Fly-Over-Land Triumph dealer (Duc stuff is always to small). Probably have more Triumph labeled things than BMW. However, that is not saying much. I tend to buy un-branded items or take the labels off things that are.

YMMV

Wow all this over a pair of sneakers.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Rally Rat
    These were a great upgrade from my flip-flops. Now I really feel protected.

I tend to buy un-branded items or take the labels off things that are.
    Ditto.

Anyone remember when automobile dealerships used to drill holes in their cars to affix those die-cast dealer logos plates? This was long before dealers slapped on license plate frames or used adhesive labels.

In 1969 my dad ordered a Platinum Silver Pontiac Gran Prix, it was a beautiful automobile; you may recall it, the hood was the longest in the industry that year. When he went to pick it up he found that the dealer had put his die-cast advertising plate on the trunk lid. He told the salesman that it was going to cost the dealership $100 a month for them to advertise on his new car. They balked of course, and their body shop had to repair his brand new trunk lid before he would accept it.

I even peel the manufacturer's sticker off of my helmets.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

This the "grumpy old men" thread?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    This the "grumpy old men" thread?

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Stud Monkey

Back to actually talking about the shoes.......

Hi Guys,

As I'm actually wearing the shoes as I write this.........I thought I could add something to this thread........

Yes, most of you are right.......these shoes are not a substitute for a good pair of motorcycle boots.......(my usual boots are a pair of Santiago's....which I love!)

But....these shoes are not just pure "fashion statement". As with most of what BMW sells in the way motorcycle gear, a fair amount of thought has gone into the design of the shoes.

1) They are mostly leather, with some high strength fabric to help provide breathabilty.

2) The soles are fairly firm and provide good support and traction.

3) The shoelace design enables a snug fit if desired and the Velcro strap helps to make sure the laces don't blow around in the wind and come undone.

4) The shoes have some reflective elements which may improve visibility.

5) The shoes also have some very light armor at the ankle joint.

So......I would say that my Santiago's are 10x better that my BMW sneakers, which are 10x better than my Chuck Taylor's, which are 10x better than my flip-flops............although saying something is 100x better than flip-flops may not be saying much

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

speaking of peeling off the labels...I hate to see your food pantry canned goods without labels or the beer bottles in your fridge

Shoes are retro cool , I wouldn't ride in them daily...but I learned on a Honda 90 in PJ Flyers and flip-flops in the 70's anyways riding on the beach or oyster shell roads so what do I know
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

.but I learned on a Honda 90 in PJ Flyers and flip-flops in the 70's anyways riding on the beach or oyster shell roads so what do I know
    What is sounds like is, you knew how to have fun at an early age.. ...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner