Thread: CanAm

Podzo

CanAm

Just to throw this out, wouldn't it be a good match to put that 1600 engine in something like the CanAm for us old farts. The CanAm especially the RT looks great but seems like the V-twin engine is underpowered for all that weight. A three wheeled machine with that engine and the BMW engineers could create a winner!

"They" already build somthing close. http://www.gizmag.com/gg-quadster-quad-bike-road/13014/ Just one extra wheel.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

In addition to their Quad, the GG guys came out with a trike last year. Powered by a BMW K1300.

http://bmwmcmag.com/2010/07/gg-taurus/

While it might not keep up with the K1200's, K1300's, etc, the Can Am Spyder RT is not underpowered. JMO We traveled to Glacier and Yellowstone this summer, pulling a trailer, and had no trouble passing cars on the slab or in the mountains.
    Dan

The only obvious negative to me of the Spyder motor is the absolutely terible fuel economy that makes it more expensive to run than, for example, a BMW 5 series that will get about 30 mpg in highway use compared to the reported high 20s for the Spyder.
    I understand the attraction if one's 2 wheel days are over but otherwise if I'm going to burn that much, it will have 4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    The only obvious negative to me of the Spyder motor is the absolutely terible fuel economy that makes it more expensive to run than, for example, a BMW 5 series that will get about 30 mpg in highway use compared to the reported high 20s for the Spyder.
    I understand the attraction if one's 2 wheel days are over but otherwise if I'm going to burn that much, it will have 4 wheels
    I agree. Fuel economy is pretty bad. During our 4,600 mile trip we had a low of 25 mpg up to about 33-34 mpg. Depended upon speed mostly. Moving the Spyder is like pushing a barn door through the air.
    Dan

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I agree. Fuel economy is pretty bad. During our 4,600 mile trip we had a low of 25 mpg up to about 33-34 mpg. Depended upon speed mostly. Moving the Spyder is like pushing a barn door through the air.
    I talked with the dealer on Saturday during the Back of the Dragon Day. He said fuel mileage was the biggest but one of the few complaints they got. I asked him about the difficulty of adjusting to the bike not leaning. He said that was a problem for some but the bike wasn't marketed to the current motorcycle rider. It is marketed for those that have not ridden motorcycles before or in the recent past.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Part of that poor fuel mileage has to come from using an under-sized, under-powered engine (under 1 liter) in this size vehicle. But as BRP owns Rotax, that's where the engines are gonna come from.

Beyond that, my dealer tells me there is a regular stream of stop-sale orders and recalls on the CanAms for software updates and parts replacements. No thanks...
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)