Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: K1600 head to head with Goldwing

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    WHEN THE HELL IS BMW GOING TO FINALLY GET IT AS RELATES TO ENGINE HEAT COOKING THE RIDER AND FIX THE PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!?????????
    Heat management on my '03 RT couldn't be better.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    +1 - '04 RT
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Unhappy

First off let me say I don't know anyone employed directly by BMWM. I do know a few dealers but that's it in my chain of communication with the company. From a personal standpoint I think calling the GT/GTL a direct replacement for the LT is incorrect. I think the people at BMW weren't looking for an LT replacement they were looking for something new and different, not just a gussied up LT. Honda and Harley-Davidson are the best at squeaking out every last possible once of design change from the same old motorcycle. How old is the current Gold Wing design? How old is the current Harley-Davidson platform? Sure they may put some new fangled farkle on their bikes but when you cut down to the quick it is the same old tired platforms that have been around for decades.

So fast forward to the BMWM design group. They probably had some interesting conversations prior to actually designing the GT/GTL. I am sure some said let's save a ton of money and just pull a Harley or a Honda and change the fairing a little and throw on a new radio or fancier gps. Change the LT paint scheme a bit and viola....the NEW BMW LT II. But would it REALLY be new? Has there been a REALLY new Gold Wing in recent memory? Has there been a REALLY new Harley-Davidson in 60 years? No, all they have done is tweaked this and that and bumped up horsepower and when things really needed upgrading they threw in an extra gear or two in the transmission. It is STILL the same old tired ass design. So for my two cents worth I applaud BMW for again being on the cutting edge of change by bringing out the GT/GTL. For all the current faults on this bike it is a totally new design and when the bugs are worked out it should be a really great bike just like the LT turned out to be. Remember all the conversating about that bike when it first came out?????? Rick

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

Harry
    +1 '11 GSA
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 117051 View Post
    First off let me say I don't know anyone employed directly by BMWM. I do know a few dealers but that's it in my chain of communication with the company. From a personal standpoint I think calling the GT/GTL a direct replacement for the LT is incorrect. I think the people at BMW weren't looking for an LT replacement they were looking for something new and different, not just a gussied up LT. Honda and Harley-Davidson are the best at squeaking out every last possible once of design change from the same old motorcycle. How old is the current Gold Wing design? How old is the current Harley-Davidson platform? Sure they may put some new fangled farkle on their bikes but when you cut down to the quick it is the same old tired platforms that have been around for decades.

So fast forward to the BMWM design group. They probably had some interesting conversations prior to actually designing the GT/GTL. I am sure some said let's save a ton of money and just pull a Harley or a Honda and change the fairing a little and throw on a new radio or fancier gps. Change the LT paint scheme a bit and viola....the NEW BMW LT II. But would it REALLY be new? Has there been a REALLY new Gold Wing in recent memory? Has there been a REALLY new Harley-Davidson in 60 years? No, all they have done is tweaked this and that and bumped up horsepower and when things really needed upgrading they threw in an extra gear or two in the transmission. It is STILL the same old tired ass design. So for my two cents worth I applaud BMW for again being on the cutting edge of change by bringing out the GT/GTL. For all the current faults on this bike it is a totally new design and when the bugs are worked out it should be a really great bike just like the LT turned out to be. Remember all the conversating about that bike when it first came out?????? Rick
    I am not sure if I understand your post, Yes the GW is a decade old, yet it competes favorably with the BMW's "Totally new design" what is wrong with this picture? I am not sure I would use the term "cutting edge" msn
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

S. McQueen

Seeking Mental Floss
    I have been watching this thread with interest. Two years ago I sold my 05 RT and purchased my Wing. I remain quite happy with that decision. I changed because:
    1. worried about FD issues
    2. RT did not pull my trailer well
    3. My wife was not as comfortable as she would have liked, even after a Rick Mayer seat

The main reason I have not ridden a GTL is that we remain blissfully happy with the Wing, and my wife feels the Goldwing rear seat is the most comfortable seat on any of our vehicles. Since riding pillion is the worst duty I can imagine, I will continue to do everything I can to make her happy. I would say, however, that anyone who feels the Wing is "fat", "slow", etc, is sorely mistaken. It is larger, heavier, but is very comfortable and capable.

I will say that I miss two things about BMW. One is the electrically adjustable windshield. The other is the gear indicator. I will also say the the Wing Navi just plain sucks. Otherwise, best bike I have ever ridden.

I do believe the comparisons are not apples to apples. I am, however, enjoying the read this thread provides......even though some folks are clearly delusional!
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

I don't know what is not to be understood. The Honda GW is a nice bike for a 10 year old design. That seems like a pretty direct comment. Let me ask a question instead, what major design change has taken place on a Honda GW or Harley bagger in the last 10 years? In the venue of heavyweight touring motorcycles neither Honda or Harley have made any significant changes to their platforms other than "tweeking" this and that. One of the greatest features of the 1600 and 1200LT was the electrically adjustable windshield that was initially offered on the first 1200LT over a decade ago. To this point no other touring bike that I know of has this feature. True, Honda has a mechanically adjustable windshield but you can't adjust it on the go. On a Harley you can only adjust the windshield by installing a new one of different height. I can't speak for Honda but I do know that there is more than enough room to install the mechanics for an adjustable windshield on a Road Glide yet Harley hasn't addressed this issue.

In another area, which motorcycle manufacturer has been the leader in development of anti-lock brakes? As I recall BMW is going on something like 20 years or more of ABS design. Harley-Davidson brought their ABS system out in 2005 and it was only available on police bikes for several years. I don't know when Honda brought out ABS on the GW but I don't think it was all that long ago. At first most motorcycle manufacturers thought ABS was a waste of time and effort and that it would never be accepted or desired by their customers. BMW obviously felt that ABS brakes was a worthwhile venture that would save lives and continued development of better ABS systems while the other big name companies sat on their hands. It was only when Honda and Harley both realized they were at risk of losing customers to BMW that they started delvelopment of their own ABS systems. So when I say BMW is again on the "cutting edge" of technology it is my belief that they are. They have developed a sport touring motorcycle in the 1600 with almost every conceivable option a rider could want or need. Short of having two extra side mounted wheels to keep the bike from falling over the 1600 is about as safe a motorcycle as one could possibly buy given the horsepower that it has. Is it a bike for "everyone"? No it isn't. Some people like riding a great big old bagger and some prefer updated tech. Whichever way you prefer, go for it!

Rick

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by 117051 View Post
    For all the current faults on this bike it is a totally new design and when the bugs are worked out it should be a really great Rick
    Yes........this certainly sounds very "cutting edge".

And, for those who think a flat six is an outdated design........drive down to your local Porsche dealer and ask for a test drive.

I'm just kiddin' with you, now........don't go nuclear on me!
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

every else is wrong!!

I traded off an 09 GW just because I wasn't really comfortable on the seat and neither was my wife. I just didn't like the weight although it was amazing how well it handled.

my 09 GS is the best touring bike in the world since I bought a Russel seat, Jesse bags and Garmin 660.

I can prove it.

My wife says it is.

Anyother conclusion is just opinion. IMO.
    74 R90/6 and 09 R1200GS. member of Christian Motorcyclist Association. Ride for Jesus!

No need for a flame job, I am just stating facts as I see them. Lord knows Honda Gold Wings never had any teething problems either when they came out with something new.......wait, what's that cracking noise from under that Gold Wing???? Rick

humerous flame?

I have owned lots of different kinds of motorcycles. What I wanted in a bike changes sometimes. When I bought the GW I just wanted something that was just gas oil and ride. Little mantaince chores. It was that at least until I found out changing the air filter cost about $300 at the dealer or a full day of taking off plastic pieces.

Maybe the key to mc satisfaction is being sure what you really want in a bike and finding one that meets that need. Unfortunately sometimes lust sets in and on impulse we buy something we really want now that we soon become dissatisfied with.

I haven't ridden the K1600LT. Probably wouldn't be a good idea. That lust thing you know. But if you are a GW rider that wants a somewhat stronger, faster, newer, It may the bike for you.
    74 R90/6 and 09 R1200GS. member of Christian Motorcyclist Association. Ride for Jesus!

Seeking Mental Floss
    Frame cracks, of course, were problems Wings HAD, but Honda SOLVED in 2004. 2012 Wing owners report a much improved front suspension (though not as good as Traxxion) and updated electronics with iPod input, etc. It keeps evolving. I, too, worry about the lust thing, and admit it is one of the reasons I have not ridden the new BMW. But, the main reason is the similarity of the rear seat to that of the RT, which just does not compare to the Wing, and the fact that all those "bugs" have already been worked out. Both great bikes, though. If I only had a bigger garage..........
    Hugh

2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

But can ya put a car tire on the k1600??

msn
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

S. McQueen

not to make this an honda bash.....but

First of all the only problem I ever had with the Goldwing was a defective latch on the trunk. Fixed under warranty. I always shifted it like a BMW. Slight pressure up, pull the clutch, don't jam the shift lever and I never had any problem with the transmission.

That being said, I now know two GW riders who had to have their transmissions rebuilt. One twice before the problem was fixed. The other is in for tranny job now.

Think I would rather take a chance on a final drive, not that we have been hearing much about them lately, than a transmission repair that would cost megabucks out of warranty.

Since this is a comparison thread. I think the Wing looks old. I really like the looks of the 1600GTL.

'91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753