Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K1600 head to head with Goldwing

Hybrid View

K1600 head to head with Goldwing

Has anyone else read the Motorcycle Consumer News comparison? I'm not in the market for either one but it was enlightening to read a more reality based comparo for a touring bike then those that seem to pass through ad copy.

The GTL is clearly not an LT, and is just as clearly not trying to be a Goldwing. Just a quick look at the bike will tell you that. A more interesting matchup would be with the Concours 14 and the FJR 13. Everyone who has ridden one understands that it is a replacement for the K13GT.

Still, I was amazed that MCN chose the GW engine over the K16. I had a brief ride on a friend's GTL (in Germany) a couple weeks ago and it just simply flies. I didn't notice any of the driveline snatch that MCN was going on about.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

agreed. I'll have to say that I thought that BMW was going to use the GTL to compete for the long distance two up riders. Based on the MCN comparison, it appears that it does if you're off the interstate. But surprisingly the GW won in more catagories than I would have expected.
    For those that were interested in comparing the two it makes for an interesting read.

Yes, I read it

I too was surprised by some of the findings. I think that the comparison suffers a little by the choice of competitors. That said, maybe my impression of the GoldWing suffers by knowing several of their 'bowling jacket/matching helmet/looks trumps all else' riders. I feel like they're comparing a Lipizzaner Stallion with a Park Avenue carriage horse.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    The Motorcycle Consumer News comparison is the only one that I have seen where the GW won. The K1600 seems to have won the rest of them.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Motorradfahrer
    Well somebody had to be different. If you have been on both the GW does have some advantages over the 1600. Who wins depends on what you are looking for to begin with in the comparison. In the end I don't know I truly trust any of these publications. Advertising dollars and subscriptions have a lot to do with these comparisons. This is not unbiased hard core journalism as if there was such thing an unbiased hard core journalism anymore.

Pressing #1 for English! tictac's Avatar
    Yes. GTL in not an LT.
    Yes. Driveline snatch is there.
    Maybe you can fly GTL in Germany, but in US guys are getting speeding tickets for going 5 miles above the speed limit.
    At least 2 GTL bikes, I know of, went back to the dealer.
    One was replaced by a brand new R1200RT.
    The second one... "STILL THINKING"
    A+ for MCN. They did a good job.
    $26800 for a bike and the lid of the top case can't hold a kermit chair?
    I really was waiting for that GTL in anticipation of a real "TOURING" bike.
    When Concourse 14 will become a little more "TOURING", I will be the first in line.
    Last edited by 104554; 08-27-2011 at 09:39 AM.
    2002 R1150R
    2003 F650CS
    2004 R1150RA
    Bye Bye 2006 K1200LT

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    The GTL is clearly not an LT, and is just as clearly not trying to be a Goldwing. Just a quick look at the bike will tell you that. A more interesting matchup would be with the Concours 14 and the FJR 13. Everyone who has ridden one understands that it is a replacement for the K13GT.

Still, I was amazed that MCN chose the GW engine over the K16. I had a brief ride on a friend's GTL (in Germany) a couple weeks ago and it just simply flies. I didn't notice any of the driveline snatch that MCN was going on about.
    Check out the K16GT vs Concours 14 comparison in the latest MCN. K16GT preferred in 9 out of 11 categories. Hard to overlook the $9k price difference tho.
    '11 GS

Your not going to get Honda riders off their Goldwings or Harley riders off their Ultra Classics. They are as didicated to their clubs and brands as we are. Any comparison of these bikes for all practical purposes is illrelevent. Their happy, we're happy.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Your not going to get Harley riders off their Ultra Classics. They are as didicated to their clubs and brands as we are. Any comparison of these bikes for all practical purposes is illrelevent. Their happy, we're happy.
    In 15 years, I rode 4 different electra glides just over 310,000 miles.
    I was happy on them all.
    HD makes a good motorcycle.
    Then I made the mistake of demo riding a R1200GS on the street.
    My lord, I forgot how much fun riding a motorcycle was.
    Traded the E-Glide in on an r12gs, bought a r11rt for a while, bought a r1150rt for a while, traded it in on a f650gs.
    Now have 2 gs's in the garage.
    And I'm happy.
    max

I just got off of my GL1800 after 4 years of blissful riding mostdays year round unless there was snow or ice on the road. I never thought I would want anything else, then, the K1600 came along. WOW! DonÔÇÖt get me wrong. I loved my Wing and I am a young rider who loves to spend time in the twisties, no itÔÇÖs not a CBR , GSXR etc.. but for all day riding I thought it did whatever I asked of it and did it well.

IÔÇÖd never had a BMW before and I picked up my new GTL two weeks ago and have been impressed every day since. My wife thinks it actually rides a little better than the wing as she never gets airborne on the bumps like she did on the wing and she can see better as she sits a little higher. She liked the grab handles on the wing better but I think sheÔÇÖs getting used to the new ones. The only places the GTL comes up short compared to the wing for me is cruising on the highway at speeds greater than 80mph, itÔÇÖs just not the same, which is probably good as my cruising speed has dropped by 5 or 10 mph. The other thing is the stock windshield in the rain; I never really got wet with the wing and with the GTL If I have the shield just bellow my line of sight I get a shower. I donÔÇÖt like looking though the shield so I donÔÇÖt think IÔÇÖll be changing it out and I love the adjustability on the fly, way too cool. It is much more like a sport tour but with all of the conveniences of the larger touring bikes.

Shuberth helmets donÔÇÖt fit my head but it didnÔÇÖt stop me from buying the bike.
    2012 K1600GTL

Quote Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
    Check out the K16GT vs Concours 14 comparison in the latest MCN. K16GT preferred in 9 out of 11 categories. Hard to overlook the $9k price difference tho.
    The GT is roomier though. The Concours needs ergonomic adjustments to equal a stock GT or RT. FWIW, the RT is cramped for me.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

A group of us were told by BMW engineers at a pre design meeting that they were not looking to design a BMW "Goldwing". They said that the Goldwing was a fine motorcycle but they had no interest in that style of motorcycle design. The meeting was held about 3 years ago @ Max BMW on a Sunday.
    Mike

I Agree With the Article

I have ridden both 1600's and like all beemers they seem to have a similar failiure in design. The pegs are too high, the bars are too far forward, and the seats are tourture devices. In this I agree with the Motorcyclist magazine. I also agree that down the road it may be expensive to fix some of the electronics, but so will the wing.

I drive 2010 RT and agree that the cases are not that sturdy. On mine the cable kept comming out and it finally hit the pavement wehnI opened it on the side stand and I scratched the side quite badly.

So I think their experience is raelistic and BMW needs to address some of these issues in their entire bike line.

Don't get me wrong, I like BMW bikes and this is my fourth. They are reliable and do as advertised. They need to work on ergonomics if they want to compete with the big touring bikes.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2010 1200RT

IF and I don't, but IF I wanted a 2 up touring only rig I wold get a HD Roadglide ABS.

If I wanted to tour and corner, one up mostly, some 2 up then I would get a RT.

If I wanted to sleep in jail, and put my lawyers son thru college, I would get the K1600GT.

I just do not have that much self control.

Rod