Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $50.00 a quart!

P.T. Barnum was right.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    P.T. Barnum was right.
    You got that right. $50.0 for a qt. of gear oil?

More Expensive is not necessarily Better

IRT Office Impersonator's comment - I have an old college buddy who is a very successful plastic surgeon in northern NJ. He deals a lot with what he calls the Wall Street Vanity Trade. He charges an obscenely excessive rate for his butt and boob lift and nose job services because he says if he charges a reasonable, lower rate, he'll lose business because those folks will assume he is less competent than the higher-priced docs. In his defense, he charges way less, and sometimes nothing at all, for more difficult cases such as mangled hands (the biggest challenge) and torn-up faces, especially if the victim is a child or a working stiff who cannot afford to pay the vanity trade fees. Does this not ring a bell with those who think they should pay $50/qt for oil because they paid $26K for the motorcycle? What, then, should someone pay for Ferrari engine oil?

Knowing what we know and hearing cases like this, why would anyone allow the dealership to do basic maintenance to their bikes? Aside from the first required service of course. Given the amount of FD oil used why not replace the oil 1x per year or bi-yearly? I don't buy that 1x for the life of the bike or 1x per 100k miles. For the price, do it yearly, it can only help.

Talking You'll Void your Warranty!!!!!!

If you don't use the reccommended oil in the FD or elsewhere your WARRANTY will be voided by The Fueher!!!!!!
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

hypocracy or...no

So over on the BMW CCA (car club of america) side, the big complaint is about "lifetime fill" in gearbox and diff. In the diff of recent 3 series E90, there is no drain plug, as the genius engineers have decreed that no diff change is ever necessary in their black forest precision engineered jewelry. So the members siphon out the diff fluid and replace it with Red Line at around $10.00 quart.

Meanwhile on the BMW MOA side, a drain of a few cc's is $50.00. Go figure.

Last summer, I changed the rear tire on my HD FLHT. I was listening to Beethoven's Fifth and drinking Beck's, but it did occur to me, for just a brief moment, that the HD "final drive" was fairly simple... an axle, an eccentric locater, and a belt.

Hmmmm
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Rumor has it that this same fd oil is available at Range Rover places forabout $20.
    Haven't confimed it but wouldn't surprise me given the markup on BMW parts.
    It's not a rumor. I bought a quart at a Land Rover dealer this spring and it was $13.49.
    Ask for LRN 7591 Gear Oil. It's the same oil as the Castrol SAF-XO 75W90 synthetic.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

ricoefamoso

I ABSOLUTLY AGREE WITH YOU Officer !

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I chuckle every time I read someone's complaints about the exorbitant costs to service and maintain a $25,000 motorcycle.

Guess you should have bought the Kawasaki Concours instead. Then you'd have $10,000 left over for parts and fluids.
    I am continually amazed by concerns / complaints surrounding BMW Service Fees, Oil Cost, and equally important MPG statistics. (My GT fully "tricked out" ... Top Case ... LED Light ... Engine Guards, etc. had an MSRP of $27,000 + before Tax & Tag) This amazing machine is worth every dollar. I dont know top from bottom on a screw driver or wrench and could care less ... that is why I rely on my BMW Service Advisor and am happy to pay for BMW Technition Services (I change oil and oil filters every 3000 miles) authorized fluids / parts / etc. Has been the same with my R1200RT's as well. Obviously Officer ... there are a few of us out there who are passionate about fine motos and "don't sweat the small stuff" and simply enjoy our ride! PS: I am fortunate to have one of the largest BMW Dealers a short 20 minute ride from my home in Daytona Beach Shores FL ... and that's a good thing too !

Quote Originally Posted by ricoefamoso View Post
    I am continually amazed by concerns / complaints surrounding BMW Service Fees, Oil Cost, and equally important MPG statistics. (My GT fully "tricked out" ... Top Case ... LED Light ... Engine Guards, etc. had an MSRP of $27,000 + before Tax & Tag) This amazing machine is worth every dollar. I dont know top from bottom on a screw driver or wrench and could care less ... that is why I rely on my BMW Service Advisor and am happy to pay for BMW Technition Services (I change oil and oil filters every 3000 miles) authorized fluids / parts / etc. Has been the same with my R1200RT's as well. Obviously Officer ... there are a few of us out there who are passionate about fine motos and "don't sweat the small stuff" and simply enjoy our ride! PS: I am fortunate to have one of the largest BMW Dealers a short 20 minute ride from my home in Daytona Beach Shores FL ... and that's a good thing too !
    One might suggest the basis for complaints regarding BMW cost of parts and services, isn't in "sweating the small stuff", but the idea of being unknowingly or for some, knowingly accepting a "screwing" for parts and services rendered. While realizing one must pay to play, as part of the game, items such as $14.00 for a $3.00 oil filter and $15.00 plus for a $4.00 sparkplug, let alone $50.00 for a $15.00 liter of lube -- is this paragraph's definition of being screwed.

Merry Christmas!
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by ricoefamoso View Post
    You will be OK as long as you don't ride far from Florida. Don't ever go to Mexico.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kltsteve View Post
    So over on the BMW CCA (car club of america) side, the big complaint is about "lifetime fill" in gearbox and diff. In the diff of recent 3 series E90, there is no drain plug, as the genius engineers have decreed that no diff change is ever necessary in their black forest precision engineered jewelry. So the members siphon out the diff fluid and replace it with Red Line at around $10.00 quart.
    Most RWD vehicles don't have a drain in the differential and have not had one for decades. I seem to remember that the drain started disappearing when the gears stopped being removeable as a unit from the front (you could switch them between drag races on Fords (12 bolt) to change the ratios). Most RWD cars and trucks never have the gear oil changed, there is seldom a problem and the oil is just cheap conventional grease that costs under $5 per quart.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Some without drain plugs remove the cover to drain the fluid, then fill thru the vent.

My 2000 Silverado 1500, 1999 Lexus RX 300, 2001 E46 BMW 330i, 2000 K1200lt, and 1999 Valkyrie all have drain plugs. They all get bi-annual drain and fills.

Whatever the facts of the matter may be, your position matches that of BMW Autos NA, ie the fill is lifetime and doen't need replacement.

Maybe if BMW Motorad took the same position, then we wouldn't be having a $50 discussion.

Regards
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1