Thread: Our Own Diners, Drive-ins and Dives MI, IN

Hybrid View

Our Own Diners, Drive-ins and Dives MI, IN

Someone giving brewery stops in Michigan made me think, why not a thread? My wife and I ride about 12k a year and we look for spots far away to go eat. We regularly ride 200 miles to eat somewhere on the weekend. We look for something unique and some place we will not feel out of place while wearing gear. I will start.

St. Ignace, MI - Java Joes - awesome breakfast, awesome dinner. Coconut Pancakes, Nutella Crepes, lobster Omlettes for breakfast. Mac&Cheese with lobster for dinner. I am in love with this place.

Potterville, MI - Joe's Gizzard City - OK, this was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. http://www.gizzardcity.com/ Thing is gizzards are not the draw, it is a deep fired burger. Can I recommend the battered and deep fried hot dogs covered in chili and cheese? For dessert deep fired nutter butters. Two pieces of advice: 1. Have no plan to go anywhere fast after this as the fried food coma will hit you 2. Don't let the website fool you, this place is a dive so be mentally prepared.
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

I think your idea sounds good and I would contribute to it on a regular basis.

I pretty much do the same thing on Sunday mornings when not working. I set a rdaius of about 125 miles in each direction and then research a place to ride for breakfast. I try and take the back roads as much as possible. Two weeks ago was to New Buffalo Michigan and this weekend am off for South Haven.

I know some other MOA members who do the same thing. Sometimes we rode together or met up at certain locations. It's alot of fun.
    2004 BMW 1150RT
    Secretary--Chicago Region BMW Owners Association.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
    I think your idea sounds good and I would contribute to it on a regular basis.

I pretty much do the same thing on Sunday mornings when not working. I set a rdaius of about 125 miles in each direction and then research a place to ride for breakfast. I try and take the back roads as much as possible. Two weeks ago was to New Buffalo Michigan and this weekend am off for South Haven.

I know some other MOA members who do the same thing. Sometimes we rode together or met up at certain locations. It's alot of fun.
    New Buffalo, MI - Brewsters italian - Located downtown has great wood fired oven pizzas. Have eaten there numerous times but that is all I have ever had. I am sure everything else is good too. OK I lied, I have had numerous cookies there as well, baked fresh everyday.

New Buffalo, MI - Redamak's - A burger barn worth the trip. The constant line outside tells the story. This place is seasonal and closes in the winter.
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

If you want easy access to this type of info, I have put places like this on http://www.localmotohub.com, which could use the above info. Nice to have the colored pins that denote types of go to spots.
    Um, Redamak's? I'm just not a fan since I like burgers with all the toppings. Oh yeah, and the long lines, and the gravel parking lot. But that's just me. I like the small town bars with hand made burgers and seasoned fries.

Have fun,
    Jer
    Last edited by jers99lt; 08-18-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 4); 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'; 04 525i Orient Blue metallic; 09 328i Silver Convertable
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

iscream-stop
    I am more of an Ice cream person, New Buffalo, Mi is Oinks Ice cream. I like the Fair Oaks Farm the best right off 65, Im trying to find a more interesting route besides interstate.

Hey all: One thing I like almost as much as riding is eating!! (At 6'2", 235 is shows!!) Several really good eateries around here. The Brown Bear restaurant and bar, in Shelby and Pentwater has some of the biggest burgers I have ever seen. You could feed a family of three on one of these bad boys!! Reasonable prices, quick service and done to perfection. The Country dairy in Shelby has a wonderful selection of sandwiches, and homemade pizza. They make their own milk, and grind their own beef. Home cooking, and also reasonably priced. Country kitchen and Old Hamlin restaurants in Ludington have good eats for those crossing lake Michigan on the ferry. Both are mom and pop places that treat you great and feed you well. Traveling on M37? You HAVE to stop in Baldwin as Jones ice cream... Simply the best!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch