Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Raingear

Bill Clark
    I have a Hein Gericke one piece that I bought in Cologne, Germany back in 86. I do wear my FT's for my daily riders if the rain is spotty. I have ridden with a friend that wore his FT's in rain that would have drowned a frog (all day) and they were fine. With that being said, the HG one piece has been with me since 86 and I would never take a trip without it. It's a little bit of a pain to put on and take off, but in 25 years has never leaked a drop. And it is quick donning. Velcro and zippers on the legs to put it on with your boots on, and a double fell front zipper with foldover flap and built in bib. It even has a map pocket on the thigh. I love it and hope it lasts another 25 years. But with Goretex and all the other options available, you should be able to find something to suit YOU. That's pretty much how it is. My one piece has served me well. Oh yeah, even back then, Dayglo orange upper part, reflective tape, etc, etc. Check out this link. Looks like the have followed the same concept,
    http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/clothi...lb-silber.html
    I know it's U.K. but the price? 51#. They do have a U.S. component I believe.
    Last edited by Air Race Addict; 08-24-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Add a link.

Quanto12

Thumbs up Pro Rain 3

I have the BMW Pro Rain 3, and don't regret it at all!!! The one piece proved itself over and over in the worst conditions! It almost makes riding in the rain a blast! Well made! The suit don't creep up, and there's plenty of room for comfort!The bright yellow is very visible, and looks sharp!!

i have a Triumph (as in Triumph motorcycles) one piece rain suit. if you take proper care to connect all the velcro in order it is just about bullet proof. i've used it in extreme downpours on all day rides with really great results, even on the Isle of Man and in England. i will admit that if you forget something like your keys in a pants pocket, you have to practically come all the way out of the suit to get to your pocket, however.

i bought mine in 2008 and at the time it was around 100.00 (USD). one other word- they run large. i am normally a medium sized guy and i have a small suit. and it is borderline huge on me. i read a lot of reviews before going this route.

I have same question about BMW rain gear (not Frogg Toggs). I commute every day on motorcycle, 12 months a year, 57 miles each way. For 22 years. I have tried a LOT (15+) of rainsuits and they all leak after 1 hour of heavy rain. I'm not sure, but I think it's because I ride in heavy northern California freeway traffic all winter. Lots of rain, 10 lanes of cars, wind & rain, traffic blowing the water up-down-sideways-backwards. Huge puddles of water on the road with cars and trucks splashing through them making tidal wave water splashes. Most rainy days in Dec/Jan/Feb I never see another cycle. I've tried 1-pc and 2-pc with better results from 2-pc. The only one that didn't leak was a smock-type pullover that had no front zipper, but that's a pain to put on and off. Seems that the water always leaks in the crotch first. Eventually they leak at front collar, wrists, and ankles, too.
    Completely agree with you. Rain suits always leak in the jacket zipper, by the neck, or the crotch. 2-pcs suits are better then 1-pcs.

I once had a serious conversation with one mfg, but they believed that they knew more about rain suits then I did. Ironically, they didn't even ride bikes.

frogg toggs

Several of us have used Frogg toggs for the past 2 seasons--in a lot of rain!

The Horny Toads model has proved to be what works best for us. They really are an amazing level of quality , details, and price. WAY different than Frogg Toggs of even a few years ago.

You can check them out here:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...ToggRainSuits3

Tom Volk

full disclosure:
    I own RPW Motorcycle Accessories
    Home of Marsee Products and Helen Twowheels Products

FYI--We have sold hundreds of these rain suits--they really are excellent.

Rally Rat
    Frog Toggs: Best bang for the buck and light to pack.

I found that in the torrential hurricane-like rainstorms here in south Florida they work best if put on under my Aerostich suit. I put the hood up and then put the helmet on over it. This prevents the rain drip down the back of the neck. If you put the front of the hood under the helment chin strap you are completely water resistant.

Donster
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post
    i have a Triumph (as in Triumph motorcycles) one piece rain suit. if you take proper care to connect all the velcro in order it is just about bullet proof. i've used it in extreme downpours on all day rides with really great results, even on the Isle of Man and in England. i will admit that if you forget something like your keys in a pants pocket, you have to practically come all the way out of the suit to get to your pocket, however.

i bought mine in 2008 and at the time it was around 100.00 (USD). one other word- they run large. i am normally a medium sized guy and i have a small suit. and it is borderline huge on me. i read a lot of reviews before going this route.
    I just bought the latest version of this suit in hi-viz. Once you get the hang of it, it goes on very fast. Excellent gear.

Geeser
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanto12 View Post
    I have the BMW Pro Rain 3, and don't regret it at all!!! The one piece proved itself over and over in the worst conditions! It almost makes riding in the rain a blast! Well made! The suit don't creep up, and there's plenty of room for comfort!The bright yellow is very visible, and looks sharp!!
    +1 on the Pro Rain 3
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

Quote Originally Posted by Donster View Post
    I just bought the latest version of this suit in hi-viz. Once you get the hang of it, it goes on very fast. Excellent gear.
    i love mine, tho never having had anything but, i have zippo for comparison basis. i DO know this suit works well, tho.

longridgebuilder
    Well I just received my Frogg Toggs in the mail ---------- and my first impression is --------what the hell are these made of ?
    Feels like some sort of wrapping material, or maybe Postal Service shipping package. Heavy gauge Tyvek ?
    Well I'll be waiting for the next rain to try these out. And if I get lost I'll slap some postage on my forehead and jump into the back of a UPS truck.