Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: zumo 550 paperweight

the hell we go through with our electronic toys....

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    the hell we go through with our electronic toys....
    .. can easily replace the word"toys" with BMW. So far it was easier to 'fix' my Zumo than my Beemer

DAMN!!!

I just sent mine in and had to pay $132 for the refurb.

Wish I had seen this before...

DAMN!!!

2011 BMW R1200RT - 2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Limited
    2005 BMW GS (Gone)
    BMWMOA# 154903
    Danny

Motorradfahrer
    My misinformation about the iPhone came directly from Garmin in regards to their iPhone software. I called them about their software and they told me you have to be in tower range. It downloads ahead info but if you stay out of range for extended periods the GPS will not work. This again, from Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    I agree with the iPhone 4 writeup and then some. I can see weather maps, get weather warnings, find the nearest bike shop, lunch counter, gas station, blah, blah, blah. It does give you the internet in your pocket. And for me, although I do dearly love just getting out and riding, it is nice to have all that in my pocket when I want it. Unfortunately, I did it backwards, Zumo then iPhone.
    can't you also stream Sirius/XM with an app from your iPhone as well... ?

i have yet to be able to justify shelling out major dosh for a GPS. never used my iPhone on my bike but there may come a time... i use it in the car often, but only the *GPS* that comes with the phone. 50.00 for a real GPS app seems FAR better than 250.00- 900.00 for a GPS that will eventually crap out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider88 View Post

i have yet to be able to justify shelling out major dosh for a GPS. never used my iPhone on my bike but there may come a time... i use it in the car often, but only the *GPS* that comes with the phone. 50.00 for a real GPS app seems FAR better than 250.00- 900.00 for a GPS that will eventually crap out on you.
    You think the iphone won't crap out ?
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Wouldn't ya just know it!

All this talk about the Zumo and here I am, planning a weekend trip and my 5 mo 660 starts to act up. It does random shutdowns as I try to delete routes. HMMM Talked to a good guy at Garmin and will send it back on Monday. Glad I have my 765T and my iPhone as as backups. OBTW, when getting the latest updated maps, Garmin will try to get you to use the "Garmin Lifetime Updater" software: Option 1 (Recommended) on the My Maps page after selecting 'Download' under your device(s). While it will update your GPS unit, this will not put the latest map into BaseCamp on a Mac. Use the old 'Garmin Map Update application' and click on Advance, as before.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    You think the iphone won't crap out ?
    It may, but I have a better warranty on it.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Motorradfahrer
    A Nuvi 550 is waterproof, battery operated if you wish to unplug and comes loaded with the North America map. It does not play music or Bluetooth to the helmet. I have never had the directions pumped into my helmet but then again was using GPS before I had Bluetooth. I have never wished I could hear it because I can see it. The only reason I bought the 550 is for the waterproofing. I was tired of putting a ziplock around my regular Nuvi. At $249 it is not exactly cheap but it ain't $699. I can't imagine riding without GPS but I can imagine it without sound. Actually I ignore the exact directions half the time and take alternate side trips and don't want to hear two women squawking in my ear.

I thought I had a paperweight, turned out to be my wiring, all's good now.
    I cut my wiring to run my 550 off the accessory pigtail at the neck - turned out to be the + & - were to closes in the heat wrap casing. I thought my kid got to it - my home was the North Pole, all the colors in the rainbow,#'s & multi screens.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

no, the iPhone has no satellite receiver.

i bet you're thinking of something like Pandora, which streams music via the cellular network.

ian

but there is an app that allows internet streaming of XM. I read the reviews and it does not look all that good. Plus it uses up bandwidth.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Android

Android phones come complete with a Google Maps app which seems highly regarded. It is a free utility, unlike the iPhone [a.k.a. "iPay].

I don't use a smartphone (yet) so have no opinion of it. Android phones with enough memory MAY be able to function as navigators without a tower connection, but I need verification of that. It would be a bummer to lose nav on half the two lane and gravel roads in the USA.

Also, Androids and other smartphones can use Trapster [look it up] to likely warn of upcoming speed traps. A BMW M-car owner-friend makes much use of that with apparent success.

No known Garmin can do that.

BTW: I just got a strange email from Garmin, teasing me about some "everything will change on August 24" upcoming release. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll update the maps on my Zumo 550 (my $150 replacement from last spring).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rogers View Post
    but there is an app that allows internet streaming of XM. I read the reviews and it does not look all that good. Plus it uses up bandwidth.
    there are applications arising using a satellite distribution model, hopping onto cellular and then streaming to your phone. the phone itself is not receiving a signal from the satellite.

according to its proponents DVB-SH is going to be big for mobile broadcasting.

there are efforts underway for mobility devices to receive streaming broadband content directly from satellites, too.

Jack Herbst

I stream XM/Sirius on my Iphone 4 but you must be in range of a cell tower. Iphones are not satelite activated nor do they work off of satilites.
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."