Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International vs. Intranational Rally??

Clay

Question International vs. Intranational Rally??

Someone brought up an interesting point..does the title "International Rally" really reflect the true meaning of word International?

Though participants to the Rally come from other parts of the globe.. generally the Rally is held 'within' the political boundaries of the United States.

Should the word Intranational ...

"within one nation; occurring or existing within a nation's boundaries. "

..replace International

"1.between or among nations; involving two or more nations: international trade.
    2.of or pertaining to two or more nations or their citizens: a matter of international concern.
    3.pertaining to the relations between nations: international law.
    4.having members or activities in several nations: an international organization.
    5.transcending national boundaries or viewpoints: an international benefit; an international reputation."

Thoughts/suggestions??

angysdad
    'International' in the name is equivalent to an open invitation to the world.

'Intranational' evokes an image of someone gazing at his belly button.

my 2?รณ

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    1. between or among nations; involving two or more nations...

5. ... an international benefit; an international reputation."
    are you the guy who corrects everyone's spelling on ADV?

people come to our rally from all over the world. and we have a reputation as the world's largest independent BMW club.

on edit: we have members all over the world and they often come to our rally.

hence, we have an international rally.

ian
    Last edited by Visian; 08-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

International

I met riders from Mexico, Belgium, England, Canada, and Scotland. For me it was an international rally.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

It's sort of like the "World" Series or Mr. "Universe".
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Talking

I just spent two minutes gazing into my belly button and actually found 2 cents!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    I just spent two minutes gazing into my belly button and actually found 2 cents!
    so, kevin, what are your two cents?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    so, kevin, what are your two cents?
    If other countries are consistently in attendance, I would think it's an International Rally.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

angysdad
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Lucky you...all I found was lint!

Detroit annually hosts an auto show. It is always held in Detroit. It's called the North American International Auto Show. Hmmmmm.
    Dan

The BMW MOA holds what can be best viewed as a "national" rally as the host is known as the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Fortunately the MOA forefathers did not restrict club or owner membership to those who do not reside in America. For this to be a true international rally it's location would be rotated amongst the various countries where club and members reside and not just within the boundaries of the United States of America. Trenton being the exception and for logistical reasons I cannot see the MOA coming back to Canada anytime soon. Although the door is will always remain open.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by angysdad View Post
    Lucky you...all I found was lint!
    You are both lucky...I can't bend over that far.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by R80RTJohnny View Post
    The BMW MOA holds what can be best viewed as a "national" rally as the host is known as the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Fortunately the MOA forefathers did not restrict club or owner membership to those who do not reside in America. For this to be a true international rally it's location would be rotated amongst the various countries where club and members reside and not just within the boundaries of the United States of America. Trenton being the exception and for logistical reasons I cannot see the MOA coming back to Canada anytime soon. Although the door is will always remain open.
    I see it slightly differently. It is the BMW Motorcycles of America. It is International because folks are welcomed from anywhere in the world. We fly in and out of International airports and eat at International House of Pancakes. We would have rallies in the Canadian part of America except for the difficulties crossing the border.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I see it slightly differently. It is the BMW Motorcycles of America. It is International because folks are welcomed from anywhere in the world. We fly in and out of International airports and eat at International House of Pancakes. We would have rallies in the Canadian part of America except for the difficulties crossing the border.
    I agree, to an extent, with your post. That said there is no "International" provision on the MOA board of directors. Unless mistaken all director positions are elected regardless of geographical location. Would the MOA consider adding director positions based on the location of it's members ie: Canada, Mexico, Europe, South and Central America and Asia. Would the MOA consider a name change to the International BMW Motorcycle Owners Association.

As a Canadian I do not consider that Canada is a part of America. To us America is short for the United States of America. Canada forms a part of North America. Big difference.

International airports also serve the domestic market (I have to fly out of one tomorrow).

Crossing the international border should not be considered a deterrent as it only takes a few minutes to wait in line and answer the questions respectfully. How hard can that be.

Please do not take my post harshly as I respect the MOA for what it stands and am proud to be a member of a group that is both incorporated, having it's head office and doing business in the United States of America.

The important thing is to enjoy the ride while we can.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

well said
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753