Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Predictable

Podzo

Good responses

Great discussion from everyone. My experience (48 years) has led me to believe the BMW is the best and does justify the expense as long as you use it for what it was made for. . . i.e. a great long distance machine no matter what model especially the R and K series bikes. If your going to pay the big bucks and your going to use it (5,000 miles or more a year) get the best. Too many people pay the bucks and those machines sit in the garage way too much and don't get used. Why not buy the Jab alternatives then? Cycle World never gets that. . . looks like I have matured out of that magazine and am ready for something more Consumer oriented, critical, practical etc. You can have my GSA when you can pry my dead hands off it. But I will stick with my cheap disposable DR650 since I only use it around our small town and dirt rides a couple times a year around Utah and Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think the different bikes have their own place in the market like cars have. The Connie is the Camaro SS-Mustang GT (good performance at a relatively moderate price). The Wing is the Town Car-Deville segment leader (that is falling fast) and the K1600 is the BMW M Series or Mercedes AMG segment representative.
    You left out the RT.... what would that be?

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    You left out the RT.... what would that be?
    I would consider the RT as representative of the 5 series BMW or E series Mercedes.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

they shoulda compared it to this

http://www.smartcycleshopper.com/mot...-storm-review/

one thing the triumph guys (and like me, several have beemers) say about bmw's is that they are like too perfect appliances lacking in driver feedback.
    i like my r1200r but i love my bonnie.. more of an emotional than a technical thing.
    i'm thinking bmw might consider a retro/classic line as well as a high tech line as triumph does... fwiw, triumph does seem to be on a roll.

i'd love to see a state of the art r69s or r90s. (abs/esa/fuel injection, etc.).

of course, i'd also love to see a state of the art '57 chevy.

just sayin'
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    http://www.smartcycleshopper.com/mot...-storm-review/

one thing the triumph guys (and like me, several have beemers) say about bmw's is that they are like too perfect appliances lacking in driver feedback.

Sort of have to disagree with that.

The true appliance was my gold wing - totally souless.

The GT was solid and stable but did communicate very well

The RT was also a good platform, the GSA is all about feedback

Everybody has their own interpretation of ride quality
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

The Bloke
    [QUOTE=f14rio;
    i like my r1200r but i love my bonnie.. more of an emotional than a technical thing.
    i'm thinking bmw might consider a retro/classic line as well as a high tech line as triumph does... fwiw, triumph does seem to be on a roll.

i'd love to see a state of the art r69s or r90s. (abs/esa/fuel injection, etc.).

Seems like that is what you have
    It depends on how much riding you do i love my R1150gs with 200K on it