Thread: Camping on Mi. west shore and across the Big Bridge

Hybrid View

Camping on Mi. west shore and across the Big Bridge

Rode up from Arizona to visit Sister and family and want to see more of the state. Plan on running up to just across the Bridge and then back down Michigan's west shore line any suggestions on Camping sites friendly to Motorcycles or local favorite spots with a view? Thank You for your time and Info.
    The Older I get the Faster I use to be
    94 R1100RS

Several "bike friendly" camp grounds on the western side of the state; Cyclemore on US 31 south of Traverse city, and Hog Heaven on M37 north of Baldwin. Most campgrounds around here are usable by cycles, just a few that are RV only. We were in the U.P. last week, we Picked up C (county) 81 out of Mackinaw City, and then Lakeshore drive to Cross City. From there, we took M119 into Petosky. Wonderful roads, but bumpy and VERY busy this time of year. I'd pick up M22 out of Traverse City, Take it north to the tip of the Leelenau peninsula and then back down the Lake Michigan shoreline. Lots of State Forest campgrounds along the way, as well. If you get down to my neck of the woods, look me up and we'll have a cold beverage. Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks Bunkyone. Plan on a night north of the bridge so I can get some pic's of the Bridge at night,probably a state park. Then find the 119 to 22 and back on down sight seeing all the way.
    94 R1100RS

Java Joes in St. Ignace for breakfast. It does not look like much from the outside but enter and you will feel right at home. Coconut Pancakes, Nutella Crepes, Lobster Omlettes plus much more and awesome coffee. While in the UP you can go up to Whitefish Point and visit the lighthouse and shipwreck museum. The museum is home to the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald. Whatever the weather lower by 10 degrees for that ride along Superior. That alone makes it worth the ride on a hot day. When you cross the bridge heading south take 119 from Mackinaw City to 31 in Petoskey. 119 is the "Tunnel of Trees", you will understand after you ride it plus you get some great views of lake Michigan and go through scenic towns like Harbor Springs. From Petoskey 31 takes you on a scenic route to Traverse City. M22 from Traverse City takes you north on a wonderful ride with plenty to see and great little towns to stop in and eat or take photo ops. M22 follows the lake all the way south to pick up 31 again. Along M22 you have Sleeping Bear Dunes State Park plus other areas to camp. The park system in the UP and northern Michigan is vast. Enjoy your trip, that is beautiful country up there and I feel blessed it is only a days ride away for me to enjoy.
    Kevin
    "I ride therefore I am"

2012 1600 GTL

If you make it down south of Sleeping Bear Dunes look for PJ Hoffmaster State Park. It's located just north of Grand Haven, between Grand Haven and Muskegon. It's a wonderful park with great camping amenities and a secluded beach.

Enjoy!
    FORZA ITALIA
    2007 K1200GT

-"Are your giblets warm?" J.D., Scrubs.

Java Joe's is cool!! We had breakfast there last Monday. There is a very nice state park right along side if the straights in St. Ignace. It has a handful of lake side sites with a great view of the bridge. Take the first St. Ignace exits, east, and follow the signs. Kevin; This wonderland is only about 4 hours from my humble abode. We don't get up there nearly as often as we should. Plan to remedy that this fall... Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Thanks all. Grand Rapid BMW gave me a deal on a tire, so I'll get up there tomorrow to get it on. (Great Bunch there, went out of there way with Advice Scheduling and service to help a Rider on the Road.) Wednesday and Thursday look real good for touring. Will check out Java's and the State Park, then head up to WhiteFish to pay respects. I was living here when the Edmund went down. Then I'll check out the 119 to 20 route, take it as it goes.
    94 R1100RS