leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

alt to 30

take 309 instead it is a lot more fun
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Question What?

Quote Originally Posted by Biff's R
    I would suggest avoiding US 30 between Lima and Mid Ohio, because there are a lot of trucks, and there will be a lot of construction east of Lima. ODOT is turning US 30 into a 4 lane divided highway, and the work will be taking palce on a 26 mile stretch between Lima and Upper Sandusky.

I would suggest heading toward Marion, and then going through Mt. Gilead.

I am debating about going to the superbike weekend, since I am going to Vintage Days, but Mid Ohio is kinda on my way home from Lima.

Thanks for the info, but I am confused about where it fits.

MG
    WVCajun - Location meets Heritage!
    2006 R1200GS Fast Silver
    2004 K1200GT Orient Blue - I miss her.
    1977 R100RS Mystic Blue - I miss her.

Lightbulb Why?

The MOA Rally, is in Lima, and the races are in Lexington. US 30 runs between the two towns.
    Biff
    2004 R1150R Silver

There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule.

Loraz

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam
    take 309 instead it is a lot more fun
    By a lot more fun, do you mean twisties or great scenery? About how long would it take from Lima to Mid Ohio taking 309? My original plan was to stay the night on Wed in London, OH. Then on Thur, I was going to ride to Lima, check in and set up camp, then ride over to Mid-Ohio for the Laps and Lunch. Is that do-able? I thought I would not want to do hot laps around the course with all my camping gear on the bike. Opinion?

MG
    2006 R1200GS Fast Silver

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvcajun
    By a lot more fun, do you mean twisties or great scenery? About how long would it take from Lima to Mid Ohio taking 309? My original plan was to stay the night on Wed in London, OH. Then on Thur, I was going to ride to Lima, check in and set up camp, then ride over to Mid-Ohio for the Laps and Lunch. Is that do-able? I thought I would not want to do hot laps around the course with all my camping gear on the bike. Opinion?

MG
    I live about an hour from the track, and if youwant to bunk here, you are welcome. As far as your gear, you would have to remove it prior to getting out there doing hot laps. you can store it trackside without much worry of anyone taking anything if you really want to do the whole day.

309 is two lane road, and I prefer that over a slab ride anyday.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

If you are worried about $$$$ for riding the track, I have a good idea. You probably already know this, but there is a Laps and Lunch charity ride around the track on Thurs. It is only $20 and you get 6 laps. I paid $15 or $25 for 3 laps around Watkins Glen while at the 04 Finger Lakes Rally. I am not complaining at all because it was well worth my money.

MG
    Wow, great idea. Thanks!

I'm originally from Charleston, y'know. Stricker Rd. Still have family in that area, and I intend to visit them after the rally.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

On the way back

We may want to meet at the rally and maybe ride back together. I don't know what your plans were, but I am flexible and semi-familiar with southeast OH. Should be fun either way.

MG
    2006 R1200GS Fast Silver

We may want to meet at the rally and maybe ride back together. I don't know what your plans were, but I am flexible and semi-familiar with southeast OH. Should be fun either way.

MG
    That could work. Let's be sure and have a beer or three and discuss it.

Bob
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1
    ...proud walking jingle in the midnight sun...
    Free Smugmug Discount Coupon: mStnWv71mNkjo

Superbike

Quote Originally Posted by Emoto
    Am I the last to realise that the AMA Nationals are the weekend of July 22-24, 2005 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH? Mapsonus has those two cities at about 100 miles apart by the fastest route. This is a doubleheader weekend, meaning there will be a Superbike race on both Saturday and Sunday.

I am tempted to go see one of them. I haven't seen Superbike in person since they stopped coming to Loudon a few years ago and have never seen a race at Mid Ohio.

Thoughts?
    You're not alone. I was thinking about heading to the races saturday. Looks like the trip is a bit over an hour/hour and a half. Maybe we ought to start a small contingent planning to attend saturday's races? Send me a note if you're interested (amaiorano@caci.com). I'm coming to Lima from the Norfolk Va area. Plan to arrive Lima Thursday noonish! AL

Originally Posted by Emoto
    Am I the last to realise that the AMA Nationals are the weekend of July 22-24, 2005 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, OH? Mapsonus has those two cities at about 100 miles apart by the fastest route. This is a doubleheader weekend, meaning there will be a Superbike race on both Saturday and Sunday.
    Am I the first to notice that AMA Vintage Days are the very weekend before the Lima rally? At the very same place as the SuperBike races - Mid Ohio?

For those with a week and a day to spend in Ohio, you can:

1. Do Vintage Days http://www.amadirectlink.com/vmd/2005/home.asp
    2. Do Put-In-Bay or Cedar Point or Ohio Amish country or Ohio 555/550/26 or the special presentation of the BMW Vintage Bike exhibit at the AMA Museum
    3. Be in Lima in time to volunteer to set up the rally
    4. Do the MOA Rally, complete with all events and seminars, Closing Ceremonies, etc.
    5. Jet over to Lexington again for the Sunday SuperBike races http://www.midohio.com/events/amasuperbike.asp

Talk about a World Series of Motorcycling!

I have limited bunk space at Shaw Towers during this period. A couple or reservations have already been booked, but there's plenty of floor space/couch space for the durable sleeper.

Jim

Ol salt

Routing, Beemerville to Mid-Ohio

From Fairgrounds main Gate, go east on 309 for 69.4 miles.
    Then right on 288 for 4.1 miles.
    Then right on County Road 46 for .6 miles.
    Then left on Steam Corners-Lexington rd (C.R.37) for 5.6 miles to Mid-Ohio
    Gate. Only 1 medium size city to go thru (Marion), and 1 small town (Kenton).
    (Note)You have to exit fairgrounds to the south on S.R. 117.(traffic concerns) and go West about .2 miles to road by WalMart, go North .2 miles to S.R.309, then east to main gate(about 1/4 mile) for mileage to work. First gasoline station about 17 miles in Kenton if you don't stop at WalMart.

Constructionin OH10

Quote Originally Posted by Biff's R
    ODOT is turning US 30 into a 4 lane divided highway, and the work will be taking palce on a 26 mile stretch between Lima and Upper Sandusky.
    Bif's R- Thanks for the heads up. As usual it's the same thing every summer, ODOT has it's summer supply of the state mineral (asphalt) which will be guarded by the state animal (barricades).

Ol'Salt - Thanks for the directions to the races.

Keep the rubber side down, CG John