Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassed to be a Member

I was elated at the cheerful coping attitude of almost everyone I met at the rally. We were there to have fun and have a great time at our annual family reunion and we did!

But, as stated above, we owe the people who travel near and far better accommodations, especially for seminars. There are always such a wealth to choose from, but I passed up many because of the extreme hot conditions in dirt barns. I'm sure our board will make that part of their future planning. They are caring individuals who do us a great service.

Voni
    NOT complaining but Being Thankful
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmeister View Post
    I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club.

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event.

Maybe the next rally should be at some kind of Health Clinic or Hospital where we can all have our own air conditioned rooms with a host of nurses ready to attend to our every discomfort.

Sure it was hot, but as a "biker" you should expect that from time to time .... along with the possibility of cold, rain, wind .... and some other stuff Nature has to offer.

I feel SO badly for anyone that put effort into the rally - and there was alot of effort. I personally didn't lift a fingar but I think those who did did a great job and put on a good rally. Thank you.

With that said, its time for me to get out and ride (after I check the thermostat)
    Dude, if you think this site has a lot of "bitching" I have to assume you haven't been to very many "biker" sites, This is by far one of the most mild by comparison and I see alot more bitching by the younger crowd (under 50 ) on most sites than by the "Old Men"!

As for the heat at the rally, in such conditions a health clinic/cooling station with AC would be a good idea, for the young as well as the old(er) crowd, which is why they set up several more misting/cooling stations Friday and were giving out free water.

RM, Bitching about the bitching about the bitching

I guess that life is now bitching about the bitching about the bitching and then you die.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I'm sure our board will make that part of their future planning.
    The Board meeting was held in a barn.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    All these manly men ragging on folks for not tolerating the heat as well as they think they should have...come on up to Vermont this winter and ride with me in single digits.

People tolerate different conditions in different ways. What a boring world it would be if we were all clones!

Yes, the heat wave could not have been predicted, but it happened and kept some people away and made others uncomfortable. So what is MOA going to do to be prepared for such contingencies going forward?

Jeez, people! Let's pull some lessons learned out of this and move on!

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

From MARS
    I don't get it.

The heatwave wasn't unexpected in the near term. Maybe I'm the only one who watches TV, but the weather stations, and every national broadcast, forecast this event days beforehand. Why would anyone choose to attend, and then complain about it being hot, when they knew full well what to expect?

Attitude is the difference between adversity and adventure.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kmeister View Post
    I wasn't gonna say anything but I cant resist: I am embarrassed to be a member of this club.

I knew that the MOA was an "Old Mans Club" when I joined but I never imagined that I would be reading this much bitching and complaining after a national motorcycle event. ...

Possibly your reading is a bit selective. There are many complimentary threads and comments on how well the rally organizers handled the unusual heat. Embarrassed to be a member? Maybe the way we treated the drivers of the flame cars who only did what they were asked. But I feel the complaints about the rally are no worse nor numerous than they have been for past rallies.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by From MARS View Post
    I don't get it.

The heatwave wasn't unexpected in the near term. Maybe I'm the only one who watches TV, but the weather stations, and every national broadcast, forecast this event days beforehand. Why would anyone choose to attend, and then complain about it being hot, when they knew full well what to expect?

Attitude is the difference between adversity and adventure.
    Tom
    For us it was a 50/50. Yes we watch the weather channels and monitor on the internet. Being from Canada looking at the weather and talking about it is a pastime (we should get a life).

That said we had already pre-paid for our registration and accommodations at the University. Those three A/C units were worth every penny.

Not complaining about the weather per se, no one can change that, just that offering better accommodations to rally-goers in such heat could have taken place. Yes I know heat waves happen in July and August (when was the last time that did not happen). Same as snow and 40 below in Ottawa in the wintertime. It's how you/we deal with it that counts.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

We're not bitching about the heat, we're bitching about an organization choosing the very hottest time of the year to hold a rally.

I have attended national rallies and will attend more, but not in adverse conditions. It's no big deal to me if I miss a rally, especially one that is held under adverse conditions to the point of being miserably hot and unpleasant.

If the BMW MOA insists on having these rallies at the hottest time of year, the least they can do is have some AC available at the site.

If I go to Sedalia next summer, it's only because I'm on my way to visit my daughter in Olathe, KS. She's got central air, like most people who live in that area...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

r1100r

Didn't feel welcome

Maybe its b/c I don't belong to a local BMW MOA chapter, not that there are any conveniently near me, but I did not feel that welcome. Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around,bought things, took pictures of beautiful motorcycles, and ate some good food. It was nice to be surrounded by fellow BMW motorcycle owners but really they are older people, much older actually, that wouldn't even give me the time of day! They mostly sat in tents with their travel buddies and local chapter friends. So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.

I thought, was it me? I'm a pretty social person, versed in many things, and overall approachable.

I have to say, I'm selling my BMW this weekend and buying a Triumph this weekend with the hopes of meeting people more my age and with a little more in common.

Not sure what I was expecting, but I was honestly dissapointed. At least the 8 hours of driving was a fun learning experience.

Thank you for your time,

Talking

The guys in their mid 70s accepted the situation but the guys in their 50s whined about the heat. __________________
    Well this rally was the first Bmw rally for myself and my bride. Despite the heat, we had a great time. Residing in a tent in a feild proved to be challenging for sure, but this 50 plus six year old ex boy scout leader was happy to go to a camp withut rain for a change. It was also a great opportunity to purchase a pair of armoured mesh jackets for the ride home. The heat did pose some challenges for some, but staying hydrated, , and resting when needed got us through it all. I for one am looking forward to the next rally, where I hope to meet up with the good freinds I've made.
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around

r100r................to bad our paths didn't cross...................I'm always up for a good chat...........and I had a cooler full of Coors as well. Don't let this event change your attitude about beemer riders
    2000 R1100RT
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

BMWMCO #45

Quote Originally Posted by r1100r View Post
    So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.
    I understand how you feel. The first rally I attended - Vermont 2006 - I found it difficult to make friends, but we were staying in a hotel. We camped the next year in Wisconsin and my daughter and I volunteered. We met so many people, and made so many friends - we had a blast. I've been to every rally since then, and my daughter to them all apart from this last one. We volunteer every time and it really is like a family reunion. The MOA rally has become the main part of my summer.

If you attend another rally, volunteer. You will get an entirely new outlook on the whole rally experience.
    Dave
    2008 K1200 LT
    2004 K1200 RS

I wasn't hot until I returned home to SC, and until I read the forum.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by r1100r View Post
    Maybe its b/c I don't belong to a local BMW MOA chapter, not that there are any conveniently near me, but I did not feel that welcome. Not sure what I was expecting, but as a younger member in my 30's I felt totatlly alone. I spent 2 days there and talked to maybe 4 people for a total of 30 mins! Mostly I walked around,bought things, took pictures of beautiful motorcycles, and ate some good food. It was nice to be surrounded by fellow BMW motorcycle owners but really they are older people, much older actually, that wouldn't even give me the time of day! They mostly sat in tents with their travel buddies and local chapter friends. So where was i to fit in? I don't have any BMW riding buddies locally, I drove there to meet some and drove all the way back to CT, 4 hours, without 1 name.

I thought, was it me? I'm a pretty social person, versed in many things, and overall approachable.

I have to say, I'm selling my BMW this weekend and buying a Triumph this weekend with the hopes of meeting people more my age and with a little more in common.

Not sure what I was expecting, but I was honestly dissapointed. At least the 8 hours of driving was a fun learning experience.

Thank you for your time,
    I wish I found you, I am an old fart that has many younger friends and I allowed them space to be with themselves and enjoyed their company when able. Allow me to introduce you to the vibrate NYC young set in a short drive for you. If you stay longer I'll extend your reach.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance