Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 111

Thread: 2013 Rally - Site suggestion

  1. #61
    You stupid, fix it! r11rs94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tiverton, RI
    Posts
    5,149
    [QUOTE=119240;703057]Then get rid of "International" at the least - it's insulting to our fellow riders North & South of the USA. If MOA includes "International" riders in the Mileage Contest, Camp Gear, & Rider Performance University - then include Canada & Mexico in the 4 zones of MOA International Rally - is all I'm asking & friends who are non Americans. And yes it's insulting that they are not included in future Rally sites picked.[/QUOTE]

    Is not...
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

  2. #62
    gords4th1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    Posts
    6

    StateSide is fine by us Canucks

    My only rally was Redmond and it was GREAT !! I travelled across Canada the previous summer and that too was GREAT !!

    Personally I prefer to travel south for a rally and as a Canadian it is International.

    Drop in to the BMW Mottorad Rally / Race weekend at Mosport in Ontario for the Canadian flavor. They slotted it in August so as to not conflict with the BMWMOA International.

  3. #63
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,531
    i have a question to the folks posting here.

    how much more than than the current rally fee ($39) would you be willing to pay to have indoor air-conditioned camping, of for that matter, the whole danged rally inside this building?

    also, i'll bet there is almost definitely a beer concessionaire here, too, so figure on $5 budweisers.

    just curious.... personally i think venues like these are realistic options, but the costs are almost certain to be higher.

    ian

  4. #64
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i have a question to the folks posting here.

    how much more than than the current rally fee ($39) would you be willing to pay to have indoor air-conditioned camping, of for that matter, the whole danged rally inside this building?

    also, i'll bet there is almost definitely a beer concessionaire here, too, so figure on $5 budweisers.

    just curious.... personally i think venues like these are realistic options, but the costs are almost certain to be higher.

    ian
    I to old and broken up for the camping but I think a $10 surcharge would be fair and I don't think it would drive people away.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    i've passed this on to the right folks.

    do you have any sense of how heavy the air traffic is there? the place is right at the end of the runway for the Louisville Int'l Airport.

    Ian
    That airport is the U.S. hub of air operations for UPS. It would be fair to say a couple flights a day (24/7) go in and out of there, especially all night long! Average daily inbound/outbound flights for UPS alone is 251.

  6. #66
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,531
    hmmmm, definitely a consideration!

    (and a good argument for indoor camping....)

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Penn Hills, PA
    Posts
    541
    Indoor camping?? Really??? Living in a sterile environ, waking up to artificial lighting???? Walking zombie like not knowing if it is day or night????? Really??????
    Sounds like a bad "b" movie starring Michael York and Farrah Fawcett. Oh wait, there were some real cool holograph ideas, and there was Farrah, but still, indoor camping????????

  8. #68
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by rik View Post
    Indoor camping?? Really??? Living in a sterile environ, waking up to artificial lighting???? Walking zombie like not knowing if it is day or night????? Really??????
    Sounds like a bad "b" movie starring Michael York and Farrah Fawcett. Oh wait, there were some real cool holograph ideas, and there was Farrah, but still, indoor camping????????
    hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!!

    seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    335
    Indoor camping... done it once (3 nites) after the MOA a few years back.. at the EAA Oshkosh Airventure. At the YMCA on the indoor, padded soccer fields.
    A duct taped space of 10x12 with the tent ducted down; A/C .. fresh clean towels, spa & sauna, heated indoor/outdoor pool.... lights out at 11pm
    Didnt see an airshow all week!

  10. #70
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!!

    seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.
    Ha, Ian. Frankly, I'd either get a hotel room or stay home. Indoor "camping" would be at the bottom of my list of fun things.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  11. #71
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,289
    Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    Ha, Ian. Frankly, I'd either get a hotel room or stay home. Indoor "camping" would be at the bottom of my list of fun things.
    I've done indoor "camping" with family but they outgrew it before they started first grade.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  12. #72
    Lost again Texpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    447

    indoor bikes?

    If we "camped" indoors would we be able to park our bikes inside too? Imagine a closed building with bikes starting up all day long (can you say carbon monoxide). Hope they have a good ventilation system, but wait they couldn't or the AC would be lost.
    Now big tents(in a grassy field not a paved parking lot) for everone to camp under so they had shade all day, that's something I might consider paying extra for. Been to a rally where they had same, it was nice in the middle of the day and you didn't need the fly on your tent so it was cooler at night. Of course that might curtail some folks late night in tent activities, but we won't go there.
    Big tents would be expensive of course but if you could get a sponser for each (or several) tents that might help mitigate some of the extra cost. And like I said, I'd pay extra for that before I'd pay extra to sleep on a concrete floor.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

  13. #73
    Cannonball Rider #52 darrylri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Surf City, USA (Santa Cruz, CA)
    Posts
    4,530
    If you want "indoor camping", check out the Biker Loft Hotel Groenedijk (yes, it's in Belgium, near the Ostende ferry terminal):

    http://www.grd.be/bikersloft/



    I stayed here about 8-10 years ago, and it's pretty neat. The building is an old garment factory. The front third is a cafe/bar/rec area (the museum is new since I was there). The rear two thirds of the building is an indoor parking area for those staying at the hotel (video surveillance and locked at night), with motel rooms surrounding the parking area on two floors. There's a communal shower and restroom facility on the ground floor.

    The bar had a wide variety of beer choices (Belgium is famous for its beer). There are roll up glass doors on the cafe, so if it's nice outside, all the tables are "outside". But if it's rainy -- not too uncommon -- then you can still see the outdoors.

    From the video, it looks like they've changed the way food is done. When I was there, there was a real kitchen and restaurant that made pretty good food.

    However, I don't remember it as having any air conditioning...
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

  14. #74
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    From the video, it looks like they've changed the way food is done. When I was there, there was a real kitchen and restaurant that made pretty good food.
    11 euro for a pre-made sammich? ouch!!!

    cool place!

  15. #75
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul 56330 View Post
    If we "camped" indoors would we be able to park our bikes inside too? Imagine a closed building with bikes starting up all day long (can you say carbon monoxide). Hope they have a good ventilation system, but wait they couldn't or the AC would be lost.
    clearly you've not been to a Supercross race?

    I would imagine that this depends on the venue, obviously it would be great to park next to your bike... and I bet the HVAC in modern buildings provides plenty of ventilation while keeping the building cool.

    Now big tents(in a grassy field not a paved parking lot) for everone to camp under so they had shade all day, that's something I might consider paying extra for.

    ... snip

    Big tents would be expensive of course but if you could get a sponser for each (or several) tents that might help mitigate some of the extra cost. And like I said, I'd pay extra for that before I'd pay extra to sleep on a concrete floor.
    interesting idea. probably would need to add some of those big fans for breeze... and I wonder what a week of shade would do to the grass. but a real interesting idea.

    i didn't state my question very accurately before... the paying extra part wasn't so much for the camping indoors as it was for the cost of such a facility that provides this level of exhibit space quality. These types of places are *significantly* more expensive than the fairground type of facilities we typically rent.

    honestly, i think i've attended my last meeting or seminar in a Sheep barn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •