Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally - Site suggestion

Kidding?

You gotta be. I've been there to the HD Rally(same park) with sooooo many more bikers camping too and all there than we could ever imagine having at the BMW Event. I happen to know it works just fine, regarding space requirements. Motels are in abundance to, overflowing with'em all within a 20 mile radius, more rooms than most rallies we've had recent years and then some. These two ideas are not valid anymore for this location...There may be some other issues, but indeed not these anymore! The HD July4th event went on for a lot of years and the City of Hollister had a falling out with the HD crowd, as I hear it? It was a huge biker event, including the fairgrounds as the HQ site. Insurance and a piece of the pie$$$ came into effect, regarding City Fees, ran the HD Event out of town...Sad! So many HD'ers still show up there every year, as an impromtu get together, unorganized. I know the area well, as you too from SCruz I think probably do. Its changed so much in recxent years in growth and all for tourism, etc., that your data is not current anymore, as I see it. It still may be a sour grape spot, but one worth seeing into again. I hope its not lost from the selection process, quite as yet anyhow. At 59 and 50 year biker, I've been around to long to not know a great place in the making when I see one and you too apparently saw the same, my friend. I'll gladly work on it more IF I see interest in Cal again....Later, Randy

One more data:

Indoor space required??? We all, or most do, that Cal does not require indoor space as most Eastern sites, because the weather here is so much more an "outdoor event" to start with. Rain is a non issue in July. This park has a fairly large amount of indoor space, BUT if not enough, whats wrong with outdoors I ask? Laguna Seca was NO indoor space at all, all tents. That was not my favorite, I've already spoke on that earlier, as a poor rally. Indoors is great, but lets not kill a site for that reason PLEASE, especially in the West...Our weather(for the BETTER) is like no other in the USA. I'll try to drop this for now, as I've had my say to a large degree on the Hollister area. Its out there and I am too, for all to ask help of if required. Thanks, Randy"Polarbear"

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    hahahaha... i know SOMEONE would bitch about it!!!

seriously... i would really like to try this. use duct tape on the floor instead of pegs. we were going to do this in 2005 in Perry, GA, but the deal fell through over the beer.
    Hi Ian- If we camp indoors, where would I set up the spit for the beef?

Here's the link to the Bolado Park ("San Benito County Fair") website:
    http://www.sanbenitocountyfair.com

Here's a summary of the MOA International Rally facility requirements that I found here on the forum, from 2007:
    Here are the minimum site requirements paraphrased from a previous thread: Approx. 100 secure acres minimum site size; at least 50,000 square feet of vendor space; seminar space; camping space; availability of enough food vendors or providers to feed 8,000 - 9,000 riders; at least 2,000 motel rooms in a 20 mile radius; availability of showers and MOA beer sales permitted.
    From perusing the Bolado Park info, I find that there's only 12,000 sq. ft. of indoor space. Even if the temps are nice and the weather fair, a lot of merchants want to be inside where the place can be locked overnight. Similar issues for the vintage display and others.

Looking at Google Maps, I estimate the entire park size at about 32 acres (I couldn't find the number on their website). There are a total of 33 RV spaces available, which sounds pretty meager to me considering that a lot of merchants travel by RV.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    You gotta be. I've been there to the HD Rally(same park) with sooooo many more bikers camping too and all there than we could ever imagine having at the BMW Event. I happen to know it works just fine, regarding space requirements. Motels are in abundance to, overflowing with'em all within a 20 mile radius, more rooms than most rallies we've had recent years and then some. These two ideas are not valid anymore for this location...There may be some other issues, but indeed not these anymore! The HD July4th event went on for a lot of years and the City of Hollister had a falling out with the HD crowd, as I hear it? It was a huge biker event, including the fairgrounds as the HQ site. Insurance and a piece of the pie$$$ came into effect, regarding City Fees, ran the HD Event out of town...Sad! So many HD'ers still show up there every year, as an impromtu get together, unorganized. I know the area well, as you too from SCruz I think probably do. Its changed so much in recxent years in growth and all for tourism, etc., that your data is not current anymore, as I see it. It still may be a sour grape spot, but one worth seeing into again. I hope its not lost from the selection process, quite as yet anyhow. At 59 and 50 year biker, I've been around to long to not know a great place in the making when I see one and you too apparently saw the same, my friend. I'll gladly work on it more IF I see interest in Cal again....Later, Randy
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

See my previous message above. The Monterey fairgrounds offer about 30,000 sq. ft. of indoor space; the park is only 22 acres; they have an exclusive deal for catering/food, which likely means that the MOA would not be able to capture beer sales.

(The last item, which infuriates many, is a main reason why the rally can be held for $40. Many local rallies that offer far less cost more because of the rising costs to rent facilities.)

In the brochure, there's a kind of btw mention of a maximum of 3,000 people.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Cool Zone 4 = 2014.

As the Rally Committee mentioned at the 2011 Rally, Zone 2(Sedalia, MO) has it next year, then Zone 3. Zone 1 (West Coast) is 2014. Post #5 of this thread has the Zone map.

So all you California lobbyists start your own 2014 thread!
    Last edited by Casey; 08-22-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: corrected. Zone 1 is the West Coast. Zone 4 is the East Coast.
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    As the Rally Committee mentioned at the 2011 Rally, Zone 2 (Sedalia, MO) has it next year, then Zone 3. Zone 4 (West Coast) is 2014. Post #5 of this thread has the Zone map.

?????

The map shows west coast as Zone 1.
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

Here's a link to the whole process (had to search on RSST to find this, so don't feel bad...)

The map on that page is old....

Here is a map of the current zones.
    As the Rally Committee mentioned at the 2011 Rally, Zone 2 (Sedalia, MO) has it next year, then Zone 3. Zone 4 (West Coast) is 2014. Post #5 of this thread has the Zone map.

So all you California lobbyists start your own 2014 thread!
    Sedalia, MO is in zone 3.
    Every few years they change the zone maps and say that they are starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Isn't the Louisville Airport the hub for all FedEx air shipments?
    UPS.... same diff!

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    Sedalia, MO is in zone 3.
    Every few years they change the zone maps and say that they are starting over.

ain't it the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by rally requirements

Here are the minimum site requirements paraphrased from a previous thread: Approx. 100 secure acres minimum site size; at least 50,000 square feet of vendor space; seminar space; camping space; availability of enough food vendors or providers to feed 8,000 - 9,000 riders; at least 2,000 motel rooms in a 20 mile radius; availability of showers and MOA beer sales permitted.
    this is one big difference between our rally and a others like Goldwings or Harleys. Those rallies mostly use an event facility during the day and then everyone goes somewhere else (like their hotel) at night.

otoh, we show up and live at the facility for 4 days. This is something that many fairground owners simply don't understand when they pitch our biz.

Here's a link to the whole process (had to search on RSST to find this, so don't feel bad...)

The map on that page is old....

Here is a map of the current zones.
    So we can't expect an east coast rally again until 2016???

Quote Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
    So we can't expect an east coast rally again until 2016???
    IIRC, the Rally Search person I talked to said the site location goes Zone 4,2,3,1. 4 being PA, and 2 being MO. But that doesn't jive with the map.

Unless they had a DIFFERENT map at the time??

Perhaps someone from the Committee will drop in and clarify?
    Thank a teacher if you can read this, thank a veteran that it's in English.

D.B.Casey-MSF#133889
    2011 RT

IIRC, the Rally Search person I talked to said the site location goes Zone 4,2,3,1. 4 being PA, and 2 being MO. But that doesn't jive with the map.

Unless they had a DIFFERENT map at the time??

Perhaps someone from the Committee will drop in and clarify?
    here is the new map.... either your memory is wrong, or the person you were talking to mis-spoke.

honestly, i am on the search committee... not the selection committee, and it's confusing to me, too. add in the fact that a deal can fall through and a different site can be pulled in at the last second and it can seem completely random.

The new rotation doesn't go into effect until 2013. Here is the rotation that's planned:

2013 Zone 1 Western
    2014 Zone 3 Midwest
    2015 Zone 2 Mountain
    2016 Zone 4 Eastern