Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rally - Site suggestion

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Would camping inside air conditioned comfort be mandatory or an option with camping spaces still available outside? If optional I think it would be a great way to plan for unpredictable contingencies like record heat, heavy rains, etc. I'd be willing to spend a few bucks more so those unable to handle extreme conditions would have an alternative. For me personally, it would have to be pretty extreme for me to camp inside. Conditions at the last rally prevented me from attending because I had no way to protect my dog from the heat, but if A/C had been available I wouldn't have worried so much about that fur coat of his.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Where'd we go wrong?

I vote NO to indoor ideas. Need cool, camp higher elevations, so lets go there. Redmond at 3800' drew low cool temps at night, perfect. We can still get higher than that,however around NAmerica. Repeat(not so high, near Sea Level) HOLLISTER, CA, so near the California Coast, its frequently nice and cool as the "marine layer" from the ocean, we call it here, gets close to Hollister. Same day riding just a "few miles" from 90+ to 50s for temps and this is frequent every day Summer near our Ca. Coast...You'll have a tough time finding many better sights,imo......The County Park/Fairground(Bilado Park, spelling???) site just South of Town is Ideal and one beautiful grassy, well kept grounds. I know this is near my home(100+ miles) and I beg for volunteerism, do I not??? Anyhow, this one should bring CA back into the fold, or at least a look see...Randy"Polarbear"Owens......PS; I SURE like Canada and I know the issues, BUT maybe we can try harder again. B.C.,Canada(many places and COOL), my other vote...

ONE more thing;

California is our "MOA Rally HOME state, being "Morgan Hill,CA" was the first sight for the big rally. Am I right? Much smaller then of course, but Hollister gets us back near that beginning, just to the South of Morgan Hill. Laguna Seca National Rally was there too, I mentioned already, but that one suffered poorly. Race track idea was somewhat of a chill on attendance I think and lacked facilities bigtime. Hollister, a huge thumbs UP. My one vote, can I be seen among 40000 members waving my arms! Randy

The Bloke

Smile Rally Sites

Not sure I would be a great fan of indoor camping anywhere
    I slept very comfortably in my chair outside my tent one night in Bloomsburg
    Hollister sounds like it would be a good plan as its many years since the MOA had a Califonia rally

California Coast

Somewhere from San Diego to Point Reyes except LA.
    Also Lake Tahoe

Bolado Park:)

Got the spelling here. Bolado Park, Tres Pinos,CA, 7 miles South of HollisterCA, Hwy25. Home of the San Benito County Fair and tons of other stuff. There website has plenty of pics, so Google search it, an easy find. We have lots of dirt adventure for the/my GSA riding, paved "lengendary"roads to drool over, non better and temps within reason so close to the Pacific Coast, less than 30-40minute ride to Monterey,Santa Cruz areas. Some of the absol;ute BEST wine country just a really short ride(1 hour+) South all around Paso RoblesCA and the Coast areas there, "taking over" Napa Valley or at least an equal in performance wine making facilities. Too many to visit in a week. SF and San Jose is an hour+ North for city folks needing a fix on bright lights and the GG Bridge. Hollister Airport, a favorite of mine, HOME to many "active flying"WW2 warbirds to visit. My pilot blood showing here....Just too much overload and stuff to do, so my LAST post bragging about my rally site pic. Should be a no brainer, just what year???! Happy Trails ALL, Randy

Logistics for a Canadian Site

While I understand that there were many issues with customs, etc for the Trenton Rally, I'm sure the logistical nightmare can be overcome. If there is a convoy of MOA, vendors, suppliers, etc that come across the border at the same time in the same place (especially with the assistance of somebody like, say, UPS), the headaches could disappear. After all, NASCAR, F1, Indy Racing League and other racing series seem to enjoy coming to Canada on an annual basis. None of these organizations seem to have any sort of problem getting their cars, equipment, team members, souvenir trailers, etc into Canada and back. The first time NASCAR's Busch series raced in Mexico, all the teams met at the border, UPS had customs packages for them and away they went. 86 cars, parts, crews and swag.

What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough desire by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.

If you want to consider a western Canadian site, the Camrose Regional Exhibition grounds have pretty much everything you are looking for. Lots of hotel space within and hour of the site for those who don't want to camp (seems to me the best hotel prices for Gillette were 40 miles away). Banff is 3 hours away. Other destination rides are close by. For those with lots of time, the Calgary Stampede usually ends the weekend before the MOA Rally.

Just my opinion.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagazoo View Post
    While I understand that there were many issues with customs, etc for the Trenton Rally, I'm sure the logistical nightmare can be overcome. If there is a convoy of MOA, vendors, suppliers, etc that come across the border at the same time in the same place (especially with the assistance of somebody like, say, UPS), the headaches could disappear. After all, NASCAR, F1, Indy Racing League and other racing series seem to enjoy coming to Canada on an annual basis. None of these organizations seem to have any sort of problem getting their cars, equipment, team members, souvenir trailers, etc into Canada and back. The first time NASCAR's Busch series raced in Mexico, all the teams met at the border, UPS had customs packages for them and away they went. 86 cars, parts, crews and swag.

What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough desire by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.

If you want to consider a western Canadian site, the Camrose Regional Exhibition grounds have pretty much everything you are looking for. Lots of hotel space within and hour of the site for those who don't want to camp (seems to me the best hotel prices for Gillette were 40 miles away). Banff is 3 hours away. Other destination rides are close by. For those with lots of time, the Calgary Stampede usually ends the weekend before the MOA Rally.

Just my opinion.
    Just got back from Vancouver (by plane) and would make every attempt to make the National if it were scheduled for Western Canada.

Very well thought out post.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

ME too:)

BC Canada has got to be one of the best riding areas I've ever been. Surely ranks high. Alberta too, near the Rockies. Just maybe its our 10000 attendee mark, we will reach there? How ironic that would be, for our International Org... Randy

How about

The Whitehouse front lawn. we could use the capitol from GS.
    http://www.aoc.gov/cc/cc_map.cfm Pick the next suggestion
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Got the spelling here. Bolado Park, Tres Pinos,CA, 7 miles South of HollisterCA, Hwy25. Home of the San Benito County Fair and tons of other stuff.
    randy - according to their web site, they have less than 25% of the indoor exhibit space we need. of course, it never rains there so....

there sure is good riding around there, too.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagazoo View Post
    What I am saying is that if there is a strong enough budget and staff by the MOA, another Canadian rally site is possible.
    fixed.

not to mock our very small, hard-working staff or our budget driven by a $39 fee from 8-9k people, or our hundreds of independent vendors but we are not the IRL, NASCAR or F1 by a *very* long shot.

Whistler would be my choice.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Would camping inside air conditioned comfort be mandatory or an option with camping spaces still available outside?
    not sure, since this is all hypothetical, but in Louisville, you'd probably want to be indoors because otherwise you'd be camping at the end of the runways for the very busy Louisville International Airport.

Isn't the Louisville Airport the hub for all FedEx air shipments?
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Bolado Park at Hollister also doesn't begin to have the space that BMW MOA wants for camping, nor are there anywhere near enough hotel rooms nearby.

A few years ago (in another rally thread), I looked at all or nearly all of the county fairgrounds in California, and at Bolado Park (because it is a great location). Very few could meet the indoor space requirements; all failed for some reason or another.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com